A-P1100 Absolute Encoders installed by Astro-Physics?

topboxman

Rolando and others at A-P,

I found the link about buying a separate Absolute Encoder for my A-P1100GTO built in 8/26/2013 (Serial #11014) at:

http://www.astro-physics.com/index.htm?products/mounts/absolute-encoders/1600-1100ae

I was not aware that you already have Absolute Encoder Kits available to be installed by the customers. My question is can I ship my mount to you for you to install and test Absolute Encoders and ship the mount back to me? If this is possible, is there an extra charge for you to install AE and how much would it be?

Thank you,
Peter

David

Peter,

Its super easy to do yourself.  They literally just drop in place, secured with several screws, and a few new cables.  The cost for shipping back and forth would not be worth it.  I was slow and cautious and it took me maybe an hour or so to get the new hardware into the mount, and a few minutes to install the software and setup.  It is not complex at all.  Do it yourself.

David

On Mar 1, 2018, at 2:08 PM, pnagy@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

I found the link about buying a separate Absolute Encoder for my A-P1100GTO built in 8/26/2013 (Serial #11014) at:

http://www.astro-physics.com/index.htm?products/mounts/absolute-encoders/1600-1100ae

I was not aware that you already have Absolute Encoder Kits available to be installed by the customers. My question is can I ship my mount to you for you to install and test Absolute Encoders and ship the mount back to me? If this is possible, is there an extra charge for you to install AE and how much would it be?

Thank you,
Peter

Roland Christen

We set the encoder rings into a special carrier assembly and precision align them for zero runout. That assembly then bolts onto the back of the 1100/1600 shaft on both axes. It's held on by 6 screws and you don't have to worry about any alignment on the rings. The encoder optics are attached by 2 screws on the outside of the axes and pop right in. The alignment of these is quite simple. The only other thing to do is to activate the encoder software in the CP4.

Tomorrow I will make a short video showing how the encoders are attached and post it up to our U-Tube channel.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: 'Konstantin v. Poschinger' k.poschinger@... [ap-gto]
Sent: Thu, Mar 1, 2018 7:33 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] A-P1100 Absolute Encoders installed by Astro-Physics?

Peter,

Its super easy to do yourself.  They literally just drop in place, secured with several screws, and a few new cables.  The cost for shipping back and forth would not be worth it.  I was slow and cautious and it took me maybe an hour or so to get the new hardware into the mount, and a few minutes to install the software and setup.  It is not complex at all.  Do it yourself.

David

http://www.astro-physics .com/index.htm?products/mounts/absolute-encoders/1600-1100ae

Thank you,
Peter

topboxman

Hi Rolando and David,

That's good to know that installing AE into existing A-P1100 mounts is easy. I am myself pretty handy with mechanical stuff so I should not be worried about it. I thought the customer would have to do some kind of extensive alignments in the encoders but I was wrong.

I look forward to viewing your Youtube video about installing AE in A-P1100/1600 mounts.

Peter

---In ap-gto@..., <chris1011@...> wrote :

We set the encoder rings into a special carrier assembly and precision align them for zero runout. That assembly then bolts onto the back of the 1100/1600 shaft on both axes. It's held on by 6 screws and you don't have to worry about any alignment on the rings. The encoder optics are attached by 2 screws on the outside of the axes and pop right in. The alignment of these is quite simple. The only other thing to do is to activate the encoder software in the CP4.

Tomorrow I will make a short video showing how the encoders are attached and post it up to our U-Tube channel.

Rolando

To: 'Konstantin v. Poschinger' k.poschinger@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...>

Peter,

David

http://www.astro-physics .com/index.htm?products/mounts/absolute-encoders/1600-1100ae

Thank you,
Peter

Bill Long

I look forward to hearing your experience with them, Peter. 

From: ap-gto@... on behalf of pnagy@... [ap-gto] Sent: Thursday, March 1, 2018 6:23 PM
To: ap-gto@...

Hi Rolando and David,

That's good to know that installing AE into existing A-P1100 mounts is easy. I am myself pretty handy with mechanical stuff so I should not be worried about it. I thought the customer would have to do some kind of extensive alignments in the encoders but I was wrong.

I look forward to viewing your Youtube video about installing AE in A-P1100/1600 mounts.

Peter

---In ap-gto@..., wrote :

Rolando

To: 'Konstantin v. Poschinger' k.poschinger@... [ap-gto]

Peter,

David

http://www.astro-physics ..com/index.htm?products/mounts/absolute-encoders/1600-1100ae

Thank you,
Peter

W Hilmo

I installed the encoders in my AP1600.  It was quite easy.  The only adjustment I needed was to make sure that the read heads had good signal throughout the entire range of movement of each axis.  It took about 5 minutes per read head, so 10 minutes total.

Sent: Thursday, March 1, 2018 6:23 PM

Hi Rolando and David,

Peter

Rolando

Peter,

David

http://www.astro-physics ..com/index.htm?products/mounts/absolute-encoders/1600-1100ae

Thank you,
Peter

Mike Shade

In installing encoders on a 1600, did you have to disassemble anything or move the mount?  I have a 1600 and it has a hefty load on it, I think that the OTA would have to come off (a major pain that takes three or four people) and the mount moved.  This has prohibited me from really thinking about this.

