Remote Desktop PC access on Ad Hoc Network

Wayne Hixson

Just got a Primaluce Eagle 2 Astro computer, sitting on my AP1100. Love it so far - runs all my sw, connects to all the hw, and manages power nicely. But have run into a connectivity issue that would apply in some remote observing situations. I can connect into it with my iPad or my laptop using Jump Desktop or Windows RDP when it’s connected to our local WiFi lan. However, when running the Ad Hoc network provided by the Eagle, I can only connect from the iPad. I can get to the point of entering username and pw on my laptop but it gives me an error message like the pw is wrong. I’d really prefer using the laptop rather than the iPad.

Has anyone run into a situation of remoting into a win 10 machine from another Win 10 machine on an Ad Hoc network?

Thanks,

Wayne

Bill Long

Yeah, I had to go into the firewall and make a rule to allow traffic to the Win10 machine from the network address range in question. 

Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2018 3:40 PM
To: ap-gto@...
Subject: [ap-gto] Remote Desktop PC access on Ad Hoc Network

Just got a Primaluce Eagle 2 Astro computer, sitting on my AP1100. Love it so far - runs all my sw, connects to all the hw, and manages power nicely. But have run into a connectivity issue that would apply in some remote observing situations. I can connect into it with my iPad or my laptop using Jump Desktop or Windows RDP when it’s connected to our local WiFi lan. However, when running the Ad Hoc network provided by the Eagle, I can only connect from the iPad. I can get to the point of entering username and pw on my laptop but it gives me an error message like the pw is wrong. I’d really prefer using the laptop rather than the iPad.

Has anyone run into a situation of remoting into a win 10 machine from another Win 10 machine on an Ad Hoc network?

Thanks,

Wayne

Wayne Hixson

Thanks Bill,

Did you have to do that on both machines?

Bill Long

No, just on the destination. 

Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2018 3:55 PM
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Remote Desktop PC access on Ad Hoc Network

Thanks Bill,

Did you have to do that on both machines?

Eric Claeys

If you are getting the login prompt from the Eagle your firewall is probably set up fine. I had to login as "eagle\primalucelab", rather than just "primalucelab". When using just the login name Windows 10 would appear to use its computer name as the domain, and that is not a valid login on the Eagle.

On my setup the Eagle will often BSOD when starting APCC. I believe it is when APCC initializes the virtual ports. Reinstalling APCC fixes it until the next time I turn the Eagle on. This has happened several times.

Wayne Hixson

Hi Eric, thanks. That sounds reasonable and explains maybe why the iPad connection works. I will try it later. I haven’t had the problem with APCC, knock on wood.

I’ve only had the Eagle a couple days, with one night’s experience last night and it ran great with many windows open. Very responsive, almost like directly using the PC, no lag. One issue I had was in the Eagle control software, it disconnected and the dew heater would shut off even when I reconnected though I’d designated it to come on at startup. Also it made an error in saving the startup behaviors of the 3 RCA ports. Do you have any experience with using those ports? I have sent a note to the guys at Primaluce no response yet.

Thanks again, I’ll let you know how it works out. Glad to find a fellow Eagle user here on the forum.

Wayne

Wayne Hixson

Eric, that works!! I can log on using eagle\primaluclab using windows RDP. The only problem is display resolution is wrong, tiny icons and distorted Eagle2 management screen. Text and diagrams don't align.

Micah Smith <micahlsmith@...>

I did. I changed the login to use my msn account instead of local machine.

On Mar 10, 2018 6:41 PM, "wayneh9026@... [ap-gto]" <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Thanks,

Wayne

Eric Claeys

Wayne,

When you start Remote Desktop and get the initial dialog box, click on the "Show Options" on the bottom left, then click on the "Display" tab.  You can set the resolution to whatever you want.  I have mine at 1920x1080 since that's the size monitor I have.

You can set the state of the powered devices (like the three RCA plugs) when the computer comes up and goes down.  If your Eagle control software disconnects often, you may want to set the "Configuration before shutdown".  I have a dew heater on one of the ports but don't use it much so haven't seen the issue you have.

I haven't had much luck with the four USB ports that you can power on and off.  I had to move the mount and camera USB cables to the USB 3.0 ports, since when they were plugged into the 2.0 ports they didn't appear on the Eagle.

Wayne Hixson

Hi Micah, thanks! I had read that Primaluce recommended against changing login settings, but good to know it works. Might I ask what Remote Desktop app you’re using, and if you’re remoting in from a PC or a Mac?

Thanks, Wayne

Micah Smith <micahlsmith@...>

I use remote desktop in Windows 10. I leave laptops out in the driveway then come back inside and remote in to them over WiFi. I use 2 gb routers to go from one side of the house to outside in the driveway on the other.

