Cable and Systems Management

Wayne Hixson

With the rapid growth of computer-aided astronomy - multi-camera Imaging, USB hubs, mount controllers, guiding, focusing, anti-dew systems, modeling and pointing etc - the complexity of managing all the systems and connections to what is a moving system has also grown. The thru-the-mount design of the new AP mounts was a great improvement and its's really helped with my 1100. However it is still difficult to Quickly reconfigure your system and I have started to see clever folks address this by moving more of their electronics like signal and power hubs "above the mount" I'd call it. 

Along these lines, I was thinking of adding a plate on top of the telescope rings and mounting my Rigrunner, USB hub, and Dew controller on the plate. Then I would run only one power line and one USB cable thru the mount to the Rigrunner and USB hub respectively. From there I'd run short connections to the hardware. 

I'd like others thoughts on this, especially from those who have tried something like this, and how it's worked out? Pictures of your Systems would be welcome!

Thanks!

Wayne

Craig Anderson

Wayne, 

I've done what you describe and it works really well. I have a second Losmandy dovetail plate installed on top of my scope rings. On that plate I've attached a USB hub, RigRunner, and Robofocus controller with heavy duty Velcro backed by zip ties. I run all the power and USB cables from there to my camera, guider, focuser, and FlipFlat. Works great and really cleans up the cable routing. My guiding also improved with just two cables hanging from the OTA down to the power supply and computer. 

-Craig

On Jan 18, 2017, at 10:47 PM, wayneh9026@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

With the rapid growth of computer-aided astronomy - multi-camera Imaging, USB hubs, mount controllers, guiding, focusing, anti-dew systems, modeling and pointing etc - the complexity of managing all the systems and connections to what is a moving system has also grown. The thru-the-mount design of the new AP mounts was a great improvement and its's really helped with my 1100. However it is still difficult to Quickly reconfigure your system and I have started to see clever folks address this by moving more of their electronics like signal and power hubs "above the mount" I'd call it. 

Along these lines, I was thinking of adding a plate on top of the telescope rings and mounting my Rigrunner, USB hub, and Dew controller on the plate. Then I would run only one power line and one USB cable thru the mount to the Rigrunner and USB hub respectively. From there I'd run short connections to the hardware. 

I'd like others thoughts on this, especially from those who have tried something like this, and how it's worked out? Pictures of your Systems would be welcome!

Thanks!

Wayne

Suresh Mohan

Craig pls send us a photo of your setup
Suresh

On 19-Jan-2017, at 5:39 PM, Craig craig@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Wayne, 

I've done what you describe and it works really well. I have a second Losmandy dovetail plate installed on top of my scope rings. On that plate I've attached a USB hub, RigRunner, and Robofocus controller with heavy duty Velcro backed by zip ties. I run all the power and USB cables from there to my camera, guider, focuser, and FlipFlat. Works great and really cleans up the cable routing. My guiding also improved with just two cables hanging from the OTA down to the power supply and computer. 

-Craig

Thanks!

Wayne

Craig Anderson

Here's the setup. Much of the space on my upper plate holes a rail for my FlipFlat. But this should give you an idea of how it's put together.

-Craig

On Jan 19, 2017, at 7:09 AM, Craig craig@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Wayne, 

-Craig

Thanks!

Wayne

Worsel

Craig

Yahoo strips images from postings.  The image will need to go either in the Photos section or in a third party image site.

Thanks for the info!!

Bryan

---In ap-gto@..., <craig@...> wrote :

Here's the setup. Much of the space on my upper plate holes a rail for my FlipFlat. But this should give you an idea of how it's put together.

-Craig

Steve Reilly

Not sure why you didn’t get it but it came through on my system just fine with Google Chrome.

Steve

Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2017 9:41 AM
To: ap-gto@...
Subject: [ap-gto] Re: Cable and Systems Management

Craig

Yahoo strips images from postings.  The image will need to go either in the Photos section or in a third party image site.

