GOTO issue with Mach1GTO

Bruce Donzanti

Tired my new Mach1GTO for the first time last night.  Mount was leveled E/W and balanced per instructions.  I used the RASPA right out of the box to do PA following initial rough polar alignment.  I then did a SYNC to a bright star in the east and I thought I had the scope aligned on the west side as they say instruct in the KeyPad manual.  When I started to slew, I was able to see objects on my computer screen using a CCD camera in the east and southeast but nothing in the FoV west and north.  I also did drifting testing and the star low in the east did start to drift after 5 minutes.  So, I am thinking I have 2 problems: 1) I did not SYNC correctly for the GOTOS and/or 2) the RASPA needs to be aligned following drift alignment due to the slight drifting occurring.    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Woody Schlom <woody@...>

1)      My RAPAS came with specific initial alignment instructions.  I think you need to read the stuff that came with the RAPAS and do the initial alignment.  Once you do that, the RAPAS will be aligned for not just your mount, but other AP mounts as well.  You can move it back and forth between AP mounts and it’ll still be aligned.

2)      I believe “SYNC” is the wrong command for what you’re trying to do with an AP mount.  I think RECAL is what you want.  Nomenclature and terms are often different for AP mounts.  I can’t tell you how many times I’ve made this same mistake because SYNC is the correct term for other brands of mounts and software.

3)      You really do need to read the excellent manuals that came with your new Mach1.

Woody

Sent: Sunday, December 10, 2017 9:52 AM
To: ap-gto@...
Subject: [ap-gto] GOTO issue with Mach1GTO

Tired my new Mach1GTO for the first time last night.  Mount was leveled E/W and balanced per instructions.  I used the RASPA right out of the box to do PA following initial rough polar alignment.  I then did a SYNC to a bright star in the east and I thought I had the scope aligned on the west side as they say instruct in the KeyPad manual.  When I started to slew, I was able to see objects on my computer screen using a CCD camera in the east and southeast but nothing in the FoV west and north.  I also did drifting testing and the star low in the east did start to drift after 5 minutes.  So, I am thinking I have 2 problems: 1) I did not SYNC correctly for the GOTOS and/or 2) the RASPA needs to be aligned following drift alignment due to the slight drifting occurring.    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bruce Donzanti

I did- as I stated in my post.

On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 1:04 PM, 'Woody Schlom' woody@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

1)      My RAPAS came with specific initial alignment instructions.  I think you need to read the stuff that came with the RAPAS and do the initial alignment.  Once you do that, the RAPAS will be aligned for not just your mount, but other AP mounts as well.  You can move it back and forth between AP mounts and it’ll still be aligned.

2)      I believe “SYNC” is the wrong command for what you’re trying to do with an AP mount.  I think RECAL is what you want.  Nomenclature and terms are often different for AP mounts.  I can’t tell you how many times I’ve made this same mistake because SYNC is the correct term for other brands of mounts and software.

3)      You really do need to read the excellent manuals that came with your new Mach1.

Woody

Tired my new Mach1GTO for the first time last night.  Mount was leveled E/W and balanced per instructions.  I used the RASPA right out of the box to do PA following initial rough polar alignment.  I then did a SYNC to a bright star in the east and I thought I had the scope aligned on the west side as they say instruct in the KeyPad manual.  When I started to slew, I was able to see objects on my computer screen using a CCD camera in the east and southeast but nothing in the FoV west and north.  I also did drifting testing and the star low in the east did start to drift after 5 minutes.  So, I am thinking I have 2 problems: 1) I did not SYNC correctly for the GOTOS and/or 2) the RASPA needs to be aligned following drift alignment due to the slight drifting occurring.    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dean S

The RAPAS needs to initially be adjusted after you do a good drift alignment the first time.  Then you recal on a star.  

