Is Yahoo Groups moderating every messages?


topboxman
 

Lately, it seems to take 2 days for my posts to get through. Is Yahoo Groups moderating every messages sent?

Peter



Joel Short
 

Yahoo has been going downhill for quite some time now.  Sometimes my email replies to yahoo groups takes a day or two to arrive.  Most of the time if I reply online through the group itself it comes through soon, but not always.  I for one would favor moving to a different system for all of the yahoo groups that I'm part of.
joel

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 10:54 AM, pnagy@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:
 

Lately, it seems to take 2 days for my posts to get through. Is Yahoo Groups moderating every messages sent?

Peter



Keith Olsen
 

I agree, Yahoo Groups has become a terrible forum system.  Unfortunately they have been around for such a long time that they have a huge collection of older messages that are valuable and that makes it hard to move to a new system.  But I'm starting to see other groups that I belong to move to new systems.   


Gregory <fyrframe@...>
 

You would have to filter about 100,000 posts a day.

I have the same problem. Yahoo has been misbehaving for some time now. My posts simply never showed up in the forums. Any Yahoo forum. Now they are starting to show up, but it takes up to several days before posting. Some posts are immediate and others seem to take extra time.

One of the oddities is that, yes to some degree I got my email back from Yahoo, but now, I can not post to conversations in a forum that is based out of RIT university and it's email forum and server. Now my post to the university's forums no longer appear. And the list owner doesn't have a clue as to why my email are not showing up in the forum.

That's what I know.

Gregory Gig Harbor, WA.



On 1/31/2018 8:54 AM, pnagy@... [ap-gto] wrote:
 

Lately, it seems to take 2 days for my posts to get through. Is Yahoo Groups moderating every messages sent?

Peter




topboxman
 

TEC telescope maker switched from Yahoo Groups to Google Groups about two years ago. Also they were able to preserve old Yahoo messages and transferred to Google Groups. This is TEC's Google Group link:

https://groups.io/g/tec-scopes/topics

At first the interface was a little clunky but I got used to it. Also, it's easy to upload photos, no more uploading to a server and provide links to photos. You may have to create gmail account but I am not sure.

I don't know who did all the work to transition from Yahoo to Google Groups but I am sure Yuri didn't do it himself. Maybe ask Yuri for more information.

Peter


Ron Kramer
 

I'm in - yahoo groups are horribly archaic.  Attaching a file is a pain in the ass. 

On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 11:35 AM, pnagy@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:
 

TEC telescope maker switched from Yahoo Groups to Google Groups about two years ago. Also they were able to preserve old Yahoo messages and transferred to Google Groups. This is TEC's Google Group link:

https://groups.io/g/tec-scopes/topics

At first the interface was a little clunky but I got used to it. Also, it's easy to upload photos, no more uploading to a server and provide links to photos. You may have to create gmail account but I am not sure.

I don't know who did all the work to transition from Yahoo to Google Groups but I am sure Yuri didn't do it himself. Maybe ask Yuri for more information.

Peter



Zac Kruger <z@...>
 

While the groups.io interface is better, it still relies on email groups which truly are a thing of the past.  It would be best to move on.  The best scenario at this point would be to move to something like Discourse (https://www.discourse.org/).

--Zac

On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 9:35 AM, pnagy@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:
 

TEC telescope maker switched from Yahoo Groups to Google Groups about two years ago. Also they were able to preserve old Yahoo messages and transferred to Google Groups. This is TEC's Google Group link:

https://groups.io/g/tec-scopes/topics

At first the interface was a little clunky but I got used to it. Also, it's easy to upload photos, no more uploading to a server and provide links to photos. You may have to create gmail account but I am not sure.

I don't know who did all the work to transition from Yahoo to Google Groups but I am sure Yuri didn't do it himself. Maybe ask Yuri for more information.

Peter



Joe Zeglinski
 

Peter,
 
    I wonder if Yahoo had a “server shutdown” for some reason, perhaps to service its email server or flush out a virus, something no business would want to advertise. I noticed that there were absolutely NO GROUP emails arriving for about 2 days this past weekend – from ANY of the dozen or so “Yahoo Astro” manufacturer groups I subscribe to. A weekend seems like a good time for a general service shutdown, perhaps it is an annual clean-up.
 
