Recommended lubricant

calypte@...

I have a Mach1GTO from early 2010.  The recommended lubricant is Aeroshell 33MS -- correct?  This is the same stuff that I'm finding on Amazon packaged in half-ounce containers for gun maintenance -- correct?  I'm also finding it in 2 oz containers.  I also found an ad saying that the lubricant has been renamed AeroShell Grease 64?  Is this correct?  I'm ready to pop an order, but I want to make sure I get the correct lubricant in an appropriate quantity.

Roland Christen

Hi,

Aeroshell is a good grease to use for your worm gears, but it is very messy. Another good grease is Nyogel 788 worm gear grease which is much nicer to work with. https://www.nyelubricants.com/nyogel. 788 is specifically made for worm gears.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: ap-gto
Sent: Wed, Sep 20, 2017 5:58 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] Recommended lubricant

I have a Mach1GTO from early 2010.  The recommended lubricant is Aeroshell 33MS -- correct?  This is the same stuff that I'm finding on Amazon packaged in half-ounce containers for gun maintenance -- correct?  I'm also finding it in 2 oz containers.  I also found an ad saying that the lubricant has been renamed AeroShell Grease 64?  Is this correct?  I'm ready to pop an order, but I want to make sure I get the correct lubricant in an appropriate quantity.

AstroMm

What about lubriplate?
(For stationary, observatory mount.)

calypte@...

Hmm.  Is Nyogel 788 what you're using in the factory now?  Part of my reason for asking is that I don't want to end up with another tube of something that I'll end up never using.  I have a big container of Slick 50, which I've never opened, although I see that some of it has leaked out, and it looks to me like some of it has separated -- but I'm not an expert.  Extreme low temps aren't an issue for me.  The coldest we've had in 5-1/2 years of living in Anza, CA, at about 4000 ft elevation, is two consecutive nights of 15 deg F.  We've never had a day below freezing.

Roland Christen

Lubriplate is a bit thin and is not really a worm gear grease.

Rolando

Sent: Wed, Sep 20, 2017 6:29 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Recommended lubricant

What about lubriplate?
(For stationary, observatory mount.)

Woody Schlom <woody@...>

Ah, isn't 15° F below 32° F?  And isn't 32° F freezing?

Woody

Hmm.  Is Nyogel 788 what you're using in the factory now?  Part of my reason for asking is that I don't want to end up with another tube of something that I'll end up never using.  I have a big container of Slick 50, which I've never opened, although I see that some of it has leaked out, and it looks to me like some of it has separated -- but I'm not an expert.  Extreme low temps aren't an issue for me.  The coldest we've had in 5-1/2 years of living in Anza, CA, at about 4000 ft elevation, is two consecutive nights of 15 deg F.  We've never had a day below freezing.

Roland Christen

We use 788, add a bit of 795 to make it stick better since worm gears tend to wipe grease off due to the way worms rotate. We add a bit of 868 which has teflon in it to reduce friction. This also coats the gear teeth and makes for a smoother drive rate.

Rolando

Sent: Wed, Sep 20, 2017 6:32 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Recommended lubricant

calypte@...

Yes, 15 is below 32, but I don't have the same requirement as someone with an observatory in, say, Canada or Machesney Park, IL.  We don't change the grade of motor oil in our cars for winter or use heated dipsticks.  I think the formerly recommended Aeroshell 33MS (when did it fall out of favor?) was selected for its utility in very cold temperatures -- far colder than our coldest.

calypte@...

Rolando, what lubricant was used on my mount when it was shipped in Feb 2010?  Nye Lubricants appears to be set up for industrial customers, not end users.  I had to register on their website (still waiting for approval), and they demanded to know my "company."  Maybe I should have used the name of my observatory to make it look official.  Also, I'm a bit apprehensive about ordering multiple lubricants to mix the cocktail that you now use on the mounts.

ayiomamitis

I am also starting to wonder and worry. I bought two tubes of Lubriplate 50 or something similar and which was/is used for auto transmissions when they are first started up. All of these changes and evolution history begs the question as to what is changing so quickly to warrant these frequent migrations to new lubricants and exotic mixes.

Anthony.