Thanks for the info!!

Bryan

-Craig

Suresh Mohan

Craig , that looks beautiful
Suresh 

On 19-Jan-2017, at 8:15 PM, 'Steven Reilly' sreilly24590@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Not sure why you didn’t get it but it came through on my system just fine with Google Chrome.

Steve

Craig

Thanks for the info!!

Bryan

-Craig

Wayne Hixson

Craig, thanks a lot. Exactly the kind of arrangement I was thinking about. What is the bar you used to attach the Flip Flat with?

On Jan 19, 2017, at 6:59 AM, Suresh Mohan Neelmegh drsureshmohan@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Suresh 

On 19-Jan-2017, at 8:15 PM, 'Steven Reilly' sreilly24590@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Steve

Craig

Thanks for the info!!

Bryan

-Craig

Craig Anderson

Sorry, I'll post a before and after tonight!

-Craig

On Jan 19, 2017, at 9:45 AM, 'Steven Reilly' sreilly24590@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Steve

Craig

Thanks for the info!!

Bryan

-Craig

Wayne Hixson

Thanks Craig, if you could please post a couple different views of your setup, that would be great!

On Jan 19, 2017, at 7:07 AM, Wayne wayneh9026@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Craig, thanks a lot. Exactly the kind of arrangement I was thinking about. What is the bar you used to attach the Flip Flat with?

On Jan 19, 2017, at 6:59 AM, Suresh Mohan Neelmegh drsureshmohan@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Suresh 

Steve

Craig

Thanks for the info!!

Bryan

-Craig

eja24601

Here's my setup: it's a piece of sheet metal that I bought from a hardware store and had a machinist drill holes in at regular intervals:

Yahoo! Groups

Hope the link works. No AP equipment in the mix (well, the pier in the corner is for an AP1200, and there was an AP1200 in that obs), but the plate and the DA's can transfer to one. ;)

The plate has a power strip, USB hub, camera power brick and other doodads Velcro'd/zip-tied to it. The plate is mounted on the scope's Losmandy rail with a couple of DA clamps.

HTH,
Eric

Joseph Bianco

Wayne,

I have added some pictures in the J Bianco folder in the Files section of my imaging setup.

Telescope Setup 1, all the components (AP mount, Feather Touch Digital Focuser, SSAG, STF-8300M) go to a 4-port USB hub. All the power is supplied by a Rigrunner.

Telescope Setup 4, shows the cable assembly which connects power to the Rigrunner, serial cable to the MACH1 GTO, USB connector to hub, RJ11 cable to SSAG.  The other end of the cable assembly has the power input cable and the USB connector to the laptop.

I have also included the last image taken with this setup.

Joseph Bianco

Barry Megdal

What you describe is a good solution, and exactly what I have done in my observatory.  I would however suggest running a separate power cable for the dew controller, as they can introduce noise that you don’t want being seen by your camera(s).

A photo of my setup is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ei2t2b6hdshqaaz/Electronics.jpg?dl=0

The USB hub is a BB Electronics industrial hub that is rated for low temperature operation.

-          Barry

Dr. Barry Megdal

President

Shb Instruments, Inc.

19215 Parthenia St., Suite A

Northridge, CA 91324

www.shbinstruments.com

(818) 773-2000 (818) 773-2005 fax

bmegdal@...

Faculty

Dept. of Electrical Engineering

California Institute of Technology

Pasadena, CA

bmegdal@... (use either email)

John Thompson <jbtgolfer@...>

Barry....

Would you provide the manufacturer and model of your hub?  I want to upgrade my Icron hub to an industrial hub. It would help to know what is already working.

On Jan 19, 2017, at 1:14 PM, 'Barry Megdal' bmegdal@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

What you describe is a good solution, and exactly what I have done in my observatory.  I would however suggest running a separate power cable for the dew controller, as they can introduce noise that you don’t want being seen by your camera(s).

