Keep AP900GTO outside

georges.reif@...

Hello group :o)

I'm a very happy new user of AP900GTO mount and this is my first message.
I use it since a few weeks and everything is OK.

I'm using it on a permanent pier.
Every session i take it out, use it and take it inside after.

Of course i have to do a correct polar alignement at each session.

A solution to avoid redoing polar alignement each time is to let the lower part of the mount permanently outside and cover it with something waterproof and sun/heat proof. I can remove the CP3 Box easily after every session. I was think at a wooden box with big insulation but with air flowing through from the bottom.

What do you think about this ? Do you think this can give problems ? Corrosion problems, heat problems ...

Thanks a lot,

Cheers

clink6

I keep an A-P Mach 1 mount outside.  I store it (polar aligned) under an insulated TeleGizmos cover (www.telegizmos.com).  I only remove the OTA and power supply to store indoors after an observing session.  I've done this for almost three years with no observable issues with the electronics.

Best regards,
Bob Rosenstein

Konstantin von Poschinger

Hi,

Till now I let all my mounts, 1200 900 and now 1600 outside. I remove the control box and the counter wight shaft. Then I cover it first with a thin plastic sack. Then I put a sack made of truck cover it.

Grüsse

Konstantin

Konstantin v. Poschinger

Hammerichstr. 5
22605 Hamburg
040/8805747
0171/1983476

Am 30.08.2017 um 13:34 schrieb georges.reif@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...>:

Hello group :o)

I'm a very happy new user of AP900GTO mount and this is my first message.
I use it since a few weeks and everything is OK.

I'm using it on a permanent pier.
Every session i take it out, use it and take it inside after.

Of course i have to do a correct polar alignement at each session.

A solution to avoid redoing polar alignement each time is to let the lower part of the mount permanently outside and cover it with something waterproof and sun/heat proof. I can remove the CP3 Box easily after every session. I was think at a wooden box with big insulation but with air flowing through from the bottom.

What do you think about this ? Do you think this can give problems ? Corrosion problems, heat problems ...

Thanks a lot,

Cheers

steven ho

I image all year long hence my AP900 remains outside 365 days a year. I cover the mount and CP4 with this..

http://www.telegizmos.com/365%20sizes%20and%20prices%20page%202.htm

www.telegizmos.com
Dealers & Ordering click here. Contact us direct: Monday-Friday, 9-4 CST, 972-849-9240 . email us... sales@.... 365 Series Covers...

And also use this to reduce moisture...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D1WYXR0

steve hoffman

I'm a very happy new user of AP900GTO mount and this is my first message.
I use it since a few weeks and everything is OK.

I'm using it on a permanent pier.
Every session i take it out, use it and take it inside after.

Of course i have to do a correct polar alignement at each session.

A solution to avoid redoing polar alignement each time is to let the lower part of the mount permanently outside and cover it with something waterproof and sun/heat proof. I can remove the CP3 Box easily after every session. I was think at a wooden box with big insulation but with air flowing through from the bottom.

What do you think about this ? Do you think this can give problems ? Corrosion problems, heat problems ...

Thanks a lot,

Cheers

georges.reif@...

Hi all,

Many thanks for your messages.
I think i'll let the mount outside also. Probably only the lower part wich is critical for polar alignement.
I was afraid of eventual damages (heat, cold, wet) but your experiences show that it is not the case.

So when you let the mount outside with no scope...and you start a session...what are you doing ?
1°/ Mount the scope, cables, camera etc...
2°/ Switch on the system.
3°/ ?
Then you start doing a few sync on stars or do you redo a polar alignement with 2 stars or ?

I cannot stop the mount in a "park" position because i have a heavy OTA on it that i cannot remove without a special table. I free the mount clutches and slew by hand the scope so that the scope is put on the table. Then i remove counterweights, remove the OTA and remove the counterweight shafts. I do the same in reverse order for mounting the OTA.

Thanks

Georges

PS : Sorry for my bad english.

Roland Christen

1°/ Mount the scope, cables, camera etc...
2°/ Switch on the system.
3°/ ?
Then you start doing a few sync on stars or do you redo a polar alignement with 2 stars or ?
Forget syncs on stars or doing new polar alignment, not necessary with polar aligned mount, which you have.

3/  With keypad on Autoconnect = YES, simply press Objects, then enter a star or other sky object and let the mount slew to it. Center the object in your camera/eyepiece and press Rcal. You are done. You can now go to any other object, it's that simple.

[...]

Thanks Rolando.

The mount must be in a precise start position i presume ?

Maybe i can do following at the end of a session :
- Slew to a park position and mark the position on the circles.
- Free the clutches and move by hand the scope to the table, remove everything from the mount...
- Move by hand back to the marked park position and block the clutch again.

And then i can restart as you told me and do a Rcal. (?)

>Forget syncs on stars or doing new polar alignment, not necessary with polar aligned mount, which you have.
>
>3/  With keypad on Autoconnect = YES, simply press Objects, then enter a star or other sky object and let the >mount slew to it. Center the object in your camera/eyepiece and press Rcal. You are done. You can now go >to any other object, it's that simple.

>Rolando

Roland Christen

It doesn't have to be ultra-precise for your starting position. You can eyeball the position and then send the mount to the first object via GoTo. It should be somewhere in the finder. Then just center the object with the buttons and do a Recal.

If you want to be more precise, then send the mount to one of the known park positions, turn off power. Mark the two axes with a piece of masking tape - slit the tape with your fingernail or suitable sharp blade. Then you can loosen the clutches, turn the axes to the unloading position, remove the scope and cover the mount. Next time you put the scope back on, manually move the axes back to where the tape ends line up and you are in business. Turn on power, send the mount to an object via GoTo, center it via the buttons and press Rcal.