Shortening the height of G11 tripod

John Shutz

I have a 900GTO and came to realize it is too tall to safely mount my recently purchased 11" EdgeHD SCT.  To the middle of the saddle is around 54" and when the EdgeHD is fully loaded, it weighs in at around 42 lbs. I also have issues with a twice operated on left shoulder and knee (motorcycle accident), notwithstanding a broken back and pelvis too.  So I've decided to look at some possible solutions.

The set up doesn't have to be as tall as it is, with an 80mm guide scope on top of the SCT the thing is 7' tall.  I was wondering if anyone here has ever cut the tripod legs on their G11 tripod? I know to do so you would have to cut the inner adjustable sleeves as well, but it doesn't seem too complicated if I were to enlist the help of a machinist to do it right. 

The tripod stands at around 35.6" high, I can see chopping it down by 10"-12", that would put the saddle at a comfortable mounting height. I haven't really looked at the tubes or taken it apart, just throwing this out to see if anyone else has done this.  I know one drawback is the likely hood of devaluing the tripod, even if it's the older model non adjustable one.  As a comparison, my CEM60EC mount/tripod is about 44" to mid saddle and that is ideal.  

John 

Don Anderson

John
Have you considered an AP portable pier with a 32" or possibly a 24" pier?

Don Anderson

To: ap-gto@...
Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 11:30 PM
Subject: [ap-gto] Shortening the height of G11 tripod

I have a 900GTO and came to realize it is too tall to safely mount my recently purchased 11" EdgeHD SCT.  To the middle of the saddle is around 54" and when the EdgeHD is fully loaded, it weighs in at around 42 lbs. I also have issues with a twice operated on left shoulder and knee (motorcycle accident), notwithstanding a broken back and pelvis too.  So I've decided to look at some possible solutions.

The set up doesn't have to be as tall as it is, with an 80mm guide scope on top of the SCT the thing is 7' tall.  I was wondering if anyone here has ever cut the tripod legs on their G11 tripod? I know to do so you would have to cut the inner adjustable sleeves as well, but it doesn't seem too complicated if I were to enlist the help of a machinist to do it right. 

The tripod stands at around 35.6" high, I can see chopping it down by 10"-12", that would put the saddle at a comfortable mounting height. I haven't really looked at the tubes or taken it apart, just throwing this out to see if anyone else has done this.  I know one drawback is the likely hood of devaluing the tripod, even if it's the older model non adjustable one.  As a comparison, my CEM60EC mount/tripod is about 44" to mid saddle and that is ideal.  

John 

John Shutz

Don, yes, the height is right, but leveling on uneven ground will be an issue, especially with the way my backyard slopes towards the middle where the drains are. Also, I wanted something to handle uneven ground I might find at a dark sky location.

Thanks

From: ap-gto@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ap-gto@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 10:46 PM
To: ap-gto@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Shortening the height of G11 tripod

John

Don Anderson

_____

From: "jshutz@lincolnxing.org [ap-gto]" <ap-gto@yahoogroups.com>

I have a 900GTO and came to realize it is too tall to safely mount my recently purchased 11" EdgeHD SCT. To the middle of the saddle is around 54" and when the EdgeHD is fully loaded, it weighs in at around 42 lbs. I also have issues with a twice operated on left shoulder and knee (motorcycle accident), notwithstanding a broken back and pelvis too. So I've decided to look at some possible solutions.

The set up doesn't have to be as tall as it is, with an 80mm guide scope on top of the SCT the thing is 7' tall. I was wondering if anyone here has ever cut the tripod legs on their G11 tripod? I know to do so you would have to cut the inner adjustable sleeves as well, but it doesn't seem too complicated if I were to enlist the help of a machinist to do it right.

The tripod stands at around 35.6" high, I can see chopping it down by 10"-12", that would put the saddle at a comfortable mounting height. I haven't really looked at the tubes or taken it apart, just throwing this out to see if anyone else has done this. I know one drawback is the likely hood of devaluing the tripod, even if it's the older model non adjustable one. As a comparison, my CEM60EC mount/tripod is about 44" to mid saddle and that is ideal.

