Great American Eclipse 2017

Hi all,

What an exciting event this will be from coast to coast!!!

We are going to be in Casper, WY for ASTROCON 2017 (Astronomical League Convention) August 16-19 preceding the eclipse on the 21st.

https://astrocon2017.astroleague.org/

Who is planning to be there????

If not, where will you be??

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics, Inc

11250 Forest Hills Rd

Machesney Park, IL 61115

Phone: 815-282-1513

Fax: 815-282-9847

www.astro-physics.com

Eric Baumgartner

Hi, Marg:

A bunch of us—four couples—booked rooms in a small bed-and-breakfast about 2 miles from eclipse centerline north of Victor, Idaho, on the western side of the Grand Tetons. The inn’s fifth room is being taken by a couple traveling from Australia for the eclipse. The inn is on 20 acres under dark rural skies, so I’m going to bring along my AP130 GT for nighttime observing, too. After all, it’s a new-moon night!

Eric Baumgartner
Redding, CT USA

From: Astro-Physics GTO users group <ap-gto@...> on behalf of Astro-Physics GTO users group <ap-gto@...>
Date: Friday, April 14, 2017 at 10:52 AM
To: Astro-Physics users group <ap-ug@...>, Astro-Physics GTO users group <ap-gto@...>
Subject: [ap-gto] Great American Eclipse 2017

Hi all,

What an exciting event this will be from coast to coast!!!

We are going to be in Casper, WY for ASTROCON 2017 (Astronomical League Convention) August 16-19 preceding the eclipse on the 21st.

https://astrocon2017.astroleague.org/

Who is planning to be there????

If not, where will you be??

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics, Inc

11250 Forest Hills Rd
Machesney Park, IL 61115
Phone: 815-282-1513
Fax: 815-282-9847
www.astro-physics.com

ghassen214

For those who have been there before?

So what’s the best way to view a maybe twice in a lifetime event?

Bring your equipment and focus on imaging the event to death?

Or just getting a good place in the middle of it all and taking in the whole scene.

Is there really time to do both?

Thnx..Greg

From: Astro-Physics GTO users group <ap-gto@...> on behalf of Astro-Physics GTO users group <ap-gto@...>
Date: Friday, April 14, 2017 at 10:52 AM
To: Astro-Physics users group <ap-ug@...>, Astro-Physics GTO users group <ap-gto@...>

Hi all,

What an exciting event this will be from coast to coast!!!

We are going to be in Casper, WY for ASTROCON 2017 (Astronomical League Convention) August 16-19 preceding the eclipse on the 21st.

https://astrocon2017.astroleague.org/

Who is planning to be there????

If not, where will you be??

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics, Inc

11250 Forest Hills Rd

Machesney Park, IL 61115

Phone: 815-282-1513

Fax: 815-282-9847

Mark Striebeck

My advice is: bring your equipment. set everything up for automatic imaging. and when the main event happens just experience it. do not worry about imaging or anything. it's an amazing event and the experience of it is so much more important then any images you could take.

     Mark

From: Astro-Physics GTO users group <ap-gto@...> on behalf of Astro-Physics GTO users group <ap-gto@...>
Date: Friday, April 14, 2017 at 10:52 AM
To: Astro-Physics users group <ap-ug@...>, Astro-Physics GTO users group <ap-gto@...>

Hi all,

What an exciting event this will be from coast to coast!!!

We are going to be in Casper, WY for ASTROCON 2017 (Astronomical League Convention) August 16-19 preceding the eclipse on the 21st.

https://astrocon2017.astroleague.org/

Who is planning to be there????

If not, where will you be??

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics, Inc

Eric,

That sounds like a great spot! Good find!

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics, Inc

11250 Forest Hills Rd

Machesney Park, IL 61115

Phone: 815-282-1513

Fax: 815-282-9847

www.astro-physics.com

From: Astro-Physics GTO users group <ap-gto@...> on behalf of Astro-Physics GTO users group <ap-gto@...>
Date: Friday, April 14, 2017 at 10:52 AM
To: Astro-Physics users group <ap-ug@...>, Astro-Physics GTO users group <ap-gto@...>

Hi all,

What an exciting event this will be from coast to coast!!!

