APCC + SkySafari?

Hemant Hariyani

Hello all,

I use Sky Safari to control my GTO mount. I have tried two ways of connecting Sky Safari to GTO:

1. Using GTO's IP address (port 23) and setting mount type to Astro-Physics GTO

2. Using The Skyx (My PC's IP address and The Skyx server port) and setting the mount to Paramount+TheSkyx

When I connect directly to GTO, the connection works most of the time but disconnects occasionally and the only solution then is to power cycle the mount. Not sure if anyone else has faced this issue. Also, using this method, we probably cannot use the APCC pointing/tracking model.

When I connect using The Skyx, the slew rate is good in one axis but not in the other. Moreover, the connection does lock up at times and I have to restart The SkyX. May be this is because the only connection option available with The SkyX is Paramount. I am guessing this can be made a generic interface but I guess that is a topic of discussion in a different forum.

What would be really nice to have is APCC providing a TCP server that Sky Safari can talk to. Is there a way to do this today? If not, is this something that can be considered? Not sure if one of the virtual com ports can be used somehow.

Regards
Hemant

Woody Schlom <woody@...>

Hemant,

I've successfully used SkySafari to control my Mach1 for years.  My Mach1 has the original CP3 controller.

I use either a RN-270 (Roving Networks) or SkyBT (exactly the same device but with different label) Bluetooth to Serial adapter and either an Android tablet or Android phone running SkySafari Pro.  The RN-270 (or SkyBT) device plugs into one of the CP3's serial ports (either one has worked for me).

I set SkySafari's settings to "Equatorial GOTO (German)" for the Mount Type, and "Scope Type" to "Astro-Physics GTO."

I've used this configuration for several years.  I now also have a SkyFi-3, which works with both Bluetooth or WiFi with Android.  So I could use that instead of one of the old Bluetooth to serial adapters.

Woody

[...]

Hello Woody,

Thanks a lot for you response. It is great to know that SkySafari is working well for you.

I am using GTOCP4 and its inbuilt wifi and having some stability issues. For most part it works fine though. I have not tried bluetooth or skyfi. May be I should give those a shot.

My bigger concern is being able to use APCC model though. I presume that if I connect SkySafari directly to the mount, it will not use APCC tracking/pointing model and my tracking and goto will not be as accurate as APCC controlling the mount and acting as the main interface. Am I missing something here?

Regards
Hemant

On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 12:50 PM, 'Woody Schlom' woody@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

[...]

I don't have or use APCC, so I can't comment on that.

Woody

[...]

Christopher Erickson

As has been discussed in great detail recently, WiFi on the CP4 isn't currently a  fully-reliable connectivity option.  Of course WiFi is NEVER going to be a fully-reliable connectivity option for anything.  That's just the nature of WiFi anyway.

If you want 99.999% reliable communications with your mount, use RS-232 or Ethernet connectivity.  Don't use WiFi or USB.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

[...]

Hello Christopher,

Thanks a lot for your response.

>As has been discussed in great detail recently, WiFi on the CP4 isn't currently a  fully-reliable connectivity option.  Of course WiFi is NEVER going to be a fully-reliable connectivity option for anything.  That's just the nature of WiFi anyway.

>If you want 99.999% reliable communications with your mount, use RS-232 or Ethernet connectivity.  Don't use WiFi or USB.

I completely agree and understand the limitation of wifi connection. I use RS-232 between my PC and my mount. I believe the problem with wireless connection in this case is that I am not able to re-connect to the mount. The mount wifi is up (I can open it in my browser) and so is my phone's. Restarting phone does not help, restarting mount does. This tells me that GTO CP4 is somehow left in a state that does not allow this connection anymore. Serial connection to the mount continues to work fine when this happens. If there is a way to collect logs, I will be more than happy to provide it if that helps.

My main point however was more in terms of being able to use APCC Pro as the point of interface between SkySafari or any other mobile software/hand control and the mount. Seems like this should be possible. I was wondering if anyone had tried it or have any suggestions.

Regards
Hemant

On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 2:50 PM, 'Christopher Erickson' christopher.k.erickson@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

[...]

Having APCC between Sky Safari Plus/Pro and the mount is an interesting idea.

You would need a way to make the PC look like and respond like the CP4's WiFi/Ethernet connections.  Basically to offer incoming mount control connections on TCP and/or UDP port 23 on the PC's IP address.

This would be a request to Ray to add that capability to APCC.

It would have network security concerns for your PC running APCC.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

> [...]

When I connect using The Skyx, the slew rate is good in one axis but not in the other. Moreover, the connection does lock up at times and I have to restart The SkyX. May be this is because the only connection option available with The SkyX is Paramount. I am guessing this can be made a generic interface but I guess that is a topic of discussion in a different forum.

What would be really nice to have is APCC providing a TCP server that Sky Safari can talk to. Is there a way to do this today? If not, is this something that can be considered? Not sure if one of the virtual com ports can be used somehow.

This turned out to be really simple. I used python and pySerial example code tcp_serial_redirect.py (https://github.com/pyserial/pyserial/blob/master/examples/tcp_serial_redirect.py).

All I needed to do was to launch the example code and connect it to one of the virtual serial ports created by APCC. The example starts a TCP server that SkySafari worked flawlessly with. I configured SkySafari for AP GTO and set the IP address to my Windows PC, port to what the example was listening to. I did have to disable firewall or create an exception.

The connection was very stable and when it dropped because of wifi issues, it would come back up without any problem at all.

I guess we could also use something similar to connect the hand controller to a physical port on the PC and then redirect it to an APCC virtual port. Does any one see any problems with that?