I use my msn account to log in to everything so remote connection from one machine to the next is easy. While my images are shooting I transfer them in to my desktop where I can get everything prepped.

I just started shooting from 3 scopes at once so this season is about to get interesting

On Wed, Mar 14, 2018, 1:55 PM wayneh9026@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Hi Micah, thanks! I had read that Primaluce recommended against changing login settings, but good to know it works. Might I ask what Remote Desktop app you’re using, and if you’re remoting in from a PC or a Mac?

Thanks, Wayne

Wayne Hixson

Lol! So you’ll have 3 separate sessions?

On Saturday, March 17, 2018, 2:15 PM, Micah Smith micahlsmith@... [ap-gto] wrote:

I use remote desktop in Windows 10. I leave laptops out in the driveway then come back inside and remote in to them over WiFi. I use 2 gb routers to go from one side of the house to outside in the driveway on the other.

I use my msn account to log in to everything so remote connection from one machine to the next is easy. While my images are shooting I transfer them in to my desktop where I can get everything prepped.

I just started shooting from 3 scopes at once so this season is about to get interesting

On Wed, Mar 14, 2018, 1:55 PM wayneh9026@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Thanks, Wayne

Joe Zeglinski

Hi Micah,

While Microsoft’s “Remote Desktop” is OK when starting out ... consider using a free (for non-commercial users) copy of TEAMVIEWER.

The big advantage of the latter, besides not needing a PRO version of Windows on each computer – is that BOTH PC screens & mice  remain LIVE – you can operate the mount or control your imaging program,  from indoors or outdoors. The outdoor PC does NOT logout and its screen  doesn’t go black, when you go indoors, and you don’t have to login again, on either side, as you do in “MS Remote Desktop”. You can also have friends login, or login from other computers in the house,  into your outdoor remote scope computer, to share the experience, even using their own mouse, if you let them participate fully.

It is far more convenient, with added benefits like File Transfer – in both directions.
There are of course other (subscription based) remote control programs.
– Microsoft has always been a rather chincy,  “bare bones” Remote,  and forces you to install a more expensive Windows OS. Also, you can’t operate your scope computer for a “show-n-tell”,  with that  MS version,  from anywhere else, like a friend’s place, unless they also have the PRO version installed.

Joe Z.

Wayne Hixson

Joe, I used the freeware version of TeamViewer for quite a while but I got tired of it frequently reminding me that I was used my a free version and making me reconnect. Does it still do that? 

Waynr

On Mar 17, 2018, at 2:37 PM, 'Joseph Zeglinski' J.Zeglinski@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Hi Micah,

While Microsoft’s “Remote Desktop” is OK when starting out ... consider using a free (for non-commercial users) copy of TEAMVIEWER.

The big advantage of the latter, besides not needing a PRO version of Windows on each computer – is that BOTH PC screens & mice  remain LIVE – you can operate the mount or control your imaging program,  from indoors or outdoors. The outdoor PC does NOT logout and its screen  doesn’t go black, when you go indoors, and you don’t have to login again, on either side, as you do in “MS Remote Desktop”. You can also have friends login, or login from other computers in the house,  into your outdoor remote scope computer, to share the experience, even using their own mouse, if you let them participate fully.

It is far more convenient, with added benefits like File Transfer – in both directions.
– Microsoft has always been a rather chincy,  “bare bones” Remote,  and forces you to install a more expensive Windows OS. Also, you can’t operate your scope computer for a “show-n-tell”,  with that  MS version,  from anywhere else, like a friend’s place, unless they also have the PRO version installed.

Joe Z.

Greg Salyer

I totally agree, but don't use version 13. It has better high dpi support but currently lacks many features (like file transfer). It should have been released only as a Beta. They do provide back versions. Get version 12. Also, to avoid disconnects you must "accept" "Incoming LAN connections" under Extras/Options/General. Teamviewer also allows control from an iPhone or iPad (and I suspect Android as well).

Greg

PS: I also like and use Radmin

Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2018 5:38 PM
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Re: Remote Desktop PC access on Ad Hoc Network

Hi Micah,

Joe Z.

Joe Zeglinski

Hi Wayne,

Is this disconnect something new in version 13?

Like you, I used TV for probably 10 years, hassle free. Used version 13 today, for most of the afternoon, never got disconnected, no warnings, just a “polite Thank You” for using TeamViewer ... AFTER I logged out.

It didn’t disconnect me in the 4 hours I was using it, so I don’t know why you are having a problem. That’s weird. Did you somehow download a trial “commercial user” version”. I think TV Corp is pretty wary and checks if you are suspected of using it for business. Don’t know what they may “snoop” for, in the transactions – if they actually do that. Perhaps there are “terms of service” that you acknowledge their right to do that – probably.