Στις 9/21/2017 03:03, ο calypte@... [ap-gto] έγραψε:

Rolando, what lubricant was used on my mount when it was shipped in Feb 2010?  Nye Lubricants appears to be set up for industrial customers, not end users.  I had to register on their website (still waiting for approval), and they demanded to know my "company."  Maybe I should have used the name of my observatory to make it look official.  Also, I'm a bit apprehensive about ordering multiple lubricants to mix the cocktail that you now use on the mounts.

Mike Shade

I use and have used Aeroshell for a few years...in SE AZ, elevation 5000...100 in summer, 20s in winter-or occasionally colder...AP1600/AP1200/AP Mach1...seems to make everyone happy.

Mike J. Shade: mshade@q.com

Mike J. Shade Photography:

mshadephotography.com

In War: Resolution

In Defeat: Defiance

In Victory: Magnanimity

In Peace: Goodwill

Sir Winston Churchill

Already, in the gathering dusk, a few of the stars are turning on their lights.

Vega, the brightest one, is now dropping towards the west. Can it be half

a year since I watched her April rising in the east? Low in the southwest

Antares blinks a sad farwell to fall...

Leslie Peltier, Starlight Nights

International Dark Sky Association: <http://www.darksky.org/> www.darksky.org

Sent: Wednesday, September 20, 2017 5:03 PM
To: ap-gto@...
Subject: [ap-gto] Re: Recommended lubricant

Rolando, what lubricant was used on my mount when it was shipped in Feb 2010? Nye Lubricants appears to be set up for industrial customers, not end users. I had to register on their website (still waiting for approval), and they demanded to know my "company." Maybe I should have used the name of my observatory to make it look official. Also, I'm a bit apprehensive about ordering multiple lubricants to mix the cocktail that you now use on the mounts.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Roland Christen

Back then we used 788 with a bit of 795 mixed in.

One reason we tried Aeroshell was due to a few customers in far northern climes that had problems at -25 and below. We have since increased the size of the motors in the larger mounts, plus you can operate the mount at higher voltages in the extreme cold.

Rolando

To: ap-gto Sent: Wed, Sep 20, 2017 7:03 pm

Woody Schlom <woody@...>

I see that TAI Lubrications (Nye's official small volume distributor) sells little squeeze tubes of 795, but I didn't see 788.

Woody

Sent: Wednesday, September 20, 2017 5:21 PM
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Re: Recommended lubricant

Back then we used 788 with a bit of 795 mixed in.

One reason we tried Aeroshell was due to a few customers in far northern climes that had problems at -25 and below. We have since increased the size of the motors in the larger mounts, plus you can operate the mount at higher voltages in the extreme cold.

Rolando

To: ap-gto <ap-gto@...>
Sent: Wed, Sep 20, 2017 7:03 pm

Joe Zeglinski

The AeroShell 33MS is the recommended grease for “airplane service mechanics” almost exclusively at all airports, to use on landing gear parts.
One reason is of course the extreme cold the grease needs to survive at high altitudes, but the other reason SHELL developed it  was to handle the severe torques involved in raising and lowering the plane’s massive landing gear, not to mention the sudden jolt on touchdown.

These exceptional conditions is what makes the 33MS a terrific grease for our mounts – under just about any bad conditions. Visit the SHELL website and learn stuff about why it is recommended by the Pro’s in the flying business.

However, if you were to follow FAA protocol, each  grease container has to be “dated” – there is a best-before date, when the oil separates from the grease. Regulations requiring it to be no more than 4 years after production for airplane use – I don’t think scope mounts need to do likewise. So, no use buying too much and then having to dispose of it,  safely.

The other problem in buying it online, is that it “CANNOT BE SHIPPED” by air, (I asked),  so delivery may be a problem.
I got a grease-gun sized tube by visiting the local “airport-row”, and found a  “airline mechanics supplies” company who sold be a grease-gun sized cartridge for $20 ... and he also wrote the remaining lifetime  on it, since it was one tube from a case of tubes, and only the outside of the case is dated. So he (legally) wrote the remaining lifetime on it, before handing it to me. They are EXTREMELY cautious - FAA Rules -  about the quality of airplane grease – which is reassuring.

Joe

Roland Christen

It's easy to extend the "best before" time. Just stir the oil back in if it has separated. The oil is what gives the grease its lube quality. The thickener is just that - thickener.