A photo of my setup is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ei2t2b6hdshqaaz/Electronics.jpg?dl=0

The USB hub is a BB Electronics industrial hub that is rated for low temperature operation.

-          Barry

Dr. Barry Megdal

President

Shb Instruments, Inc.

Northridge, CA 91324

www.shbinstruments.com

bmegdal@...

Faculty

Pasadena, CA

David

Ive tried the same thing as well with a top plate, Powerpole box and USB hub from Startech.  It seems to work well, but is a much larger setup than should be necessary.  I’m still surprised, with tech advancing as fast as it has, that no one has come up with a great solution for a small, compact setup for power and data connections like the Blue Astro Hub that was in the works before Per passed away this past summer.  That was the most compact setup I’ve seen yet for remotely controlled power and USB connections, but its currently unavailable.  I am longing for a solution like this in one SMALL device or saddle.  Rig runners work great but are three times larger than they need to be for astro work and power requirements.  -sigh-

David

On Jan 19, 2017, at 7:45 PM, John Thompson jbtgolfer@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Barry....

Would you provide the manufacturer and model of your hub?  I want to upgrade my Icron hub to an industrial hub. It would help to know what is already working.

On Jan 19, 2017, at 1:14 PM, 'Barry Megdal' bmegdal@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

A photo of my setup is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ei2t2b6hdshqaaz/Electronics.jpg?dl=0

-          Barry

Dr. Barry Megdal

President

Shb Instruments, Inc.

Northridge, CA 91324

www.shbinstruments.com

bmegdal@...

Faculty

Pasadena, CA

bmegdal@... (use either email)

Joe Zeglinski

David,

Have a look at the KENDRICK all-in-one power boxes. However, it doesn’t have “remote controlled” power option yet.
I think it is an interesting integration of PowerPole box and USB, and cigarette lighter plugs. Even has an option for one of the sockets to be an AP mount 15 vdc power. Don’t know if it is bulkier than the “Blue Astro Hub” intended product – you decide.

HTH
Joe

Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2017 11:59 PM
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Cable and Systems Management

Ive tried the same thing as well with a top plate, Powerpole box and USB hub from Startech.  It seems to work well, but is a much larger setup than should be necessary.  I’m still surprised, with tech advancing as fast as it has, that no one has come up with a great solution for a small, compact setup for power and data connections like the Blue Astro Hub that was in the works before Per passed away this past summer.  That was the most compact setup I’ve seen yet for remotely controlled power and USB connections, but its currently unavailable.  I am longing for a solution like this in one SMALL device or saddle.  Rig runners work great but are three times larger than they need to be for astro work and power requirements.  -sigh-

David

Barry Megdal

It is the UHR207 from http://www.bb-elec.com/Products/USB-Connectivity/USB-2-0-Hubs/Industrial-Grade-USB-Hubs.aspx

It has very nice high retention-force USB connectors as well, making it less likely a cable will come out unexpectedly.

-          Barry

Dr. Barry Megdal

President

Shb Instruments, Inc.

Northridge, CA 91324

www.shbinstruments.com

bmegdal@...

Faculty

Pasadena, CA

Don Anderson

Barry
Does the UHR207 allow USB power from the computer to pass through to the devices?

Don Anderson

Sent: Friday, January 20, 2017 10:54 AM

It has very nice high retention-force USB connectors as well, making it less likely a cable will come out unexpectedly.

-          Barry

Dr. Barry Megdal

President
Shb Instruments, Inc.
Northridge, CA 91324

Faculty
Pasadena, CA

Barry Megdal

It is a powered hub, so it provides its own power to the USB devices.

- Barry

Don Anderson

I understand that but does the B&B hub pass the PC power through to the devices even if the hub power is not connected? 

Don Anderson

Sent: Friday, January 20, 2017 5:49 PM
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Re: Cable and Systems Management

It is a powered hub, so it provides its own power to the USB devices.

- Barry