APCC Weather Station Support

Danny Flippo

The documentation for APCC states that support for getting barometric pressure from a weather station is planned.  Is there a list of stations that will be supported, and an estimated time frame for this support?

Thanks,

Dan

Barbara Harris

I would like the answer to this also since I am shopping for a weather station.

Barbara

Howard Hedlund

I think Ray is pretty busy finishing up PEMPro 3 at the moment, so I'll chime in on this.
  • I have a couple other APCC priorities that need to be placed ahead of further expanded weather support.
  • I believe his first planned expansion beyond the current THUM support will be to the ASCOM standard weather interface.  As I understand it, that would include the Boltwood and WeatherWatcher for ACP/CCDAP systems, but I'm not sure how all of that will fit together.  I'm also not sure at the moment where he stands in terms of completion for the ASCOM interface.
  • We have talked about the Davis Weather Stations, but I don't know anything beyond the initial discussion.
  • Input from the Weather Underground and from Citizen Weather Observer Program have also both been brought up, but I'm not sure how these could be employed to best advantage.
  • What do you all want?  If we get a list of desired weather station options put together, we can then do a gto group poll and see which ideas are most popular.

Danny Flippo

Howard,

The ability to query information such as barometric pressure from a nearby Weather Underground station would probably meet the needs of many users.  This information is available via web service and is free for up to 500 queries per day / 10 per hour.

Thanks,
Dan

Christopher Erickson

And setting up a Weather Underground compatible weather station using just about any weather station and the free program Cumulus isn't too hard.

I am currently using a Davis Instruments weather station but before that I was using a $150 special from China via eBay.

If the weather station supports RS-232 or USB connectivity to a Windows PC and is supported by Cumulus, it will probably work just fine.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

The ability to query information such as barometric pressure from a nearby Weather Underground station would probably meet the needs of many users.  This information is available via web service and is free for up to 500 queries per day / 10 per hour.

Thanks,
Dan

Stephane Charbonnel

Hello,

Or using a stickstation USB near optical tube and mount such as http://www.blueastro.se/indexd61c.html?id=5
It could be using with ASCOM IObservingConditions properties and methods.

Regards
Stephane