More Troubles Tonight with APPM

Kerry Williams

Hi Ray,

I did more investigating tonight and had the same problems as before with APPM.

I started out the session with TheSky, MaxIM, and FocusMax connected through the APV2 driver. I did some manual slews without any issues. I then started up APPM and after six slews, at 12/8/2017 7:56:30 PM I got errors and the mount stopped slewing (see log). After about five minutes, APPM commanded another slew and another error was generated. After that the mount parked itself at the last slew point again somehow.

See the images at:

The ambient temperature was about 30-degrees F during this time. I checked the PC temperatures and the lowest temp internally was one of the SSDs at 50-degrees F - see the image at:

 Here is a link to the log file:

I then disconnected TheSky, MaxIm and Fmax from the driver and unparked the mount using APCC and reparked it to position 4, then unparked it again using APCC. I started APPM up again and connected the driver and camera. Now APPM was the only thing connected to the driver. I started the mapping run again and after about 12 slews the same behavior occurred and the mount parked itself once again. I stopped APPM and disconnected the mount and camera and APPC auto exited.

I then restarted APCC and connected TheSky to the driver. I did about 20 slews using TheSky to simulate the slews that APPM was doing automatically. I also used the virtual keypad on the APV2 driver and even connected up PHD2 and guided on a star for about 20 minutes. During this time there were no COM errors or any other issues.

 I did a APPM run back in May of this year plotting about 90 points and didn't have any of these issues.

Thanks,
Kerry

Ray Gralak

Kerry,

As I said earlier, I don't think this is an APCC/APPM issue. I can't explain the mount parking but so far it doesn't appear that APCC issued a park operation. If you can't find a hardware issue with your setup then it might be worthwhile to give Howard a call. Maybe he has seen an issue similar to this in another setup.

-Ray Gralak

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ta0y5gpccwc3mgo/commerrs.jpg?dl=0

&nbs p; https://www.dropbox.com/s/c5u238p81axjdtf/APPM.jpg?dl=0

The ambient temperature was about 30-degrees F during this time. I checked the PC temperatures and the
lowest temp internally was one of the SSDs at 50-degrees F - see the image at:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p168nl21m5lv017/PCTemps.jpg?dl=0

Here is a link to the log file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ayvn2mtfk04hsr8/ApccZip-Kerry_Williams-2017-12-08-200753.zip?dl=0

[...]

Ron Kramer

Sorry if this is totally stupid, I've not used APPM yet and new to APCC - but I notice similar results when I have horizon and other limits on?  I suspect APPM would override these? but I don't know.
If my scope slews into an area I have limits turned on for - it will park or stop tracking (depending on what I have set).  Likely to obvious... but thought I'd throw a reminder out there.
Just sounds like a APCC configuration issue since the port works fine with Skyx

On Sat, Dec 9, 2017 at 12:11 AM, 'Ray Gralak (Groups)' groups3@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Kerry,

As I said earlier, I don't think this is an APCC/APPM issue. I can't explain the mount parking but so far it doesn't appear that APCC issued a park operation. If you can't find a hardware issue with your setup then it might be worthwhile to give Howard a call. Maybe he has seen an issue similar to this in another setup.

-Ray Gralak

Eric Claeys

Kerry,
Do you have a CP4, and if so, what firmware? When I upgraded mine to the newest version 10 on my 1100 and Mach 1 the mounts would often stop and park themselves (without a park command being sent) and the light on the CP4 would turn yellow and I could only slew one way (east or west).
I would also get the MS# Com errors on both USB and ethernet. This was due to a bug in the firmware that only a couple of us saw. Once I was given updated firmware all those problems went away.
What made it difficult to debug was that APCC would not give any indication there was a problem or that the light turned yellow. Howard and I had to enter debug commands in the terminal window and look at the responses to determine the state.

Eric

Kerry Williams

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the info. On my 1200 I have the CP4 with VCP4-P01-10 installed. I run the setup remotely, so I couldn't see the LED to see if it turned yellow. Likewise, a look at APCC logs showed no indication of the mysterious parking.

I sent Howard a private email asking for his assistance with this.

--- Kerry

Stephane Charbonnel

Hello,

A few days ago, I have updated the firmware of my CP4 from 01 to 10.
Temperature was about 30-degrees F. So, I observed exactly the same problems as Kerry described. I have effectively noticed the yellow color of the LED of CP4. The problem was observed during an APPM session and when mount slew with counterweight from up to down. I have tried it a lot of time and after resignation, I stopped (thanks Kerry !).
Two days after, even with heigher temperature (50F), same problem.So I do a simply thing : I turned off "horizon" and "meridian" and asked APPM not to use meridian or horizon; OK, I know some plate could not be recognize but APPM processus has gone completely ...
This is only my two cents and this is not with my history you could debug firmware but I can just confirm that Kerry wrote and think it really exists a bug in the firmware. Unfortunately, my (spoken) english is too bad in order to help Howard ...

Cordialement
Stephane

[...]

Roland Christen

Do you have a CP4, and if so, what firmware? When I upgraded mine to the newest version 10 on my 1100 and Mach 1 the mounts would often stop and park themselves (without a park command being sent) and the light on the CP4 would turn yellow and I could only slew one way (east or west).
Basically what happened in your mount was that you had gone around multiple times and had reached an internal limit. The CP4 then stopped going any further and turned on the yellow light to indicate that a limit had been reached. You could slew the other direction out of the limit, but could not slew any more in the same direction. This limit is set so that your internal cord does not wrap around too many times.

Do you have a CP4, and if so, what firmware? When I upgraded mine to the newest version 10 on my 1100 and Mach 1 the mounts would often stop and park themselves (without a park command being sent) and the light on the CP4 would turn yellow and I could only slew one way (east or west).
I would also get the MS# Com errors on both USB and ethernet. This was due to a bug in the firmware that only a couple of us saw. Once I was given updated firmware all those problems went away.
What made it difficult to debug was that APCC would not give any indication there was a problem or that the light turned yellow. Howard and I had to enter debug commands in the terminal window and look at the responses to determine the state.

Eric

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
ap-gto-digest@...
ap-gto-fullfeatured@...

Joe Zeglinski

Rolando,

    That’s interesting ... didn’t know that.

    Maybe an “AP written UNWRAP” utility would be useful, for those with mounts that have internal cabling. Does the CPx know “how many times” it had wrapped? Perhaps there is a published spec, for a mount model’s standard number of turns?
If the user just unwraps manually, perhaps less than one turn, the condition would soon repeat, unless he had some way of knowing how many turns would bring the mount cabling twist back to the normal, at the midpoint of its allowed wrap range.

Joe

Do you have a CP4, and if so, what firmware? When I upgraded mine to the newest version 10 on my 1100 and Mach 1 the mounts would often stop and park themselves (without a park command being sent) and the light on the CP4 would turn yellow and I could only slew one way (east or west).
Basically what happened in your mount was that you had gone around multiple times and had reached an internal limit. The CP4 then stopped going any further and turned on the yellow light to indicate that a limit had been reached. You could slew the other direction out of the limit, but could not slew any more in the same direction. This limit is set so that your internal cord does not wrap around too many times.

Basically the users did not follow instructions to the letter.