    This was unusual, since the AP and SBIG groups are always so prolific. Dead silence for 2 days was certainly disconcerting, almost like a nuclear winter without a dose of communications. Now the traffic is back to its usual pace, and we now have our astro fix (pun intended).
 
    Contrary to some opinion, I like Yahoo handling “Group emails”. Other major,  unique vendor-installed,  user support forums are either restrictive, or just plain clunky. Hope AP doesn’t go that way. I suspect using something other than Yahoo for Groups will be costly - (aren’t Yahoo Groups free ?) - or involve the manufacturer in continual maintenance  of the group message forum, not to mention the server’s  bug  and virus chasing, wasting vendor’s time and resources.
 
    Perhaps lets not be too quick to  kill the turkey that laid the original golden egg.
Joe


Worsel
 

While I am not a fan of Yahoo Groups, I have had no issues recently.  Unless there are many people seeing a slowdown, it is not necessarily all Yahoo.

Bryan


Joel Short
 

It's not just yahoo groups.  At work I am forced to use Yahoo servers for our business email.  I can't tell you the number of times I have been frustrated with the experience.  
joel

On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 11:31 AM, bryancashion@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:
 

While I am not a fan of Yahoo Groups, I have had no issues recently.  Unless there are many people seeing a slowdown, it is not necessarily all Yahoo.


Bryan



Michael Fulbright <mike.fulbright@...>
 

Our local club recently moved from Yahoo to groups.io and it has been wonderful.  We maintained an email interface (lots of us, me included, find this preferable) while also gaining a much better web interface for those who want to forgo the email angle.

One of our members was able to migrate existing archive of emails from the Yahoo list over groups.io so it is possible.

Michael Fulbright

On 2/1/2018 12:31 PM, bryancashion@... [ap-gto] wrote:
 

While I am not a fan of Yahoo Groups, I have had no issues recently.  Unless there are many people seeing a slowdown, it is not necessarily all Yahoo.


Bryan



Astrobob
 

I find that by clicking on the message header it opens up the Yahoo group directly. Then I can start a new topic or reply by clicking the send button on the lower left of the message box.

Bob 


Woody Schlom <woody@...>
 


I didn't realize Groups.io was part of Google.  Are you sure about that?
 
I remember when Yuri was talking about transitioning.  He said groups.io provided all the tools to migrate the old files for him.
 
Woody
 

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2018 8:35 AM
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Is Yahoo Groups moderating every messages?

 

TEC telescope maker switched from Yahoo Groups to Google Groups about two years ago. Also they were able to preserve old Yahoo messages and transferred to Google Groups. This is TEC's Google Group link:

https://groups.io/g/tec-scopes/topics

At first the interface was a little clunky but I got used to it. Also, it's easy to upload photos, no more uploading to a server and provide links to photos. You may have to create gmail account but I am not sure.

I don't know who did all the work to transition from Yahoo to Google Groups but I am sure Yuri didn't do it himself. Maybe ask Yuri for more information.

Peter


Roland Christen
 

Hi Greg,

Are you an RIT grad?

Rolando
Go Tigers



-----Original Message-----
From: Gregory fyrframe@... [ap-gto]
To: ap-gto
Sent: Thu, Feb 1, 2018 3:44 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Is Yahoo Groups moderating every messages?



You would have to filter about 100,000 posts a day.
I have the same problem. Yahoo has been misbehaving for some time now. My posts simply never showed up in the forums. Any Yahoo forum. Now they are starting to show up, but it takes up to several days before posting. Some posts are immediate and others seem to take extra time.
One of the oddities is that, yes to some degree I got my email back from Yahoo, but now, I can not post to conversations in a forum that is based out of RIT university and it's email forum and server. Now my post to the university's forums no longer appear. And the list owner doesn't have a clue as to why my email are not showing up in the forum.
That's what I know.
Gregory Gig Harbor, WA.


On 1/31/2018 8:54 AM, pnagy@... [ap-gto] wrote:
 
Lately, it seems to take 2 days for my posts to get through. Is Yahoo Groups moderating every messages sent?