On Dec 10, 2017, at 4:17 PM, Bruce Donzanti donza2735@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 1:04 PM, 'Woody Schlom' woody@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Woody

Tired my new Mach1GTO for the first time last night.  Mount was leveled E/W and balanced per instructions.  I used the RASPA right out of the box to do PA following initial rough polar alignment.  I then did a SYNC to a bright star in the east and I thought I had the scope aligned on the west side as they say instruct in the KeyPad manual.  When I started to slew, I was able to see objects on my computer screen using a CCD camera in the east and southeast but nothing in the FoV west and north.  I also did drifting testing and the star low in the east did start to drift after 5 minutes.  So, I am thinking I have 2 problems: 1) I did not SYNC correctly for the GOTOS and/or 2) the RASPA needs to be aligned following drift alignment due to the slight drifting occurring.    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bruce Donzanti

OK- thank you very much

On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 1:51 PM, Dean Schwartzenberg dean@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

The RAPAS needs to initially be adjusted after you do a good drift alignment the first time.  Then you recal on a star.  

On Dec 10, 2017, at 4:17 PM, Bruce Donzanti donza2735@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Woody

Marcelo Figueroa

Is it possible that you performed polar alignment on the wrong star?

I live in the southern hemisphere and Sigma Octantis is difficult to identify, especially in an area of high light pollution. When I first received my Mach1 it took a little while to make the polar alignment and I was using the wrong star, so my GOTOs were quite wrong and the tracking horrible.

But once I identified Sigma Octantis correctly and performed the polar alignment (and later Sync), it was like magic, the GOTOs were accurate and the tracking perfect.

And if you use SGP and Plate Solving is more "magic", incredibly accurate. SGP and Mach1 seem to be made for each other.

(By the way, I wasn't using RAPAS, I already had a PoleMaster and I used this one).

Bruce Donzanti

No, Have Polaris in my sights.

Frankly, I am really lost now.  I am balanced and leveled and coordinates and date and time are all entered as location 1.  I did a rough polar align followed by the RAPAS.  Assuming the RAPAS is accurate, what do you do next?  The keypad gives you the choices: 1)Star Sync 2) Polar Alignment 3) Resume last position 4)new setup.  I thought was Star Sync based on the manual.  

On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 4:31 PM, marfig1970@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

I live in the southern hemisphere and Sigma Octantis is difficult to identify, especially in an area of high light pollution. When I first received my Mach1 it took a little while to make the polar alignment and I was using the wrong star, so my GOTOs were quite wrong and the tracking horrible.

But once I identified Sigma Octantis correctly and performed the polar alignment (and later Sync), it was like magic, the GOTOs were accurate and the tracking perfect.

And if you use SGP and Plate Solving is more "magic", incredibly accurate. SGP and Mach1 seem to be made for each other.

(By the way, I wasn't using RAPAS, I already had a PoleMaster and I used this one).

Christopher Erickson

I assume you are upgrading from another mount?

I wrote the following post on Cloudy Nights to help people a bit who are migrating from Celestron (or Meade) mounts to Astro-Physics.  It covers some of the important differences that might trip up people who are familiar with the other GOTO systems.  Not sure if it will help you or not.  I hope it does.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

Sent: Sunday, December 10, 2017 7:52 AM

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Christopher Erickson

Better to set the hand controller startup Auto-Connect mode to YES instead of NO or EXT.  Then simply do a GOTO to a known star and then a 9=Re-Calibrate, which will be a function you will see when you press the [RA/DEC/REV] button.  In fact if the mount has not been disturbed since it was last used then the 9=Re-Calibrate probably won't be needed.

AP mounts don't need star alignment every time they are turned on.  They remember where they last were when power was cut.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

Sent: Sunday, December 10, 2017 7:01 PM
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Re: GOTO issue with Mach1GTO

Frankly, I am really lost now.  I am balanced and leveled and coordinates and date and time are all entered as location 1.  I did a rough polar align followed by the RAPAS.  Assuming the RAPAS is accurate, what do you do next?  The keypad gives you the choices: 1)Star Sync 2) Polar Alignment 3) Resume last position 4)new setup.  I thought was Star Sync based on the manual.  

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Bruce Donzanti

Christopher

That is correct.  Thank you very much! This is excellent.