We are going to be in Casper, WY for ASTROCON 2017 (Astronomical League Convention) August 16-19 preceding the eclipse on the 21st.

https://astrocon2017.astroleague.org/

Who is planning to be there????

If not, where will you be??

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics, Inc

11250 Forest Hills Rd

Machesney Park, IL 61115

Phone: 815-282-1513

Fax: 815-282-9847

Harley Davidson

Greg

Take a few pictures if you want but ENJOY the view most of all! It goes by so quickly...

tony

From: Astro-Physics GTO users group <ap-gto@...> on behalf of Astro-Physics GTO users group <ap-gto@...>
Date: Friday, April 14, 2017 at 10:52 AM
To: Astro-Physics users group <ap-ug@...>, Astro-Physics GTO users group <ap-gto@...>

Hi all,

What an exciting event this will be from coast to coast!!!

We are going to be in Casper, WY for ASTROCON 2017 (Astronomical League Convention) August 16-19 preceding the eclipse on the 21st.

https://astrocon2017.astroleague.org/

Who is planning to be there????

If not, where will you be??

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics, Inc

11250 Forest Hills Rd

Machesney Park, IL 61115

Phone: 815-282-1513

Fax: 815-282-9847

Christopher Erickson

Victor, Idaho.  Just outside the main entrance to Yellowstone.

Christopher Erickson
Consulting Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

What an exciting event this will be from coast to coast!!!

We are going to be in Casper, WY for ASTROCON 2017 (Astronomical League Convention) August 16-19 preceding the eclipse on the 21st.

https://astrocon2017.astroleague.org/

Who is planning to be there????

If not, where will you be??

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics, Inc

11250 Forest Hills Rd

Machesney Park, IL 61115

Phone: 815-282-1513

Fax: 815-282-9847

www.astro-physics.com

Geof Lewis

Having been clouded out for the last total solar ecipse in the UK in 1999, I'm flying into South Carolina to stay with my cousin who lives almost bang on the center line. I've not seen one yet, so hopefully I haven't jinxed SC with cloud this time....
Cheers,

Geof

R Edelson

Is anyone planning on being on the east coast in South Carolina? I'm looking for a place where some folks are getting together there.

Richard

Mark Striebeck

I'll be at OSP - can't wait!

On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 9:59 AM, 'Christopher Erickson' christopher.k.erickson@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Victor, Idaho.  Just outside the main entrance to Yellowstone.

Christopher Erickson
Consulting Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

What an exciting event this will be from coast to coast!!!

We are going to be in Casper, WY for ASTROCON 2017 (Astronomical League Convention) August 16-19 preceding the eclipse on the 21st.

https://astrocon2017.astroleague.org/

Who is planning to be there????

If not, where will you be??

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics, Inc

11250 Forest Hills Rd

Machesney Park, IL 61115

Phone: 815-282-1513

Fax: 815-282-9847

www.astro-physics.com

Craig Smith

I am going to make base camp at The Devil's Tower and commute to totality for the eclipse.  Planning to be there about a week before the eclipse.  I didn't realize there was an astronomy event in Casper while I am there... I may have to work that into my itinerary!

Regards,
Craig Smith

---In ap-gto@..., <marj@...> wrote :

Hi all,

What an exciting event this will be from coast to coast!!!

We are going to be in Casper, WY for ASTROCON 2017 (Astronomical League Convention) August 16-19 preceding the eclipse on the 21st.

https://astrocon2017.astroleague.org/

Who is planning to be there????

If not, where will you be??

