Guiding Issues

gardner.w@...

Back story...I gave up on imaging a year ago because of a guiding issue that suddenly appeared and I could not remedy.

I now have a new computer, and new connections between that computer and the serial connections (ie new USB-Serial)  Mount is a 900.  Never gave me problems before.  Tracking and gotos are not effected at all.  Problem is when I hit "Guide"

Normal setup is using AP driver (current version) with ACP, Maxim (6.11 have seen behaviour though in other versions) and FMx v4 all connecting to the mount through the AP driver.  Guider is an Orion Starshoot (KWIK Guider).  Setup is in a dome.

Calibration of Guider seems to be issue I think.  The "L" pattern forms, but then there are some calibration runs when the final return jog shows zero movement.  Other times I do get a full proper "L"

When I do get the proper pattern and then start guiding, I watch as the Guide star gets sent all over the place and then out of the window.  Lowering the Aggressiveness simply extends how long before the star is lost, but does not help that it wanders all over the place.

To remove Maxim from the equation, I have tried guiding with PHD and see the same behaviour.  PHD seems to be happy with its calibration run, but then goes nuts as soon as it attempts to guide.

Please....help me track down the source of this issue...I really want to image again!

Bill

_____________

Pictor Observatory
http://www.pictorobservatory. ca

Twitter: @pictorobs

Minor Planet 21350 - billgardner

Don Anderson

Bill
Sounds like you may have a backlash issue in you RA axis gear train. Another possibility is the set screw on the gear attached to the worm gear shaft could be loose.
Hope this helps.

Don Anderson

[...]

Steven

Hi Bill,

You can't imagine how happy I was to see your post.

I've been having the very same problem, identical, and for the life of me, I can't work it out.

My guide star isn't jumping out of the box, but the guiding table in Maxim is chaotic. The images are eggy.

We're hoping someone has a suggestion.

Steve

NZ

[...]

Jon <jmartin590@...>

 Are you using a guide cable from mount to camera or are you using pulse guiding (no cord)?

Jon

On 4/22/2017 9:06 PM, gardner.w@... [ap-gto] wrote:

[...]

Jon,

I have tried both. Normally I issue my guide corrections through the mount. My guide cable is old and I don't have my second guide cable at the moment, but last year using either guide cables attached to the main camera did not have any effects to the positive.

Bill

Jon <jmartin590@...>

If you could post your guide logs on the Stark Labs forum. The proper people will be able to analyze what the problem is but, I would post logs using the regular guiding and the pulse guiding. You can do some test guiding just to get a short guide log that shows the problems. I believe the instructions for posting the logs are listed on the Stark Labs forum and in the instructions for PHD2.

Jon

On 4/23/2017 12:15 PM, gardner.w@... [ap-gto] wrote:

Jon,

I have tried both. Normally I issue my guide corrections through the mount. My guide cable is old and I don't have my second guide cable at the moment, but last year using either guide cables attached to the main camera did not have any effects to the positive.

Bill

Steven

I also switched to the cable after pulse guiding didn't seem to work properly. Neither pulse nor cable made any difference,.

Steve

I have tried both. Normally I issue my guide corrections through the mount. My guide cable is old and I don't have my second guide cable at the moment, but last year using either guide cables attached to the main camera did not have any effects to the positive.

Bill

Andy Galasso

>> Jon wrote:
If you could post your guide logs on the Stark Labs forum. The proper people will be able to analyze what the problem is but, I would post logs using the regular guiding and the pulse guiding. You can do some test guiding just to get a short guide log that shows the problems. I believe the instructions for posting the logs are listed on the Stark Labs forum and in the instructions for PHD2.

You can find the instructions here: PHD2 Log File Instructions.

Andy

Roland Christen

Usually when the guide star moves out of the box it is because the pier flip box in Maxim has been checked. What this does is to reverse the calibration moves so that instead of the guide star slowly moving toward the center, it starts heading away from the center and eventually moves out of the guide box.

When you do your calibration, do not check the pier flip box.