Bruce

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 2:33 AM, 'Christopher Erickson' christopher.k.erickson@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

I wrote the following post on Cloudy Nights to help people a bit who are migrating from Celestron (or Meade) mounts to Astro-Physics.  It covers some of the important differences that might trip up people who are familiar with the other GOTO systems.  Not sure if it will help you or not.  I hope it does.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Bruce Donzanti

Thank you again Christopher.

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 3:07 AM, 'Christopher Erickson' christopher.k.erickson@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Better to set the hand controller startup Auto-Connect mode to YES instead of NO or EXT.  Then simply do a GOTO to a known star and then a 9=Re-Calibrate, which will be a function you will see when you press the [RA/DEC/REV] button.  In fact if the mount has not been disturbed since it was last used then the 9=Re-Calibrate probably won't be needed.

AP mounts don't need star alignment every time they are turned on.  They remember where they last were when power was cut.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

Sent: Sunday, December 10, 2017 7:01 PM

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Suresh Mohan

Hello how did you go to the first star ? I hope you did not slew to it ; did you manually grasp the scope , centred in your eyepiece , locked the clutches and then sync ?
Suresh 

On 11-Dec-2017, at 4:03 PM, 'Christopher Erickson' christopher.k.erickson@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Suresh Mohan

Hello how did you go to the first star ? I hope you did not slew to it ; did you manually grasp the scope , centred in your eyepiece , locked the clutches and then sync ?
Suresh 

On 11-Dec-2017, at 10:18 PM, Suresh Mohan Neelmegh <drsureshmohan@...> wrote:

Suresh 

On 11-Dec-2017, at 4:03 PM, 'Christopher Erickson' christopher.k.erickson@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Roland Christen

Assuming the RAPAS is accurate, what do you do next?
If you are starting out for the first time then pick "New Setup". Manually place your scope in the Park3 position (does not have to be perfect), and press "Start From Park Position 3". This initializes the mount and tells it that your scope is pointed to the North Pole (also known as Park3).

Now go to the Objects Menu, pick a star from the star's list and press GoTo. The mount will slew to that star, but it will probably not be in the center of your scope at this point. You may see it in your finder scope. Now you simply bring the star to the center of your eyepiece via the 4 buttons and press the bottom right hand button to bring up the Recal menu. then press 9 = Recal. Your mount is now pointing accurately in the sky and you can now go to any object that you wish.

If you are permanently mounted, you will not have to do any of this again. Just simply put your keypad in Autostart = YES and every time that you turn on the power the mount will always know exactly where it is pointed. Your keypad will start up automatically and you can simply go to any object in the sky without going thru any startup procedure.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: ap-gto
Sent: Sun, Dec 10, 2017 11:01 pm

Ron Kramer

Makes me so glad I plate solve.  = )

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 12:44 PM, chris1011@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

If you are starting out for the first time then pick "New Setup". Manually place your scope in the Park3 position (does not have to be perfect), and press "Start From Park Position 3". This initializes the mount and tells it that your scope is pointed to the North Pole (also known as Park3).

Now go to the Objects Menu, pick a star from the star's list and press GoTo. The mount will slew to that star, but it will probably not be in the center of your scope at this point. You may see it in your finder scope. Now you simply bring the star to the center of your eyepiece via the 4 buttons and press the bottom right hand button to bring up the Recal menu. then press 9 = Recal. Your mount is now pointing accurately in the sky and you can now go to any object that you wish.

If you are permanently mounted, you will not have to do any of this again. Just simply put your keypad in Autostart = YES and every time that you turn on the power the mount will always know exactly where it is pointed. Your keypad will start up automatically and you can simply go to any object in the sky without going thru any startup procedure.

Rolando

To: ap-gto <ap-gto@...>

Bruce Donzanti

Thank you Rolando. This is very clear.  As Christopher pointed out, I am use to Celestron terminology and procedures which is why I am getting confused despite reading the manual.

Thank you again,
Bruce

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 9:44 AM, chris1011@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Rolando

Bruce Donzanti

I use to do this with StarSense on my C11 on the Alt-AZ mount.  Much, much easier.  How do you plate solve now?

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 9:56 AM, Ron Kramer ronkramer1957@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Makes me so glad I plate solve.  = )

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 12:44 PM, chris1011@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Rolando