Peter





Gregory <fyrframe@...>
 

No. It has a very sophisticated photography dept. I was a photojournalist in a previous life. They have a forum for Photographers who are educators. I have been a member of the forum for something like 15 years. We are always posting our images in a gallery.  We are also building our second book of images.

You can see one of my images here; https://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html

Gregory Gig Harbor, WA.


On 2/1/2018 1:50 PM, chris1011@... [ap-gto] wrote:
 

Hi Greg,

Are you an RIT grad?

Rolando
Go Tigers




-----Original Message-----
From: Gregory fyrframe@... [ap-gto]
To: ap-gto
Sent: Thu, Feb 1, 2018 3:44 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Is Yahoo Groups moderating every messages?



You would have to filter about 100,000 posts a day.
I have the same problem. Yahoo has been misbehaving for some time now. My posts simply never showed up in the forums. Any Yahoo forum. Now they are starting to show up, but it takes up to several days before posting. Some posts are immediate and others seem to take extra time.
One of the oddities is that, yes to some degree I got my email back from Yahoo, but now, I can not post to conversations in a forum that is based out of RIT university and it's email forum and server. Now my post to the university's forums no longer appear. And the list owner doesn't have a clue as to why my email are not showing up in the forum.
That's what I know.
Gregory Gig Harbor, WA.


On 1/31/2018 8:54 AM, pnagy@... [ap-gto] wrote:
 
Lately, it seems to take 2 days for my posts to get through. Is Yahoo Groups moderating every messages sent?

Peter






Roland Christen
 

I went there last century, and yes, they have a very famous photography school. Some of my friends were photography majors.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
From: Gregory fyrframe@... [ap-gto]
To: ap-gto
Sent: Thu, Feb 1, 2018 4:12 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Is Yahoo Groups moderating every messages?



No. It has a very sophisticated photography dept. I was a photojournalist in a previous life. They have a forum for Photographers who are educators. I have been a member of the forum for something like 15 years. We are always posting our images in a gallery.  We are also building our second book of images.
You can see one of my images here; https://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html
Gregory Gig Harbor, WA.

On 2/1/2018 1:50 PM, chris1011@... [ap-gto] wrote:
 
Hi Greg,

Are you an RIT grad?

Rolando
Go Tigers



-----Original Message-----
From: Gregory fyrframe@... [ap-gto]
To: ap-gto
Sent: Thu, Feb 1, 2018 3:44 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Is Yahoo Groups moderating every messages?



You would have to filter about 100,000 posts a day.
I have the same problem. Yahoo has been misbehaving for some time now. My posts simply never showed up in the forums. Any Yahoo forum. Now they are starting to show up, but it takes up to several days before posting. Some posts are immediate and others seem to take extra time.
One of the oddities is that, yes to some degree I got my email back from Yahoo, but now, I can not post to conversations in a forum that is based out of RIT university and it's email forum and server. Now my post to the university's forums no longer appear. And the list owner doesn't have a clue as to why my email are not showing up in the forum.
That's what I know.
Gregory Gig Harbor, WA.


On 1/31/2018 8:54 AM, pnagy@... [ap-gto] wrote:
 
Lately, it seems to take 2 days for my posts to get through. Is Yahoo Groups moderating every messages sent?

Peter








Gregory <fyrframe@...>
 

Yeah, at least a century._grin

Gregory Gig Harbor, WA.


On 2/1/2018 2:25 PM, chris1011@... [ap-gto] wrote:
 

I went there last century, and yes, they have a very famous photography school. Some of my friends were photography majors.

Rolando


-----Original Message-----
From: Gregory fyrframe@... [ap-gto]
To: ap-gto
Sent: Thu, Feb 1, 2018 4:12 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Is Yahoo Groups moderating every messages?



No. It has a very sophisticated photography dept. I was a photojournalist in a previous life. They have a forum for Photographers who are educators. I have been a member of the forum for something like 15 years. We are always posting our images in a gallery.  We are also building our second book of images.
You can see one of my images here; https://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html
Gregory Gig Harbor, WA.