Mike

W Hilmo

The read heads could be installed with the mount loaded.  I would not attempt to install the encoder rings without unloading the mount and separating the axes.

If I remember right, to install the declination ring, you need to remove the counterweight shaft, and the lower cover that the counterweight shaft threads into.  To install the RA ring, you need to remove the bottom plate of the RA housing.  If you use the RAPAS, you would potentially need to recollimated it after installing the encoder ring.

If you were to do this with the mount loaded, you would need to position the axes so that you had access to the openings.  For the declination axis, you would be working with the counterweights and shaft removed.  With a significant load, I would not do this.  To get sufficient access to the RA housing, I needed to set the polar alignment axis as if I were at the equator.  So at a minimum, you would need to re-polar align.

The other factor was that I found that the encoder rings would not seat properly until the mount and rings were at the same temperature.  I tried to fit them right after bringing the mount into the house.  At that time, the mount was about 25F cooler than the encoder rings and the fit was too snug.  After letting the mount acclimate to room temperature for a few hours, I was able to install them without trouble.

Sent: Friday, March 2, 2018 6:55 AM
Subject: RE: [ap-gto] A-P1100 Absolute Encoders installed by Astro-Physics?

In installing encoders on a 1600, did you have to disassemble anything or move the mount?  I have a 1600 and it has a hefty load on it, I think that the OTA would have to come off (a major pain that takes three or four people) and the mount moved.  This has prohibited me from really thinking about this.

Mike

Joe Zeglinski

Hi Wade,

While I completely agree with your cautions about  being safer by dismantling the mount before installing encoders, it might also be done without doing so.

Last time I re-greased the mount ... using the Keypad,  I carefully “jogged”  the mount level,  down to (or slightly below) PARK-1, until I could “rest” the OTA on a picnic table for support. Once the OTA was lying comfortably supported on its side on the (heavy folded blanket - cushioned) table top, I felt it was even safe to change or remove the bar and cwts.

This is a procedure I also used once before, to remove the large very heavy RC-14.5 OTA from the saddle, and later replace it - rather than lifting it up, off the mount while standing on a solid pine coffee table, by myself.

There can be ways, to safely install those encoders.
Joe

topboxman

Hi Wade,

If the read heads did not initially have good signal, will you still be able make adjustments until good signal is there or will you have to return the encoders back to A-P for adjustments?

Peter

---In ap-gto@..., <y.groups@...> wrote :

I installed the encoders in my AP1600.  It was quite easy.  The only adjustment I needed was to make sure that the read heads had good signal throughout the entire range of movement of each axis.  It took about 5 minutes per read head, so 10 minutes total.

Hi Rolando and David,

Peter

Rolando

Peter,

David

Thank you,
Peter

Roland Christen

Just place the telescope assembly under the mount with counterweights up in the air. Then remove counterweights and shaft to get access to the back of the Dec axis.

Rolando

To: ap-gto
Sent: Fri, Mar 2, 2018 1:11 pm

Hi Wade,

While I completely agree with your cautions about  being safer by dismantling the mount before installing encoders, it might also be done without doing so.

Last time I re-greased the mount ... using the Keypad,  I carefully “jogged”  the mount level,  down to (or slightly below) PARK-1, until I could “rest” the OTA on a picnic table for support. Once the OTA was lying comfortably supported on its side on the (heavy folded blanket - cushioned) table top, I felt it was even safe to change or remove the bar and cwts.

This is a procedure I also used once before, to remove the large very heavy RC-14.5 OTA from the saddle, and later replace it - rather than lifting it up, off the mount while standing on a solid pine coffee table, by myself.

There can be ways, to safely install those encoders.
Joe

Roland Christen

It's quite easy to adjust the readheads by shifting the bracket slightly back and forth. They will work perfectly, never need to come back here.

Rolando

Sent: Fri, Mar 2, 2018 2:34 pm

Hi Wade,

If the read heads did not initially have good signal, will you still be able make adjustments until good signal is there or will you have to return the encoders back to A-P for adjustments?

Peter

---In ap-gto@..., wrote :

Subject: Re: [ap-gto] A-P1100 Absolu te Encoders installed by Astro-Physics?

Hi Rolando and David,

Peter

Rolando

Peter,

David

Thank you,
Peter

topboxman

Very cool and thanks Rolando.

Peter

It's quite easy to adjust the readheads by shifting the bracket slightly back and forth. They will work perfectly, never need to come back here.

Rolando

To: ap-gto <ap-gto@...>

Hi Wade,

Peter

Hi Rolando and David,

Peter

Rolando

Peter,

David

Thank you,
Peter

W Hilmo

As Rolando said, this was a very easy job to do. It took just a few minutes per axis and did not require sending anything back to AP.

The read heads have an LED that indicates signal strength: Blue is strong signal, green is good signal, orange is weak signal and red is no signal. Prior to adjustment, the LEDs on my mount (both axis) were green most in most positions, orange in a few positions, and red in one or two spots. To do the adjustment per axis, I released the clutch and rotated the axis to a spot of low signal and then adjusted it to the strongest signal by shifting the bracket. After doing this on each axis, my LEDs are now blue almost everywhere, with a couple of spots where they are green.

