Not again!

Suresh Mohan

My HC is stuck at version 4.9 13 , it's happened for the 5 th or 6 th time . I have to re install from step 1 nothing else works , any one got better ideas ?
Suresh

Joe Zeglinski

Hi Suresh,

    I assume you have also downloaded the HC update file, more than once, just to be sure it is good. Check the “pin-spread” inside the 12 vdc  CPx power  socket – another possible source of power drop outs.

    Try doing the HC update on a different PC – and thus perhaps a more stable serial port, preferably one with a native PC port rather than a Serial/USB adapter. Use a different serial cable, and screw down the DB-9 plug to the panel, in case it is wobbling during the process. Place the HC on the floor or table and just press the buttons – in case picking it up during the process interrupts the rather long operation.

It is easy to completely  remove the CP controller and take it with the HC to another PC.
Perhaps you just need to exercise more caution with the HC, until it succeeds.

Good luck,
Joe

Suresh Mohan

Hi Joe ,
   It's been 3 months since it ran into problems , like all Americans the hc can't take the indian heat !!! Ever since it conked out last time after being kept on the terrace , I bring it indoors during the day . Anyway today I saw it go blank , so I removed and plugged it back to the mother board and it just lit up saying astrophysics version so and so . Tommorow I will do it
Thanks buddy
Suresh

On 21-Feb-2017, at 11:05 PM, 'Joseph Zeglinski' J.Zeglinski@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

[...]

Don Anderson

Suresh
It looks like the heat and humidity where you live is corroding the electrical contacts in your HC internal cable plug. I would suggest you get some electrical contact grease and put that on the contacts and plug after you clean the contacts thoroughly and before reinstalling the cable plug. That may help prevent the corrosion.

Don Anderson

[...]

Howard Hedlund

Sorry I didn’t catch this ‘til now.  Don may be on the right track.  I don’t think it’s the heat.  The keypad is an industrial device and is quite heat tolerant.  It is, however, rather sensitive to moisture.  I learned this trick from someone – can’t remember who – but it’s worth a try.  Make a small bag our of cheesecloth, gauze, an old nylon stocking or something similarly porous.  Fill it with dry rice and close it.   Place the rice bag and the keypad in an airtight container overnight, or even for several days.  Try it again.   Plain old rice makes a great desiccant.

Mag. 7 Skies!

Howard Hedlund

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Phone: 815-282-1513

www.astro-physics.com

P Consider the environment before printing this e-mail.

[...]

Haha Howard ,
   My great grandmother has told me that ! No problem will do
Suresh

[...]

Then cook the rice afterwards!

Don Anderson

[...]

And as usual the hc is playing the Russian roulette , I must plug and unplug at least ten times for the beep sound to come and update .
Suresh

On 22-Feb-2017, at 10:36 AM, Suresh Mohan Neelmegh <drsureshmohan@...> wrote:

[...]

Hopefully all goes well.

Don Anderson

[...]

Christopher Erickson

Can you see any corrosion in the connectors?

Christopher Erickson
Consulting Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

It looks like the heat and humidity where you live is corroding the electrical contacts in your HC internal cable plug. I would suggest you get some electrical contact grease and put that on the contacts and plug after you clean the contacts thoroughly and before reinstalling the cable plug. That may help prevent the corrosion.

Don Anderson

   It's been 3 months since it ran into problems , like all Americans the hc can't take the indian heat !!! Ever since it conked out last time after being kept on the terrace , I bring it indoors during the day . Anyway today I saw it go blank , so I removed and plugged it back to the mother board and it just lit up saying astrophysics version so and so . Tommorow I will do it
Thanks buddy
Suresh

Sent from my iPhone

[...]

Morning attempts was a flop ; it will work only In my older laptop with a USB 2 , I know it sounds funny but that's how I managed so far
Thanks
Suresh

On 22-Feb-2017, at 12:28 PM, Don Anderson jockey_ca@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Hopefully all goes well.

Don Anderson

[...]

Nothing Christopher no corrosion at all , from day one update had hiccups , I have straight Thro cable , have ssd laptop and two old laptops , after several attempts it will upload via old laptop
Suresh

[...]

Nothing worked today , so I'm on the terrace doing a pempro run . I'm going to try to re install 4 193 tommorow . It's high time I become independent of the HC
Suresh