Go to programs from the laptop

Mark Bateman

Hello,

I have an 1100GTO and my friend uses a computer program to go to on his EQ6 shywatcher that allows him to sit at the computer and select objects and his mount will go to them without the need for the hand controller. Could someone tell me what programs will do this or recommend a program that works well with my mount and tell me any additional things I may need to buy to make it work. I don't mind using the hand controller but was just wondering. His program also allows him to see the chip size and move the telescope to best fit the field of view.

Thank you

Mark Bateman

Worsel

Mark

I have an 1100 / CP4 as well (no hand control).  You should be able to do what you want with no additional costs.  I used the following with the CP3 and the CP4 controller.

Because A-P provides an ASCOM driver (Ray Gralak - author) for all their mounts, any planetarium program that has an ASCOM interface will work.  I use Cartes du Ciel (CdC) (http://ap-i.net/skychart/en/start).  There are others.

You can setup the display to show the FOV for your specific scope / camera combination.  CdC is free and Patrick Chevalley continues to support it actively.  CdC is free.

P.S.  You might look into AstroTortilla, as well (https://sourceforge.net/p/astrotortilla/discussion/).  It is a plate-solver, based on astrometry.net , similar to APPM.   AT is free.  You can center an object to within 0.1 arc-minutes, because AT also has an ASCOM interface FOR CERTAIN CAMERA APPS.  If you do not use one of these apps, then AT can still work; you just have to manually capture images to re-center the mount.  It typically takes no more than three iterations at less than 15 seconds per iteration, to center a desired object.  Less time, if you are OK with less accuracy than 0.1'.

Bryan

---In ap-gto@..., <ayersrockastromark@...> wrote :

Hello,

I have an 1100GTO and my friend uses a computer program to go to on his EQ6 shywatcher that allows him to sit at the computer and select objects and his mount will go to them without the need for the hand controller. Could someone tell me what programs will do this or recommend a program that works well with my mount and tell me any additional things I may need to buy to make it work. I don't mind using the hand controller but was just wondering. His program also allows him to see the chip size and move the telescope to best fit the field of view.

Thank you

Mark Bateman

Mark Bateman

Thank you Bryan. I have Cartes du Ciel on my laptop. Do I need a chord or anything to go from my computer to the mount?

Mark

Roland Christen

Sounds like he is using TheSkyX.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: ap-gto
Sent: Fri, Aug 4, 2017 10:46 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] Go to programs from the laptop

Hello,

Thank you

Mark Bateman

Worsel

Mark

The CP3 Control Box has RS-232 (AKA serial or COM) ports for connecting to your PC.  Unless you have a serial port on the PC, you will need a serial-to-USB adapter.  There are a couple different chipsets in the adapters.  I don't need the adapter, but I understand that the FTDI chipset works OK.  Not sure about the Prolific chipset.  Perhaps others can comment.

In addition to the RS-232 ports, the CP4 also has WiFI, USB, and Ethernet (LAN) ports that you can use.  I connect the Ethernet port on my CP4 to a router that connects to the PC.  Note that the USB port is a Type-B connector.

You could go cable-less with WiFi, but it takes some tinkering and there is slower throughput.  Since I have lots of cables running between mount and PC anyway, going with the WiFI wasn't an advantage.  Other setups might be different

This A-P manual is what you need to read, especially pages 7-13.

If you don't have it installed already, then you will also need the A-P ASCOM V2 driver (free, since it only works with A-P mounts).  This isn't more hardware, but is the software link between the mount and the PC.

You will also need ASCOM V 6.3 installed, and the associated Microsoft .NET frameworks.  Links to ASCOM are on the above page.

I hope I haven't overwhelmed you!  It may take some time and there may be some bumps, but PC control of the mount is REALLY nice.

Bryan

Mark Bateman

Thank you all very much. I now have two weeks before I go to Queensland Astrofest to get this working.

Thanks again

Mark

On Sunday, 6 August 2017, 3:00, "bryancashion@... [ap-gto]" wrote:

Mark

The CP3 Control Box has RS-232 (AKA serial or COM) ports for connecting to your PC.  Unless you have a serial port on the PC, you will need a serial-to-USB adapter.  There are a couple different chipsets in the adapters.  I don't need the adapter, but I understand that the FTDI chipset works OK.  Not sure about the Prolific chipset.  Perhaps others can comment.

In addition to the RS-232 ports, the CP4 also has WiFI, USB, and Ethernet (LAN) ports that you can use.  I connect the Ethernet port on my CP4 to a router that connects to the PC.  Note that the USB port is a Type-B connector.

You could go cable-less with WiFi, but it takes some tinkering and there is slower throughput.  Since I have lots of cables running between mount and PC anyway, going with the WiFI wasn't an advantage.  Other setups might be different

This A-P manual is what you need to read, especially pages 7-13.

If you don't have it installed already, then you will also need the A-P ASCOM V2 driver (free, since it only works with A-P mounts).  This isn't more hardware, but is the software link between the mount and the PC.

You will also need ASCOM V 6.3 installed, and the associated Microsoft .NET frameworks.  Links to ASCOM are on the above page.

I hope I haven't overwhelmed you!  It may take some time and there may be some bumps, but PC control of the mount is REALLY nice.

Bryan