Sent: Friday, March 2, 2018 12:39 PM

Rolando

To: ap-gto <ap-gto@...>

Hi Wade,

Peter

---In ap-gto@... <mailto:gto@...> , <y.groups@...> wrote :

I installed the encoders in my AP1600. It was quite easy. The only adjustment I needed was to make sure that the read heads had good signal throughout the entire range of movement of each axis. It took about 5 minutes per read head, so 10 minutes total.

From: ap-gto@... <mailto:gto@...> [mailto:ap-gto@... <mailto:ap-gto@...?> ]
To: ap-gto@... <mailto:gto@...>

Hi Rolando and David,

Peter

---In ap-gto@... <mailto:ap-gto@...> , <chris1011@... <mailto:chris1011@...> > wrote :

Rolando

From: David phrosty5@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@... <mailto:ap-gto@...> >
To: 'Konstantin v. Poschinger' k.poschinger@ <mailto:k.poschinger@> ... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@... <mailto:ap-gto@...> >

Peter,

Its super easy to do yourself. They literally just drop in place, secured with several screws, and a few new cables. The cost for shipping back and forth would not be worth it. I was slow and cautious and it took me maybe an hour or so to get the new hardware into the mount, and a few minutes to install the software and setup. It is not complex at all. Do it yourself.

David

On Mar 1, 2018, at 2:08 PM, pnagy@... <mailto:pnagy@...> [ap-gto] <ap-gto@... <mailto:ap-gto@...> > wrote:

Thank you,
Peter

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

topboxman

Hi Rolando,

I live in Reno, NV and temperature can drop to as low as about 10F (-14C) and temperature is normally warmer than 20F (4C). I usually don't image if the forecast gets colder than 20F (4C) or if the dew point falls below ambient temperature. Reno is generally pretty dry so I don't have electric dew shield. Anyway which temperature version AE do you recommend for my area: Standard or Extended? I see the spec at your web site:

RESOLUTE Absolute Encoder:
Operating: 0 degrees C to +80 degrees C (32 F to +176 F)
Storage: -20 degrees C to +80 degrees C (-4 F to +176 F)
RESOLUTE ETR (Extended Temperature Range) Encoder:
Operating: -40 degrees C to +80 degrees C (-40 F to +176 F)<
Storage: -40 degrees C to +80 degrees C (-40 F to +176 F)

Thanks,

Peter

Joe Zeglinski

Thanks Rolando,

I’ll try your simpler approach next time – providing everything clears, rotating to the back leg of the tripod/pier.

Joe

Sent: Friday, March 2, 2018 3:36 PM

Just place the telescope assembly under the mount with counterweights up in the air. Then remove counterweights and shaft to get access to the back of the Dec axis.

Rolando

topboxman

Rolando,

Another question about AE. What is the total weight of AE Kit for A-P1100 mount?

My setup is always portable and I carry the whole RA/Dec assembly (minus counterweight shaft) from inside of my house to backyard (very short trip). I hope AE does not add too much weight to my A-P1100 mount.

Peter

---In ap-gto@..., <pnagy@...> wrote :

Hi Rolando,

I live in Reno, NV and temperature can drop to as low as about 10F (-14C) and temperature is normally warmer than 20F (4C). I usually don't image if the forecast gets colder than 20F (4C) or if the dew point falls below ambient temperature. Reno is generally pretty dry so I don't have electric dew shield. Anyway which temperature version AE do you recommend for my area: Standard or Extended? I see the spec at your web site:

Thanks,

Peter

W Hilmo

The weight of the AE kit is not significant, probably around 1lb. You won’t notice it.

I’m a bit curious, though, if your setup is always portable, what are you trying to achieve with the absolute encoders?

-Wade

Sent: Friday, March 2, 2018 1:16 PM

Rolando,

Another question about AE. What is the total weight of AE Kit for A-P1100 mount?

My setup is always portable and I carry the whole RA/Dec assembly (minus counterweight shaft) from inside of my house to backyard (very short trip). I hope AE does not add too much weight to my A-P1100 mount.

Peter

Hi Rolando,

Thanks,

Peter

Roland Christen

I use a standard here, even though it gets to -20C occasionally. But if you're unsure, then the extended range will work even in Alaska.

Rolando

Sent: Fri, Mar 2, 2018 2:58 pm

Hi Rolando,

Thanks,
Peter

topboxman

Hi Wade,

It's more of laziness of my part. I don't feel like using PEMPro to reduce PE and I like the idea of having extremely low PE and super smooth tracking in AE all the time despite the extra cost. PEC is not required or used with AE.

Most of all, it's because I can!!!!!

Peter

The weight of the AE kit is not significant, probably around 1lb. You won’t notice it.

I’m a bit curious, though, if your setup is always portable, what are you trying to achieve with the absolute encoders?

-Wade

Sent: Friday, March 2, 2018 1:16 PM

Rolando,

Peter

Hi Rolando,

Thanks,

Peter

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]