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics, Inc

11250 Forest Hills Rd

Machesney Park, IL 61115

Phone: 815-282-1513

Fax: 815-282-9847

www.astro-physics.com

Dale Hooper

I'm also going to ASTROCON 2017 and observing the eclipse from Casper - so I will finally get to meet the Astro-Physics team.  I booked my hotel room more than a year in advance and I was still initially on a waiting list.  This will definitely be a lot of fun.

This will be my first eclipse, so I'm just going to observe it.  But, from giving a few presentations about the eclipse I've found some apps & programs that could be helpful to others.  First is eclipsedroid, for android smartphones - it will give you an audible countdown for contact events.  The non-free version can also be used to control camera shutters.

If you feel compelled to image it, then Eclipse Orchestrator is a good program to consider.  There are a couple other programs to consider including one for the Mac, but I don't have the info with me here at work.

Clear skies,
Dale.

steven ho

Taking Amtrak to Denver Aug 18th and driving up and staying in Laramie WY. Too much moola for a motel in and around Casper. Maybe I can drop in on the astronomy convention if security isn't too tight [😉]

steve hoffman

________________________________
What an exciting event this will be from coast to coast!!!

We are going to be in Casper, WY for ASTROCON 2017 (Astronomical League Convention) August 16-19 preceding the eclipse on the 21st.
https://astrocon2017.astroleague.org/
astrocon2017.astroleague.org<https://astrocon2017.astroleague.org/>
astrocon2017.astroleague.org
Read more about Do not sign up for Awards Banquet, Star-B-Q or Fields trips unless you have already registered; Order your Astrocon 2017 / Total Solar Eclipse items now!!

Who is planning to be there????

If not, where will you be??

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen
Astro-Physics, Inc
11250 Forest Hills Rd
Machesney Park, IL 61115
Phone: 815-282-1513
Fax: 815-282-9847
www.astro-physics.com

Worsel

Casper's normal population is around 60,000.  The estimates are that it will double for the eclipse.  This may be an under-estimate.

Casper is on Interstate 25...the same Interstate that runs through Denver and the Front Range of Colorado. I reckon there are at least 2.5 million people within 4 hours drive of Casper (when driving is good).  Fortunately, there is a good stretch of I-25 that is within totality, so maybe those people will just pull over.

Craig, you are coming from the North and may not see much traffic!

Just sayin'...

P.S.  I am going to central Oregon.  As far as temporary population growth, it could be worse than Casper.  It's just that I have friends there on totality; so, insanely inflated hotel/campground prices and driving on the day are not an issue.

Bryan

---In ap-gto@..., <cgsathome@...> wrote :

I am going to make base camp at The Devil's Tower and commute to totality for the eclipse.  Planning to be there about a week before the eclipse.  I didn't realize there was an astronomy event in Casper while I am there... I may have to work that into my itinerary!

Regards,
Craig Smith

Joseph Gillman

I'm flying into Charleston Sunday.

Not sure I want to be in a big group and not sure a group would want my 2 little kids there either, who will be missing their afternoon naps and likely quite cranky.

Also I have to find the video on YouTube where this guy is SCREAMING "OMG OMGOMG!!! DIAMOND RING..... BAILEYS BEEEEEEEDDDZZZZZZ!!! AAAAAAAHHHHH"

I'd be fine with oohs and aahs nearby but this was that guy's umpteenth eclipse and being next to him, whomever he is, would ruin my first one to say the least.

I'm trying to figure out which ap scope I can take or have shipped to myself ahead of time, probably just doing the baader herschel wedge. With kids and diapers coming first, I might not get to use any scope either.

Frank S Barnes III

Hi Marj,

The eclipse passes almost directly over my observatory in South Carolina. I plan to have my
AP180 with my Coronado filters and Binoviewer setup to watch it. That's is if the clouds decide to
be somewhere else that day !! Hope everyone gets a great view of this celestial event no matter
where you are !!

6a. Great American Eclipse 2017
Posted by: "Marj" marj@astro-physics.com marjchristen
Date: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:51 am ((PDT))

Hi all,
What an exciting event this will be from coast to coast!!!

