From: ap-gto@... [mailto:ap-gto@...]
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 7:07 PM
To: ap-gto@...
Subject: [ap-gto] Error : Set Allocations Failed (APCC)

I've been getting this error everytime I fire up APCC recently. It happens on initial startup and I have to close the
program down and restart it and then things fire up properly.

What is causing this and what do I have to do to rectify it?

I'm on APCC v1.6.0.4

John Stiner

I often get the same message. It says “Failed to set allocations.” I have to reboot my laptop and start over. I assumed it was a Windows problem as APCC still launches. At least for me, the driver that won’t launch after i get the message.

Ray Gralak

I often get the same message. It says “Failed to set allocations.” I have to reboot my laptop and start over. I
assumed it was a Windows problem as APCC still launches. At least for me, the driver that won’t launch after i get
the message.
Thanks, I'll take a look at the driver code tonight to see if there might be anything in there that matches that phrase. It sounds like it could be a database message. Maybe try renaming the "settings.apdb" file in C:\ProgramData\Astro-Physics in case it has become corrupted. Note that if you do that you will need to reenter your driver settings.

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro V3: http://www.ccdware.com

I often get the same message. It says “Failed to set allocations.” I have to reboot my laptop and start over. I
assumed it was a Windows problem as APCC still launches. At least for me, the driver that won’t launch after i get
the message.

John Stiner

My apologies. It just did it again. “Cannot set allocations” is the exact error message.

Ray Gralak

I could not find that message either, so it's not clear where it is coming from. Maybe try renaming your settings files, in case one of them is corrupted.

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro V3: http://www.ccdware.com

My apologies. It just did it again. “Cannot set allocations” is the exact error message.

John Stiner

Thanks for checking. I’ll see what I can do.

Ray Gralak

Thanks for checking. I’ll see what I can do.
If you configure APCC to not connect to the ASCOM driver, do you still see this error message?

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro V3: http://www.ccdware.com

Thanks for checking. I’ll see what I can do.

Hemant Hariyani

I have seen that message before. I am wondering if it is related to virtual com ports.

Regards
Hemant

On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 11:52 PM, 'Ray Gralak (Groups)' groups3@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

I could not find that message either, so it's not clear where it is coming from. Maybe try renaming your settings files, in case one of them is corrupted.

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro V3: http://www.ccdware.com

Hi Hemant,

When you have seen this, did you notice if the virtual ports did not get allocated?

Author of APCC (Astro-Physics Command Center): http://www.astro-
physics.com/index.htm?products/accessories/software/apcc/apcc <http://www.astro-
physics.com/index.htm?products/accessories/software/apcc/apcc>
Author of PEMPro V3: http://www.ccdware.com

Ray,

I cannot say for sure - but possibly. I have had problems with virtual ports quite a few times and I have seen this message in the past. Cannot be certain about the correlation though. I will try launching APCC after fresh boot to see if I can find a pattern.

Regards
Hemant

On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 9:48 AM, 'Ray Gralak (Groups)' groups3@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Hi Hemant,

When you have seen this, did you notice if the virtual ports did not get allocated?

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro V3: http://www.ccdware.com

This particular message has been seen for years in various applications, including Chrome, so I don’t think it is something specific to apcc and the driver. The only possible solution I saw was a registry repair. First, however I would recommend trying a full uninstall then reinstall (including virtual ports) of apcc and the driver.

<http://physics.com/index.htm?products/accessories/software/apcc/apcc> <http://www.astro-
> physics.com/index.htm?products/accessories/software/apcc/apcc
<http://physics.com/index.htm?products/accessories/software/apcc/apcc> >
> Author of PEMPro V3: http://www.ccdware.com
> Author of Astro-Physics V2 ASCOM Driver: http://www.gralak.com/apdriver
<http://www.gralak..com/apdriver>
> Author of PulseGuide: http://www.pulseguide.com

dvuolhhr6nx4a532a3phnju3zs6lzvlgxdl2wzaf@...

