Go to programs from the laptop

Mark Bateman

Hello,

I have an 1100GTO and my friend uses a computer program to go to on his EQ6 shywatcher that allows him to sit at the computer and select objects and his mount will go to them without the need for the hand controller. Could someone tell me what programs will do this or recommend a program that works well with my mount and tell me any additional things I may need to buy to make it work. I don't mind using the hand controller but was just wondering. His program also allows him to see the chip size and move the telescope to best fit the field of view.

Thank you

Mark Bateman

Worsel

Mark

I have an 1100 / CP4 as well (no hand control).  You should be able to do what you want with no additional costs.  I used the following with the CP3 and the CP4 controller.

Because A-P provides an ASCOM driver (Ray Gralak - author) for all their mounts, any planetarium program that has an ASCOM interface will work.  I use Cartes du Ciel (CdC) (http://ap-i.net/skychart/en/start).  There are others.

You can setup the display to show the FOV for your specific scope / camera combination.  CdC is free and Patrick Chevalley continues to support it actively.  CdC is free.

P.S.  You might look into AstroTortilla, as well (https://sourceforge.net/p/astrotortilla/discussion/).  It is a plate-solver, based on astrometry.net , similar to APPM.   AT is free.  You can center an object to within 0.1 arc-minutes, because AT also has an ASCOM interface FOR CERTAIN CAMERA APPS.  If you do not use one of these apps, then AT can still work; you just have to manually capture images to re-center the mount.  It typically takes no more than three iterations at less than 15 seconds per iteration, to center a desired object.  Less time, if you are OK with less accuracy than 0.1'.

Bryan

---In ap-gto@..., <ayersrockastromark@...> wrote :

Hello,

I have an 1100GTO and my friend uses a computer program to go to on his EQ6 shywatcher that allows him to sit at the computer and select objects and his mount will go to them without the need for the hand controller. Could someone tell me what programs will do this or recommend a program that works well with my mount and tell me any additional things I may need to buy to make it work. I don't mind using the hand controller but was just wondering. His program also allows him to see the chip size and move the telescope to best fit the field of view.

Thank you

Mark Bateman

Mark Bateman

Thank you Bryan. I have Cartes du Ciel on my laptop. Do I need a chord or anything to go from my computer to the mount?

Mark

Roland Christen

Sounds like he is using TheSkyX.