Star is not on CCD chip after unparking AP1200 in Sky X

vergolder

Hi to all!

since i have changed from Sky 6 to Sky X i have some troubles when i unpark the mount and send it to a star for star sync.

I unpark from Parkpositon 1, this is the only position i can use in my observatory.

I send the mont to a star in the East via Sky X, after the mount stops, i take a photo to check if the star is visible on the CCD chip....but it is not visilble.

I always have to correct the position of the star in RA.

I checked all Settings for the mount, they are correct and also the Settings in Sky X are correct.

I also checked the Polar Alignment, also correct.

I use the latest version of the Ascom Astro Physics V2 Driver, version 5.09.01.

Any ideas????

Thanks and greetings from Austria/Europe,

Wolfgang

Stuart

Wolfgang, my immediate question would be: How much do you have to move the scope? If exactly 15 degrees then I would vote that your DST setting is incorrect or you have the wrong timezone offset.

Stuart

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 5:31 PM, vergoldermeister@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Hi to all!

since i have changed from Sky 6 to Sky X i have some troubles when i unpark the mount and send it to a star for star sync.

I unpark from Parkpositon 1, this is the only position i can use in my observatory.

I send the mont to a star in the East via Sky X, after the mount stops, i take a photo to check if the star is visible on the CCD chip....but it is not visilble.

I always have to correct the position of the star in RA.

I checked all Settings for the mount, they are correct and also the Settings in Sky X are correct.

I also checked the Polar Alignment, also correct.

I use the latest version of the Ascom Astro Physics V2 Driver, version 5.09.01.

Any ideas????

Thanks and greetings from Austria/Europe,

Wolfgang

Craig Young

This doesn't solve the pointing issue but what I do when I unpark my scope is slew to any spot in the sky and do an ImageLink (a single exposure @ 20seconds) then a Star Sync.  You don't have to point the scope at any particular star or adjust the scope when you get there .. simply slew, ImageLink and Star Sync.  After that the pointing accuracy will then depend on the polar alignment and other mechanical issues.  In my case, after I do my first Star Sync which can be a few arc minutes off center, pointing is now within a few arc seconds the rest of the night.  And, because this process is so easy and simple you can repeat it as often as you want.

Roland Christen

Next time you un-park the mount, DO NOT use "Resume from Park Position1". Instead, simply Resume from Present Position. If you cannot do that and you will use the "Resume from Park 1", then you must change slightly the method that you use for parking the mount, as shown below:

When you park the mount, wait until the mount gets to Park1. Then send it again to Park1. The reason for this is that sometimes the mount will get to the RA Park1 position before the Dec axis gets to the DEC Park1 position. While the Dec axis is still slewing, the RA axis is still moving at the sidereal rate, so when Dec finally stops moving, the RA has gone slightly beyond Park1. By doing a double park command, the second command brings the RA back to the exact Park1 position and then you can Resume from Park1.

Roland Christen
aka Rolando

since i have changed from Sky 6 to Sky X i have some troubles when i unpark the mount and send it to a star for star sync.
I unpark from Parkpositon 1, this is the only position i can use in my observatory.

I send the mont to a star in the East via Sky X, after the mount stops, i take a photo to check if the star is visible on the CCD chip....but it is not visilble.
I always have to correct the position of the star in RA.
I checked all Settings for the mount, they are correct and also the Settings in Sky X are correct.
I also checked the Polar Alignment, also correct.

I use the latest version of the Ascom Astro Physics V2 Driver, version 5.09.01.

Any ideas????

Thanks and greetings from Austria/Europe,

Wolfgang

Greg Salyer <email@...>

I always wonderred why APCC does a double park. Now I know. Thanks Roland.

Greg

[...]

Joe Zeglinski

Rolando,

    That “double-Park” trick is good to know. Couldn’t the APCC Park command do that anyway? Seems like a good procedure for all cases. Then again, after you just mentioned it, I was thinking that APCC was already doing something like that, when it pops up the message “Settling” after it has reached Park the first time. It does seem and indeed sound  like it is “re-Parking” itself every time.

Joe

vergolder

Hi all!

Many thanks for your helpful answers!!!

I will check everything tonight when i am up in my observatory.

Last night i checked the DST, it is 1 for summer. So this was correct.

I let you know....

Regards,

Wolfgang

Howard Hedlund

APCC has done the “double park” from the start.

Mag. 7 Skies!

Howard Hedlund

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Phone: 815-282-1513

www.astro-physics.com

P Consider the environment before printing this e-mail.

    That “double-Park” trick is good to know. Couldn’t the APCC Park command do that anyway? Seems like a good procedure for all cases. Then again, after you just mentioned it, I was thinking that APCC was already doing something like that, when it pops up the message “Settling” after it has reached Park the first time. It does seem and indeed sound  like it is “re-Parking” itself every time.

Joe

topboxman

Is the "double park" mentioned in any A-P manuals? For portable setup like mine, it's probably not necessary, correct?

Peter

---In ap-gto@..., <howard@...> wrote :

APCC has done the “double park” from the start.

Mag. 7 Skies!

Howard Hedlund

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Phone: 815-282-1513

www.astro-physics.com

P Consider the environment before printing this e-mail.

    That “double-Park” trick is good to know. Couldn’t the APCC Park command do that anyway? Seems like a good procedure for all cases. Then again, after you just mentioned it, I was thinking that APCC was already doing something like that, when it pops up the message “Settling” after it has reached Park the first time. It does seem and indeed sound  like it is “re-Parking” itself every time.

Joe

Roland Christen

It's not necessary for anyone if you simply Resume from Present Position. Present Position can be anywhere, even from slightly off Park1. If you are "slightly off" from Park1 but insist on Resuming from Park1, then you will be slightly off on your next slew.