John

Dean S

Remember that the overall foot print will be smaller as well so might possibly affect stability.

Otherwise no reason it could not be done if you have the tools.

Dean

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2017 3:18 AM
Subject: RE: [ap-gto] Shortening the height of G11 tripod

Don, yes, the height is right, but leveling on uneven ground will be an issue, especially with the way my backyard slopes towards the middle where the drains are. Also, I wanted something to handle uneven ground I might find at a dark sky location.

Thanks

From: ap-gto@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ap-gto@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 10:46 PM

John

Don Anderson

_____

From: "jshutz@lincolnxing.org [ap-gto]" <ap-gto@yahoogroups.com>

I have a 900GTO and came to realize it is too tall to safely mount my recently purchased 11" EdgeHD SCT. To the middle of the saddle is around 54" and when the EdgeHD is fully loaded, it weighs in at around 42 lbs. I also have issues with a twice operated on left shoulder and knee (motorcycle accident), notwithstanding a broken back and pelvis too. So I've decided to look at some possible solutions.

The set up doesn't have to be as tall as it is, with an 80mm guide scope on top of the SCT the thing is 7' tall. I was wondering if anyone here has ever cut the tripod legs on their G11 tripod? I know to do so you would have to cut the inner adjustable sleeves as well, but it doesn't seem too complicated if I were to enlist the help of a machinist to do it right.

The tripod stands at around 35.6" high, I can see chopping it down by 10"-12", that would put the saddle at a comfortable mounting height. I haven't really looked at the tubes or taken it apart, just throwing this out to see if anyone else has done this. I know one drawback is the likely hood of devaluing the tripod, even if it's the older model non adjustable one. As a comparison, my CEM60EC mount/tripod is about 44" to mid saddle and that is ideal.

John

------------------------------------
Posted by: "John Shutz" <jshutz@lincolnxing.org>

To UNSUBSCRIBE, or for general information on the ap-gto list
see http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ap-gto

Yahoo Groups Links

Christopher Erickson

GM-8 tripods are shorter than G-11 tripods and will take the same LT2APM adapter.

Depending on the vintage of the GM-8 tripod there are various things that can be done to really stiffen them up for big loads.

Christopher Erickson
Consulting Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 7:30 PM

John 

John Shutz

I must be doing something wrong here, why is it each message or response is repeated constantly?

Anyway, Dean and Chris gave me some food for thought so I'll take a look at the measurements and go from there.  At this point I'm not as committed to this idea, so I'll look into other options.  Thank you.

John  

fl.lusen

John,

I had a similar delemma with my setup.  When I got my AP1100 my setup wound up being to high.  My setup includes a TEC-140, a 60 or 70mm guide scope on top plus the usual accumulation of accessories.  What I did was acquire a Meade field tripod, not the Giant one.  Measurement to the top of the tripod with feet retracted is 30.750".  With the interface I made, measurement from the top of the tripod to the top of the AP adapter for the 1100 is an additional 2.750".  So total is 33.500".  Once everything is mounted I am at a comfortable height.  No more step stools.

You should be able to pick up an older Mead field tripod for somewhere around $100.00.

Fred

To: ap-gto
Sent: Sun, Apr 2, 2017 4:41 am

I must be doing something wrong here, why is it each message or response is repeated constantly?

Anyway, Dean and Chris gave me some food for thought so I'll take a look at the measurements and go from there.  At this point I'm not as committed to this idea, so I'll look into other options.  Thank you.

John 

John Shutz

Even if I had a 31" tall tripod, I would only realize 3" off the total height, which would be then around 50". No problem either way setting up my 106 refractor, it's the big 11"EdgeHD with the ST80 guide scope on top that presents the problem.  I thought about this later and came to the conclusion why proceed solely because of the EdgeHD when I know I'll rarely use it compared to the 106.  For one reason or another, mostly weather, I don't have as many clear and moonless nights as I expected and when I do, my first interest is deep sky imaging.  I bought the EdgeHD thinking I'll dabble with planetary imaging, but soon realized I got way ahead of myself when I've got a long way to go learning deep sky imaging and processing.  

