AP1600GTO No Guiding

raypalmer77

G'day

I was looking at the sun yesterday and we had a power cut for a few minutes. When power was restored everything seemed fine, my mount still slewed via the sky, tracking speed still works no problem, moving or nudging the mount via the skyx still works as well. When I went to guide last night via maxim dl it is as though the mount stops guiding and the star drifts.

I tested the GPUSB to make sure it is working, it is. I can move the telescope with the GPUSB module using GPUSB test software. The GPUSB has a cable that runs to the autoguider port on the mount.

Recapping, mount slews, tracks and can be nudged either via the skyx or via GPUSB software via the autoguiding port. When I hit guide in Maxim the star starts to drift. I've restarted everything, recalibrated in MaximDL, etc.

Is there a setting on the controller or in the software somewhere that can disable autoguiding input? Even if there was it is a long shot because manual commands through the GPUSB module still work. Maybe it is Maxim. Either way, if anyone can chime in I'd really appreciate it.

Ray

P.S I can't get enough of AP mounts, "I'm really happy" would be an understatement.

Timo Inkinen

Hi Ray,

>>Is there a setting on the controller or in the software somewhere that can disable autoguiding input? Even if there was it is a long shot because manual commands through the GPUSB module still work. Maybe it is Maxim.

It might be a good idea to check out MaxIm's guide camera setup screens.
Look through all settings from the Camera Control window.
I've made a quick image from my desktop PC's MaxIm DL screens here:
Temp: MaxIm_guide_camera
There is no devices connected in that image, but check out your screen from your imaging computer's MaxIm setup:
1.) Guide camera shows up in setup devices (setup tab shows valid data).
2.) Guide camera settings are seen via the Guide tab (Settings button).
3.) In these guide camera settings check that Guider enables X/Y axis.
4.) Check out Autoguider output too. Make sure your guide setup is done properly there (I use SX Lodestar and guide cable goes directly there into Lodestar's guide connector -> my system uses Guider relays. (Maybe yours should use GPUSB?)

That image shows pretty much everything in MaxIm DL's internal guide setup, so I hope that helps out. (I've never used GPUSB here.)

Br, Timo

raypalmer77

Hi Timo,

So you are saying that there are no setting on the mount that can turn off autoguiding settings? If so that is good because that will narrow it down to Maxim.

I've done a recalibrate, used default settings, setting the correct output (GPUSB).

The guide camera settings are all perfect as well. I get the guidestar, I can send commands to the mount manually, when I hit guide the guide star drifts more than when just in RA. I'll keep fiddling.

Thanks mate

Ray

raypalmer77

Also it is worth mentioning for good measure. The guide camera works. The guide setting move the telescope with the GPUSB. How do I know this? On the Maxim DL guide tab in the camera control window, there is a move button. When I hit that button, it opens up a window with arrow keys. I can hit those keys and the mount will move.

The problem I am experiencing is when I hit the guide button the guide star just starts moving in RA until it is off the screen. It is like sidereal rate is being stopped. I'm using the same settings I've been using all the time which are the default settings, I've played around with some just experimenting but it still does it.

If I leave a star on the screen using camera one with 1 second exposure in sidereal mode with no tracking she'll stay centered all night, it is only when I hit guide that the guidestar travels off screen.

When I calibrate I always get the message that the star didn't move more than 5 pixels in X, but it has always said this (even when I've changed to settings).

I've changed the guide speed on the mount hand controller as well but that has no effect.

This all started when we had a power cut on Sunday. Prior to that she guided perfectly.

Any theories welcome.

Ray

Stuart

Did the reverse x checkbox get unchecked? Or vice versa. Maybe it thinks it is on tho other side of the meridian from where the calibration was really done.

Stuart

On Wednesday, 26 October 2016, raypalmer@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

[...]

Roland Christen

when I hit guide the guide star drifts more than when just in RA. I'll keep fiddling.

You may have Pier Flip turned on in Maxim, which will send the opposite error signal to the mount and will slowly drive the guide star off the chip.

[...]

You probably have the "Pier Flip" checked which will drive the star off the guide box if you are on the wrong side of the mount.

[...]

Thanks guys. I went to Camera Control Window > Guide Tab > Settings > Advanced > Guider Motor Control.

It was set at "do not change", I've changed it to reverse both x and y and it is guiding. It is still doing very minor drift in RA but I imagine that is a calibration setting somewhere. However I don't ever remember changing this setting in the first place since getting my AP1600GTO I've always used default settings. Any further feedback on that welcome. I haven't experimented with the Pier Flip checkbox on the Guide Tab (but I will test that tomorrow and report back what I find).

I owe you guys a beer sometime if you are ever down this way (West Australia).

I run a forum called MASA www.MyAstroSpace.com You guys would be very welcome there.

Anyway, thanks again , I really appreciate the help.

Ray

P.S If you make changes to the guide settings during guiding do they take effect?

Don Anderson

If you are using an ST4 cable could it be bad; bent pin?

Don Anderson

[...]

Hi Don,

I can move the scope via the move command buttons in the guide window on Maxim DL, so cable is fine. I got some help from the lads above though, it was settings inside the Camera Control Window > Guide Tab > Settings > Advanced > Guider Motor Control settings.

It is still lagging a bit but but it is back guiding. I just need to tweak it a little I imagine. Thanks for your help Don.

Ray

Don Anderson

Glad you got it working.
Don