Rolando

Sent: Wed, Sep 20, 2017 8:35 pm

The AeroShell 33MS is the recommended grease for “airplane service mechanics” almost exclusively at all airports, to use on landing gear parts.
One reason is of course the extreme cold the grease needs to survive at high altitudes, but the other reason SHELL developed it  was to handle the severe torques involved in raising and lowering the plane’s massive landing gear, not to mention the sudden jolt on touchdown.

These exceptional conditions is what makes the 33MS a terrific grease for our mounts – under just about any bad conditions. Visit the SHELL website and learn stuff about why it is recommended by the Pro’s in the flying business.

However, if you were to follow FAA protocol, each  grease container has to be “dated” – there is a best-before date, when the oil separates from the grease. Regulations requiring it to be no more than 4 years after production for airplane use – I don’t think scope mounts need to do likewise. So, no use buying too much and then having to dispose of it,  safely.

The other problem in buying it online, is that it “CANNOT BE SHIPPED” by air, (I asked),  so delivery may be a problem.
I got a grease-gun sized tube by visiting the local “airport-row”, and found a  “airline mechanics supplies” company who sold be a grease-gun sized cartridge for $20 ... and he also wrote the remaining lifetime  on it, since it was one tube from a case of tubes, and only the outside of the case is dated. So he (legally) wrote the remaining lifetime on it, before handing it to me. They are EXTREMELY cautious - FAA Rules -  about the quality of airplane grease – which is reassuring.

Joe

calypte@...

" The other problem in buying it online, is that it “CANNOT BE SHIPPED” by air, (I asked),  so delivery may be a problem."  

I wonder then about the guys who are selling it on Amazon in small containers for firearm maintenance.

calypte@...

"I use and have used Aeroshell for a few years...in SE AZ, elevation 5000...100 in summer, 20s in winter-or occasionally colder...AP1600/AP1200/AP Mach1...seems to make everyone happy."

SE AZ has a similar climate to mine.  We even get the monsoon at times.

Mike Shade

I would think the Aeroshell would most likely be fine. WE had a heck of a monsoon this year, 12.62" of rain since June 1...

Mike J. Shade: mshade@q.com

Mike J. Shade Photography:

mshadephotography.com

In War: Resolution

In Defeat: Defiance

In Victory: Magnanimity

In Peace: Goodwill

Sir Winston Churchill

Already, in the gathering dusk, a few of the stars are turning on their lights.

Vega, the brightest one, is now dropping towards the west. Can it be half

a year since I watched her April rising in the east? Low in the southwest

Antares blinks a sad farwell to fall...

Leslie Peltier, Starlight Nights

International Dark Sky Association: <http://www.darksky.org/> www.darksky.org

Sent: Wednesday, September 20, 2017 8:02 PM

"I use and have used Aeroshell for a few years...in SE AZ, elevation 5000...100 in summer, 20s in winter-or occasionally colder...AP1600/AP1200/AP Mach1...seems to make everyone happy."

SE AZ has a similar climate to mine. We even get the monsoon at times.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

calypte@...

"Back then we used 788 with a bit of 795 mixed in."

So, even then, it was a bit of a cocktail.  

I asked a question about lubricants.  You gave A-P's best current recommendation.  I have my answer.  Thank you.  

Roland Christen

Before GoTo the gears of an equatorial mount did not move much in Dec and only moved very slowly at the sidereal rate in RA. Once GoTo was fully developed with >1000X sidereal rate in both axes, the worm gears were now subject to a lot of rubbing wear, so it became critical to reduce friction and wear on the teeth. In industrial gearboxes a worm gear is usually submerged in oil so that there is never metal to metal contact - a film of oil prevents that. That is hardly possible in an amateur mount, so the next best thing is to add grease to the worm. The grease naturally gets pushed off by the sideways motion of the worm gear teeth, so this grease must have some stickiness to it.

Lubriplate was developed for piston insertion and was intended to wash away when the lubricating oil hits it. It is too thin and does not really stick to the gear teeth of a worm drive. Thus the use of specially developed worm gear grease.

Rolando

To: ap-gto Sent: Wed, Sep 20, 2017 9:39 pm

I am also starting to wonder and worry. I bought two tubes of Lubriplate 50 or something similar and which was/is used for auto transmissions when they are first started up. All of these changes and evolution history begs the question as to what is changing so quickly to warrant these frequent migrations to new lubricants and exotic mixes.
Anthony.

Στις 9/21/2017 03:03, ο calypte@... [ap-gto] έγραψε: