Last Step after replacing L chip to V chip

dsidote@...

Thanks, Peter and Dale. The cable that Optec supplies with the focuslynx is way longer than I need. I thought about purchasing another one from Optec and shortening it but they charge $55 for the cable. I was hoping you had an ingenious DIY solution.

Sorry for the off-topic post.

Dave

topboxman

Dave,

I believe Optec can customize the cable length you desire. Contact them.

Peter

---In ap-gto@..., <dsidote@...> wrote :

Thanks, Peter and Dale. The cable that Optec supplies with the focuslynx is way longer than I need. I thought about purchasing another one from Optec and shortening it but they charge $55 for the cable. I was hoping you had an ingenious DIY solution.

Sorry for the off-topic post.

Dave

Joel Short

Dave,
RE: making your own USB/serial cable - I tried to do this several time.  I bought what I was sure were the correct USB boards and got the pinouts from Optec to make my own cables.  I tried 3 different USB cables but for some reason I couldn't get any of them to work.  I custom made the ethernet cables to the lengths I needed and I'm comfortable crimping etc, but I just couldn't get these to work.

Bottom line, just buy another one from Optec and have them custom make the length you need.  I wish I had done that in the first place and not spent more than I needed to...live and learn.
joel

topboxman

Before I cut my Optec USB/serial cable, I ordered another one as a backup in case I screwed up with the original USB/serial cable. As soon as I received the second Optec USB/serial cable, I shortened the original USB/serial cable successfully. It's really easy.

Peter

---In ap-gto@..., <buckeyestargazer@...> wrote :

Dave,
RE: making your own USB/serial cable - I tried to do this several time.  I bought what I was sure were the correct USB boards and got the pinouts from Optec to make my own cables.  I tried 3 different USB cables but for some reason I couldn't get any of them to work.  I custom made the ethernet cables to the lengths I needed and I'm comfortable crimping etc, but I just couldn't get these to work.

Bottom line, just buy another one from Optec and have them custom make the length you need.  I wish I had done that in the first place and not spent more than I needed to...live and learn.
joel

D Sidote <dsidote@...>

Peter and Joel,

I hoped there would be a less expensive DIY option, but you guys are right. I am going to buy the length cable I need from Optec.

Thanks again, guys!

Dave