I believe something like this could be used to setup a robust remote setup as well. Next thing I intend to do is to run APCC pro as a server on the machine connected to the mount and connect APCC to the physical com port on the remote machine. I can then launch another instance of APCC on a remote machine (after taking care of licenses of course) and connect it over ethernet to the server. I am not sure if this will lead to any problems or not.

Ray, do you think this will work? Also, in the longer run, it will be great to support client/server model. I feel this is much more efficient way of remote operation and allows APCC to be the single interface to the mount.

Regards
Hemant

On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 2:50 PM, 'Christopher Erickson' christopher.k.erickson@gmail.com [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Hemant,

Although that's one way to do this, there are a couple other ways that have been planned to handle this:

1) We will embed in APCC a server that SkySafari can directly connect via wifi as if it were the mount.
2) We will provide a ReST API to allow other applications to connect and use APCC.

I expect these features to be available by the end of this year if nothing major comes up to affect progress.

Best regards,

-Ray Gralak

www.summitkinetics.com <http://www.summitkinetics.com/>

________________________________

[...]

<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-
signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>

Ron Kramer

Hemant, in my limited experience with APCC (demo) so far I was able to connect  sky-safari plus to the CP4 and control the mount. I often would lose connection or the ipad would shut down and upon re-opening the ipad and the app it would auto reconnect.  I didn't have good stable connection from CP4 and my laptop to APCC. So I leave that wired with eithernet (or USB). That keeps those stable. Then I only need be concerned with the ipad/or phone connected for pointing goto's.

I also have spotty wifi way out in the dome, so I tried CP4 as an access point and the ipad seemed more stable in that configuration. This let me use APCC in "usb mode" - while my ipad could connect to the CP4 via wifi.  I was just looking into creating a pointing model before my laptops both decided to take a vacation. (I also ran a ground cord after this to the dome) as it seemed strange two laptops would stop booting after being powered in the dome.

On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 8:37 AM, 'Ray Gralak (Groups)' groups3@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Hi Hemant,

Although that's one way to do this, there are a couple other ways that have been planned to handle this:

1) We will embed in APCC a server that SkySafari can directly connect via wifi as if it were the mount.
2) We will provide a ReST API to allow other applications to connect and use APCC.

I expect these features to be available by the end of this year if nothing major comes up to affect progress.

Best regards,

-Ray Gralak

Ray,

Perfect!! Thanks a lot. This will be great!

Regards
Hemant

On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 7:37 AM, 'Ray Gralak (Groups)' groups3@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Hi Hemant,

Although that's one way to do this, there are a couple other ways that have been planned to handle this:

1) We will embed in APCC a server that SkySafari can directly connect via wifi as if it were the mount.
2) We will provide a ReST API to allow other applications to connect and use APCC.

I expect these features to be available by the end of this year if nothing major comes up to affect progress.

Best regards,

-Ray Gralak

Ron,

Thanks a lot for sharing that experience. For me, connecting sky-safari to APCC was way more stable than connecting it to the mount directly. In fact I am yet to see any problem. Another problem with Sky-safari is that it if you connect sky-safari to the mount when it is parked in any position other than Park4, it can cause problems. I haven't checked but if I was to guess, this could be because Skysafari unparks from Park4 and not from "last parked". With a wrapper script between Sky-safari and APCC, this can be easily fixed.

Regards
Hemant

On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 11:31 AM, Ron Kramer ronkramer1957@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Hemant, in my limited experience with APCC (demo) so far I was able to connect  sky-safari plus to the CP4 and control the mount. I often would lose connection or the ipad would shut down and upon re-opening the ipad and the app it would auto reconnect.  I didn't have good stable connection from CP4 and my laptop to APCC. So I leave that wired with eithernet (or USB). That keeps those stable. Then I only need be concerned with the ipad/or phone connected for pointing goto's.

I also have spotty wifi way out in the dome, so I tried CP4 as an access point and the ipad seemed more stable in that configuration. This let me use APCC in "usb mode" - while my ipad could connect to the CP4 via wifi.  I was just looking into creating a pointing model before my laptops both decided to take a vacation. (I also ran a ground cord after this to the dome) as it seemed strange two laptops would stop booting after being powered in the dome.

On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 8:37 AM, 'Ray Gralak (Groups)' groups3@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Hi Hemant,

Although that's one way to do this, there are a couple other ways that have been planned to handle this:

1) We will embed in APCC a server that SkySafari can directly connect via wifi as if it were the mount.
2) We will provide a ReST API to allow other applications to connect and use APCC.

I expect these features to be available by the end of this year if nothing major comes up to affect progress.

Best regards,

-Ray Gralak

Bill Long

Very excited about these features!

Perfect!! Thanks a lot. This will be great!

Regards
Hemant

On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 7:37 AM, 'Ray Gralak (Groups)' groups3@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Hi Hemant,

Although that's one way to do this, there are a couple other ways that have been planned to handle this:

1) We will embed in APCC a server that SkySafari can directly connect via wifi as if it were the mount.
2) We will provide a ReST API to allow other applications to connect and use APCC.

I expect these features to be available by the end of this year if nothing major comes up to affect progress.

Best regards,

-Ray Gralak

SkySafari 6 pro was just released a few minutes ago.  Special intro price 19.95 - I've been beta testing it for the past several weeks. (months?)
ODDLY - today I could not connect SS to the mount.  I'm a gluten for trouble. All was well, but I picked up a intel Nuc and have to reinstall all software
and drivers over to that machine. (Which I will leave in the dome even in these sub zero winter months). Having trouble connecting to the CP4
wifi at all as of today.