We are going to be in Casper, WY for ASTROCON 2017 (Astronomical League Convention) August 16-19 preceding the eclipse on the 21st.
https://astrocon2017.astroleague.org/

Who is planning to be there????

If not, where will you be??

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen
Astro-Physics, Inc
11250 Forest Hills Rd
Machesney Park, IL 61115
Phone: 815-282-1513
Fax: 815-282-9847
www.astro-physics.com

Clear Skies ......

Klaatu Barada Nikto ...

Frank S (Sandy) Barnes III
TwinOaks Observatory
http://www.skyimager.com
SBarnes@Skyimager.com

Chris,

I wonder if the national parks are prepared for the vast numbers of people that are likely to visit around eclipse time.

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics, Inc

11250 Forest Hills Rd

Machesney Park, IL 61115

Phone: 815-282-1513

Fax: 815-282-9847

www.astro-physics.com

What an exciting event this will be from coast to coast!!!

We are going to be in Casper, WY for ASTROCON 2017 (Astronomical League Convention) August 16-19 preceding the eclipse on the 21st.

https://astrocon2017.astroleague.org/

Who is planning to be there????

If not, where will you be??

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics, Inc

11250 Forest Hills Rd

Machesney Park, IL 61115

Phone: 815-282-1513

Fax: 815-282-9847

www.astro-physics.com

George

Frank and others,

Remember that you will not want an H-alpha filter on your scope when totality hits…and remember that swapping it out for a non-filtered view will take the duration of the eclipse.

What you need to do is use a side-by-side setup!   …and I happen to know a company that offers those accessories!   ;-)

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Phone:  815-282-1513

On 14 Apr 2017 17:19:00 -0000, ap-gto@... wrote:

>6a. Great American Eclipse 2017
> Posted by: "Marj" marj@... marjchristen
> Date: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:51 am ((PDT))
>
>Hi all,
>What an exciting event this will be from coast to coast!!!
>
>We are going to be in Casper, WY for ASTROCON 2017 (Astronomical League Convention) August 16-19 preceding the eclipse on the 21st.
>https://astrocon2017.astroleague.org/
>
>Who is planning to be there????
>
>If not, where will you be??
>
>Clear Skies,
>
>Marj Christen
>Astro-Physics, Inc
>11250 Forest Hills Rd
>Machesney Park, IL 61115
>Phone: 815-282-1513
>Fax: 815-282-9847
>www.astro-physics.com

Clear Skies ......

Klaatu Barada Nikto ...

Frank S (Sandy) Barnes III
TwinOaks Observatory
http://www.skyimager.com
SBarnes@...

Dale,

Great! Be sure to stop by to chat during the conference. The excitement level will be quite high as everyone anticipates eclipse day.

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics, Inc

11250 Forest Hills Rd

Machesney Park, IL 61115

Phone: 815-282-1513

Fax: 815-282-9847

www.astro-physics.com

[...]

Frank,

You are one lucky guy to have it track over your observatory!

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics, Inc

11250 Forest Hills Rd

Machesney Park, IL 61115

Phone: 815-282-1513

Fax: 815-282-9847

www.astro-physics.com

The eclipse passes almost directly over my observatory in South Carolina. I plan to have my
AP180 with my Coronado filters and Binoviewer setup to watch it. That's is if the clouds decide to
be somewhere else that day !! Hope everyone gets a great view of this celestial event no matter
where you are !!

On 14 Apr 2017 17:19:00 -0000, ap-gto@... wrote:

>6a. Great American Eclipse 2017
> Posted by: "Marj" marj@... marjchristen
> Date: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:51 am ((PDT))
>
>Hi all,
>What an exciting event this will be from coast to coast!!!
>
>We are going to be in Casper, WY for ASTROCON 2017 (Astronomical League Convention) August 16-19 preceding the eclipse on the 21st.
>https://astrocon2017.astroleague.org/
>
>Who is planning to be there????
>
>If not, where will you be??
>
>Clear Skies,