For me, imaging time is a premium and collecting data helps the overall learning process, buying the EdgeHD was more emotion than logic from a timing standpoint.  Thanks for the input anyway, appreciate the information.

John   

fl.lusen

John,

Another option would be to look for a pier like the old Mountain Instruments MI-8P.  The pier is 30" high and is 8" diameter 1/8" wall thickness steel.  You could then have it cut down to a height that is acceptable to you.  I am in the process of doing that myself.

Fred

Sent: Sun, Apr 2, 2017 4:25 pm

Even if I had a 31" tall tripod, I would only realize 3" off the total height, which would be then around 50". No problem either way setting up my 106 refractor, it's the big 11"EdgeHD with the ST80 guide scope on top that presents the problem.  I thought about this later and came to the conclusion why proceed solely because of the EdgeHD when I know I'll rarely use it compared to the 106.  For one reason or another, mostly weather, I don't have as many clear and moonless nights as I expected and when I do, my first interest is deep sky imaging.  I bought the EdgeHD thinking I'll dabble with planetary imaging, but soon realized I got way ahead of myself when I've got a long way to go learning deep sky imaging and processing.  

For me, imaging time is a premium and collecting data helps the overall learning process, buying the EdgeHD was more emotion than logic from a timing standpoint.  Thanks for the input anyway, appreciate the information.

John   

Dean S

Also look at the parallax piers.  Have decent amount of adjustments for level.  Can order any height. 

Dean

On Apr 2, 2017, at 11:10 PM, Fred Lusen fl.lusen@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

John,

Another option would be to look for a pier like the old Mountain Instruments MI-8P.  The pier is 30" high and is 8" diameter 1/8" wall thickness steel.  You could then have it cut down to a height that is acceptable to you.  I am in the process of doing that myself.

Fred

To: ap-gto <ap-gto@...>
Sent: Sun, Apr 2, 2017 4:25 pm

John   

John A. Sillasen

How do you guys get away with a 30" Pier?  Both my Eagle Pier and my ATS Portable Pier are 48".  I just can't see or physically do getting down on my hands and knees to view the EP at or near the zenith.  Granted the 48" tall ATS is very tall considering the height of the 1100 GTO.  I find myself spreading the legs more on the ATS than on the Eagle to comfortably lift the head up to the piers base.

John A. Sillasen

Christopher Erickson

You put a Newt on top of it.

Christopher Erickson
Consulting Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

Sent: Monday, April 03, 2017 5:12 PM
Subject: [ap-gto] Re: Shortening the height of G11 tripod

How do you guys get away with a 30" Pier? 

John A. Sillasen

Dean S

Imaging vs Visual

Sent: Monday, April 03, 2017 11:11 PM

How do you guys get away with a 30" Pier? Both my Eagle Pier and my ATS Portable Pier are 48". I just can't see or physically do getting down on my hands and knees to view the EP at or near the zenith. Granted the 48" tall ATS is very tall considering the height of the 1100 GTO. I find myself spreading the legs more on the ATS than on the Eagle to comfortably lift the head up to the piers base.

John A. Sillasen

Roland Christen

Shorten the setup when you are imaging. Shorter = more stability.

Rolando

From: 'John A. Sillasen' JASillasen@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...>
Sent: Mon, Apr 3, 2017 10:12 pm

How do you guys get away with a 30" Pier?  Both my Eagle Pier and my ATS Portable Pier are 48".  I just can't see or physically do getting down on my hands and knees to view the EP at or near the zenith.  Granted the 48" tall ATS is very tall considering the height of the 1100 GTO.  I find myself spreading the legs more on the ATS than on the Eagle to comfortably lift the head up to the piers base.

John A. Sillasen