From: calypte@... [ap-gto]
To: ap-gto
Sent: Wed, Sep 20, 2017 5:58 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] Recommended lubricant

I have a Mach1GTO from early 2010.  The recommended lubricant is Aeroshell 33MS -- correct?  This is the same stuff that I'm finding on Amazon packaged in half-ounce containers for gun maintenance -- correct?  I'm also finding it in 2 oz containers.  I also found an ad saying that the lubricant has been renamed AeroShell Grease 64?  Is this correct?  I'm ready to pop an order, but I want to make sure I get the correct lubricant in an appropriate quantity.

AstroMm

What about lubriplate?
(For stationary, observatory mount.)

calypte@...

Hmm.  Is Nyogel 788 what you're using in the factory now?  Part of my reason for asking is that I don't want to end up with another tube of something that I'll end up never using.  I have a big container of Slick 50, which I've never opened, although I see that some of it has leaked out, and it looks to me like some of it has separated -- but I'm not an expert.  Extreme low temps aren't an issue for me.  The coldest we've had in 5-1/2 years of living in Anza, CA, at about 4000 ft elevation, is two consecutive nights of 15 deg F.  We've never had a day below freezing.

Roland Christen

Lubriplate is a bit thin and is not really a worm gear grease.

From: calypte@... [ap-gto]
To: ap-gto Sent: Wed, Sep 20, 2017 7:03 pm

Rolando, what lubricant was used on my mount when it was shipped in Feb 2010?  Nye Lubricants appears to be set up for industrial customers, not end users.  I had to register on their website (still waiting for approval), and they demanded to know my "company."  Maybe I should have used the name of my observatory to make it look official.  Also, I'm a bit apprehensive about ordering multiple lubricants to mix the cocktail that you now use on the mounts.

Woody Schlom <woody@...>

I see that TAI Lubrications (Nye's official small volume distributor) sells little squeeze tubes of 795, but I didn't see 788.

Woody