So I have a bit more wrt this error message. Initially the "Cannot Set Allocation" error message comes up in a little box followed by the following (see pics) if I try to connect the AP V2 Driver manually in APCC, by hitting the button for it:

See three pics error, error1 and error2

dvuolhhr6nx4a532a3phnju3zs6lzvlgxdl2wzaf@...

I hope this doesn't end up as a double post (Yahoo Groups doesn't seem to like my other computer).

Aside from the initial Allocation error message, which does seem to occur as APCC can't create the Virtual Port for the AP V2 Driver, here are some follow on messages that pop up once I manually hit the AP V2 Driver button:

See the Phots under "APCC Error"

Ray Gralak

Hi Tony,

I posted a possible solution earlier(uninstall/reinstall). Did you try that?

The error message is unrelated to anything Apcc or the driver is doing, but is likely caused by corrupted registry entries. The same error has been seen by some users when running Google Chrome, and many other applications.

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro V3: http://www.ccdware.com

I hope this doesn't end up as a double post (Yahoo Groups doesn't seem to like my other computer).

Aside from the initial Allocation error message, which does seem to occur as APCC can't create the Virtual Port for
the AP V2 Driver, here are some follow on messages that pop up once I manually hit the AP V2 Driver button:

See the Phots under "APCC Error"

Bill Long

I blame the Space Needle. 😉

Looks like a memory allocation error of some sort. Did you try the simple reboot fix?

I hope this doesn't end up as a double post (Yahoo Groups doesn't seem to like my other computer).

Aside from the initial Allocation error message, which does seem to occur as APCC can't create the Virtual Port for the AP V2 Driver, here are some follow on messages that pop up once I manually hit the AP V2 Driver button:

See the Phots under "APCC Error"

Hemant Hariyani

I just faced this problem. The first error popup was "Cannot set allocations". This was followed by:
"An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format. (Exception from HRESULT:0x8007000B)"

I sent the report to AP.

Regards
Hemant

On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 10:45 AM, 'Ray Gralak (Groups)' groups3@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

This particular message has been seen for years in various applications, including Chrome, so I don’t think it is something specific to apcc and the driver. The only possible solution I saw was a registry repair. First, however I would recommend trying a full uninstall then reinstall (including virtual ports) of apcc and the driver.

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro V3: http://www.ccdware.com

The HRESULT error code is thrown when there is an incompatibility between 32 and 64 bit.

Hemant, can you run WINVER and post the result?

I just faced this problem. The first error popup was "Cannot set allocations". This was followed by:
"An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format. (Exception from HRESULT:0x8007000B)"

I sent the report to AP.

Regards
Hemant

On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 10:45 AM, 'Ray Gralak (Groups)' groups3@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

This particular message has been seen for years in various applications, including Chrome, so I don’t think it is something specific to apcc and the driver. The only possible solution I saw was a registry repair. First, however I would recommend trying a full uninstall then reinstall (including virtual ports) of apcc and the driver.

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro V3: http://www.ccdware.com

The error message occurred deep inside the .Net framework. The error message indicates a corrupt file or has an unexpected format (32/64 bit).

So, as I said earlier I think this may point to a registry corruption. If the registry is corrupted the .Net framework might be trying to load the wrong DLL.

As I said earlier, please try uninstalling/reinstalling APCC.

gto@...> wrote:

This particular message has been seen for years in various applications, including Chrome, so I don’t think it
is something specific to apcc and the driver. The only possible solution I saw was a registry repair. First, however I
would recommend trying a full uninstall then reinstall (including virtual ports) of apcc and the driver.

-Ray Gralak
Author of APCC (Astro-Physics Command Center): http://www.astro-
physics.com/index.htm?products/accessories/software/apcc/apcc <http://www.astro-
physics.com/index.htm?products/accessories/software/apcc/apcc>
Author of PEMPro V3: http://www.ccdware.com

Restarting the application worked just fine. Could it still be registry corruption?

Regards
Hemant