Topics

Last Step after replacing L chip to V chip

wildwood7711@...

 Need to update my Keypad from 4.12 to 4.19, I have a straight thru serial cable but my computer has no serial ports. I have read that I need a FTD1 chip USB to serial cable. The CP3 GTO control panel has female RS232. I can't find a USB cable of this sort that will have a male RS232. I have tried looking online and Astro-Physics website, all I find are adapters that have to have a  female end. Anyone have a link to where I can find one. Thanks, Mike

topboxman

There are hundreds of USB to Serial adapters that contains FTDI chips to work with serial ports of CPX boxes. Here is I currently use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0075SGLRQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here are other samples:

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Serial-Adapter-Chipset-CB-FTDI/dp/B006AA04K0/ref=sr_1_14?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1517066936&sr=1-14&keywords=ftdi+usb+to+serial

https://www.amazon.com/Serial-Adapter-Chipset-Supports-Windows/dp/B017D51ZRQ/ref=sr_1_22?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1517066936&sr=1-22&keywords=ftdi+usb+to+serial

Do a search at Amazon.com and use the keywords "ftdi usb to serial"

Peter

---In ap-gto@..., <wildwood7711@...> wrote :

 Need to update my Keypad from 4.12 to 4.19, I have a straight thru serial cable but my computer has no serial ports. I have read that I need a FTD1 chip USB to serial cable. The CP3 GTO control panel has female RS232. I can't find a USB cable of this sort that will have a male RS232. I have tried looking online and Astro-Physics website, all I find are adapters that have to have a  female end. Anyone have a link to where I can find one. Thanks, Mike

George

I strong recommend our FTDI adapter that comes right from FTDI:

http://www.astro-physics.com/products/accessories/software/Serial_USB/serialusb.htm#usb1pftdi

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Phone:  815-282-1513

 Need to update my Keypad from 4.12 to 4.19, I have a straight thru serial cable but my computer has no serial ports. I have read that I need a FTD1 chip USB to serial cable. The CP3 GTO control panel has female RS232. I can't find a USB cable of this sort that will have a male RS232. I have tried looking online and Astro-Physics website, all I find are adapters that have to have a  female end. Anyone have a link to where I can find one. Thanks, Mike

Suresh Mohan

Mike get a good usbto serial unit like from keyspan if not buy the one that AP sells
Suresh

On 27-Jan-2018, at 6:58 PM, wildwood7711@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

 Need to update my Keypad from 4.12 to 4.19, I have a straight thru serial cable but my computer has no serial ports. I have read that I need a FTD1 chip USB to serial cable. The CP3 GTO control panel has female RS232. I can't find a USB cable of this sort that will have a male RS232. I have tried looking online and Astro-Physics website, all I find are adapters that have to have a  female end. Anyone have a link to where I can find one. Thanks, Mike

topboxman

I think Mike wants to connect the USB-to-Serial adapter directly to the serial port of CPX box. The problem with Astro-Physics USB-to-Serial adapter is it will not be able to connect directly to the serial port of CPX box because both connectors in adapter and serial port of CPX use same gender (female hex screws). What Mike is looking for is male thumbscrews on USB-to-Serial adapter to not only connect but lock to serial port of CPX box. Here are the samples USB-to-Serial adapters that will connect to serial port of CPX box:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0075SGLRQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Serial-Adapter-Chipset-CB-FTDI/dp/B006AA04K0/ref=sr_1_14?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1517066936&sr=1-14&keywords=ftdi+usb+to+serial

https://www.amazon.com/Serial-Adapter-Chipset-Supports-Windows/dp/B017D51ZRQ/ref=sr_1_22?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1517066936&sr=1-22&keywords=ftdi+usb+to+serial

All of the above samples use FTDI chip sets.

Peter