I have heard of cases where so-called “home users” got caught and cancelled.

Anyway, so far, the latest TV version is behaving no different from years of the older ones.
I would curious what you or anyone else discovers about your TV situation. I don’t think TV changed the rules for eligibility.

Joe

Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2018 5:44 PM

Joe, I used the freeware version of TeamViewer for quite a while but I got tired of it frequently reminding me that I was used my a free version and making me reconnect. Does it still do that? 

Waynr

On Mar 17, 2018, at 2:37 PM, 'Joseph Zeglinski' J.Zeglinski@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Hi Micah,

Joe Z.

Joe Zeglinski

Greg,

Are you saying that TV does NOT have “File Transfer”, in the free personal use version ?
I used it an hour ago, on TV version 13, and on past versions for years. Unfortunately, it isn’t File “Drag-n-Drop”, but does quite well, once you set up the from/to (left/right) pointers on its File Transfer screen.

I mostly use it for my backyard remote scope, so yes, you have to “Accept Incoming LAN connections” – obviously, which isn’t a problem for an internal - home LAN.  In past years, I did get random disconnects, and was going to eventually give TV a hard time on that issue. Of course, turning on the microwave oven for rewarming my coffee, will always disconnect after about 30 seconds – that’s just the nature of 2G (2.4 GHZ)communications, and I should switch to 5G frequencies on my next Router. But, to my utter surprise, the problem FINALLY disappeared on its own, about half a year ago, and I never got a disconnect since. Hopefully, the recent version 13,  doesn’t, as you suggest screw that up again.

If TV ever gets nasty, which I doubt, then I will have to find some other “Remote app” – but definitely NOT Microsoft’s lame Remote Desktop version, as it has been from day one. I think the reason why Microsoft didn’t make a “decent” Remote, is because they were forced to comply with their third party software companies – not to compete with their better commercial versions. Microsoft treats commercial customers and probably developers well, and Home Users customers as cannon fodder.

I think the folks at TeamViewer are doing a great job on their commercial product support product – with my hardiest gratitude and  thanks, as  a “personal use only” customer – and hope their quality service  and performance continues as it has been.

Joe Z.

Joel Short

I've been using Teamviewer also for years, including now on version 13.  There was a short time when 13 came out that is was giving annoying warnings and promotions, but those have ceased for a while now.  

I never get disconnected as long as there is a stable network.  Quite often I forget to exit TV before I go to bed and wake up the next morning and TV is still connected to the remote PC.  

I've never quite understood why people like Windows RD when much better options like TV are available for free.
joel

Greg Salyer

No, as far as I know disconnect is not one of the problems with version 13. Of course as soon as I found fie transfers weren't supported yet I dropped it and went back to version 12 so I don't have a lot of experience with it. I then went on the web and found a lot of people went back to 12 because of missing functions such as file transfer, remote print and clipboard transfer. If your using such functions then I can't understand what's going on. The look and feel is totally different than version 12. The basic stuff seemed to work just fine but if the missing functions are hidden somewhere I didn't see where. Are you sure your on version 13?

Greg  

Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2018 7:19 PM

Hi Wayne,

Is this disconnect something new in version 13?

Like you, I used TV for probably 10 years, hassle free. Used version 13 today, for most of the afternoon, never got disconnected, no warnings, just a “polite Thank You” for using TeamViewer .... AFTER I logged out.

It didn’t disconnect me in the 4 hours I was using it, so I don’t know why you are having a problem. That’s weird. Did you somehow download a trial “commercial user” version”. I think TV Corp is pretty wary and checks if you are suspected of using it for business. Don’t know what they may “snoop” for, in the transactions – if they actually do that. Perhaps there are “terms of service” that you acknowledge their right to do that – probably.

I have heard of cases where so-called “home users” got caught and cancelled.

Anyway, so far, the latest TV version is behaving no different from years of the older ones.

I would curious what you or anyone else discovers about your TV situation. I don’t think TV changed the rules for eligibility.

Joe

Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2018 5:44 PM

Waynr

Hi Micah,

Joe Z.

Stuart Heggie <stuart.j.heggie@...>

I've been using v 13 since it came out. It totally does file transfers. 

Stuart

On Sat, Mar 17, 2018 at 7:48 PM, buckeyestargazer@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

I've been using Teamviewer also for years, including now on version 13.  There was a short time when 13 came out that is was giving annoying warnings and promotions, but those have ceased for a while now.  

I never get disconnected as long as there is a stable network.  Quite often I forget to exit TV before I go to bed and wake up the next morning and TV is still connected to the remote PC.  

I've never quite understood why people like Windows RD when much better options like TV are available for free.
joel