A-P1100 Absolute Encoders installed by Astro-Physics?

topboxman

Rolando and others at A-P,

I found the link about buying a separate Absolute Encoder for my A-P1100GTO built in 8/26/2013 (Serial #11014) at:

http://www.astro-physics.com/index.htm?products/mounts/absolute-encoders/1600-1100ae

I was not aware that you already have Absolute Encoder Kits available to be installed by the customers. My question is can I ship my mount to you for you to install and test Absolute Encoders and ship the mount back to me? If this is possible, is there an extra charge for you to install AE and how much would it be?

Thank you,
Peter

David

Peter,

Its super easy to do yourself.  They literally just drop in place, secured with several screws, and a few new cables.  The cost for shipping back and forth would not be worth it.  I was slow and cautious and it took me maybe an hour or so to get the new hardware into the mount, and a few minutes to install the software and setup.  It is not complex at all.  Do it yourself.

David

On Mar 1, 2018, at 2:08 PM, pnagy@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Rolando and others at A-P,

I found the link about buying a separate Absolute Encoder for my A-P1100GTO built in 8/26/2013 (Serial #11014) at:

http://www.astro-physics.com/index.htm?products/mounts/absolute-encoders/1600-1100ae

I was not aware that you already have Absolute Encoder Kits available to be installed by the customers. My question is can I ship my mount to you for you to install and test Absolute Encoders and ship the mount back to me? If this is possible, is there an extra charge for you to install AE and how much would it be?

Thank you,
Peter

Roland Christen

We set the encoder rings into a special carrier assembly and precision align them for zero runout. That assembly then bolts onto the back of the 1100/1600 shaft on both axes. It's held on by 6 screws and you don't have to worry about any alignment on the rings. The encoder optics are attached by 2 screws on the outside of the axes and pop right in. The alignment of these is quite simple. The only other thing to do is to activate the encoder software in the CP4.

Tomorrow I will make a short video showing how the encoders are attached and post it up to our U-Tube channel.

[...]

Hi Rolando and David,

That's good to know that installing AE into existing A-P1100 mounts is easy. I am myself pretty handy with mechanical stuff so I should not be worried about it. I thought the customer would have to do some kind of extensive alignments in the encoders but I was wrong.

I look forward to viewing your Youtube video about installing AE in A-P1100/1600 mounts.

Peter

---In ap-gto@..., <chris1011@...> wrote :

[...]

Bill Long

I look forward to hearing your experience with them, Peter.

[...]

W Hilmo

I installed the encoders in my AP1600.  It was quite easy.  The only adjustment I needed was to make sure that the read heads had good signal throughout the entire range of movement of each axis.  It took about 5 minutes per read head, so 10 minutes total.

[...]

Mike Shade

In installing encoders on a 1600, did you have to disassemble anything or move the mount?  I have a 1600 and it has a hefty load on it, I think that the OTA would have to come off (a major pain that takes three or four people) and the mount moved.  This has prohibited me from really thinking about this.

Mike

W Hilmo

The read heads could be installed with the mount loaded.  I would not attempt to install the encoder rings without unloading the mount and separating the axes.

If I remember right, to install the declination ring, you need to remove the counterweight shaft, and the lower cover that the counterweight shaft threads into.  To install the RA ring, you need to remove the bottom plate of the RA housing.  If you use the RAPAS, you would potentially need to recollimated it after installing the encoder ring.

If you were to do this with the mount loaded, you would need to position the axes so that you had access to the openings.  For the declination axis, you would be working with the counterweights and shaft removed.  With a significant load, I would not do this.  To get sufficient access to the RA housing, I needed to set the polar alignment axis as if I were at the equator.  So at a minimum, you would need to re-polar align.

The other factor was that I found that the encoder rings would not seat properly until the mount and rings were at the same temperature.  I tried to fit them right after bringing the mount into the house.  At that time, the mount was about 25F cooler than the encoder rings and the fit was too snug.  After letting the mount acclimate to room temperature for a few hours, I was able to install them without trouble.