On 2/1/2018 1:50 PM, chris1011@... [ap-gto] wrote:
 
Hi Greg,

Are you an RIT grad?

Rolando
Go Tigers



-----Original Message-----
From: Gregory fyrframe@... [ap-gto]
To: ap-gto
Sent: Thu, Feb 1, 2018 3:44 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Is Yahoo Groups moderating every messages?



You would have to filter about 100,000 posts a day.
I have the same problem. Yahoo has been misbehaving for some time now. My posts simply never showed up in the forums. Any Yahoo forum. Now they are starting to show up, but it takes up to several days before posting. Some posts are immediate and others seem to take extra time.
One of the oddities is that, yes to some degree I got my email back from Yahoo, but now, I can not post to conversations in a forum that is based out of RIT university and it's email forum and server. Now my post to the university's forums no longer appear. And the list owner doesn't have a clue as to why my email are not showing up in the forum.
That's what I know.
Gregory Gig Harbor, WA.


On 1/31/2018 8:54 AM, pnagy@... [ap-gto] wrote:
 
Lately, it seems to take 2 days for my posts to get through. Is Yahoo Groups moderating every messages sent?

Peter









Joe Zeglinski
 

Greg,
 
    Is the problem just Yahoo Groups, or Yahoo email system in general?
Have you tried including your own email address when you email out to Yahoo groups, to compare how long a direct email comes right back, versus popping up in the Group’s new email arrival box? If there is a dual problem with posting to Yahoo Groups, and another forum based at  RIT University, then it may not be the fault of either destination server, but your ISP server between them and your PC.
 
    I wonder if there is some over active spam checker in play at your ISP. They can trigger on the most “innocuous” words. Perhaps the ISP webmaster has tweaked its SPAM-checking criteria tighter, recently.
 
    Except for that recent  2-day Yahoo hiatus period, my emails to Yahoo groups have, as usual,  arrived back to my own INBOX, from any of my  groups,  in a matter of minutes, if not seconds – and this is  all the way from Canada.
 
    However, I would have appreciated an explanation, if not an apology from Yahoo, for the recent service down time.
I can say that generally, Yahoo Group emails have had excellent turn around times for my posts. I use the email delivery system for message posts, rather than using a browser and group login. Perhaps THAT method makes a difference.
 
    Since I have been getting several repeats of Rolando’s recent post from last weekend  -  about (Fwd: AP Mount Encoder Tests - what do AP encoders really do?) ...  I assume the current Yahoo Groups service crisis is over, and we can resume normal postings.
 
    Anyway, I’m glad to see that Yahoo is now back to business as usual ...  although ... I have been expecting Google to buy them out for some time now.
Joe


Mike Shade
 

I used to be able to post directly to the group, and all of my groups on Yahoo.  I cannot do this anymore but have to go to the Yahoo website and post from there.  Some of my posts will show up several days later, some will get bounced back with an undelivered message.  In looking at the useless Yahoo help forum, a number of people are all of a sudden having e-mail problems with their Yahoo accounts, similar to what I and seemingly others are experiencing.  I am having not other e-mail problems.

Mike 


Joe Zeglinski
 

Mike,
 
    It is 11:38 AM here,  and I am replying to your post using Microsoft Live Mail “directly” as you said.
– Lets see how quickly this post pops up on this group’s list strictly using emails than a browser to the Yahoo Group site.
 
    I don’t think it is a Yahoo problem, since I am handling group posts the same ... as you were, before your recent problems.
Perhaps it is something going on at the “Q.com” web handler.
 
Joe
 

From: mshade@q.com [ap-gto]
Sent: Friday, February 2, 2018 8:38 AM
To: ap-gto@...
Subject: [ap-gto] Re: Is Yahoo Groups moderating every messages?
 


I used to be able to post directly to the group, and all of my groups on Yahoo.  I cannot do this anymore but have to go to the Yahoo website and post from there.  Some of my posts will show up several days later, some will get bounced back with an undelivered message.  In looking at the useless Yahoo help forum, a number of people are all of a sudden having e-mail problems with their Yahoo accounts, similar to what I and seemingly others are experiencing.  I am having not other e-mail problems.
 
Mike