From: <ap-gto@...> on behalf of "danford5@... [ap-gto]" <ap-gto@...>
Date: Wednesday, March 23, 2016 at 6:59 PM
To: <ap-gto@...>
Subject: [ap-gto] AP 1200 GTOCP3 and Pulseguide

First post here. I've recently acquired a 2006 AP1200 CP3 and am currently familiarizing myself with its operation. Some of the documentation I've read discusses the Pulseguide stand-alone software requiring an additional serial connection to the mount. Is this stand-alone software still used or has it been built into the latest AP driver? Reason for asking, I'm currently using SkyX and see in the Ascom / autoguider settings "pulseguide" as a selection for guiding. If the software is still in use, what are the advantages to using it vs. not?

Thanks,

Dan

Thanks Scott.
Dan

Ray Gralak

Hi Dan,

Sorry I missed this post earlier. The new AP V2 ASCOM driver has most of the features of PulseGuide. The only thing missing is Pulseguide's feature to "learn" of tracking rate of a target like a comet, asteroid, or moon/sun, so except for those niche applications you should use the driver. PulseGuide might also be used a quick tool to park/unpark/slew the mount if you don't have or want to run an ASCOM application.

-Ray Gralak

First post here. I've recently acquired a 2006 AP1200 CP3 and am currently
familiarizing myself with its operation. Some of the documentation I've read
discusses the Pulseguide stand-alone software requiring an additional serial
connection to the mount. Is this stand-alone software still used or has it been built
into the latest AP driver? Reason for asking, I'm currently using SkyX and see in
the Ascom / autoguider settings "pulseguide" as a selection for guiding. If the
software is still in use, what are the advantages to using it vs. not?

Thanks,

Dan

Antoine PAVLIN

Hello Dan,

I personnally use Pulse Guiding with TheSkyX, AP V2 ASCOM driver and my Mach1GTO. I find it to give as good autoguiding result as direct connection to the camera (using camera relays and ST4 cable from camera to mount) and it is one cable less tangling and potentially catching some part of the setup when Imaging.

Clear skies

Antoine

De : danford5@... [ap-gto]
Envoyé le :jeudi 24 mars 2016 00:27
À : ap-gto@...
Objet :[ap-gto] AP 1200 GTOCP3 and Pulseguide

First post here. I've recently acquired a 2006 AP1200 CP3 and am currently familiarizing myself with its operation. Some of the documentation I've read discusses the Pulseguide stand-alone software requiring an additional serial connection to the mount. Is this stand-alone software still used or has it been built into the latest AP driver? Reason for asking, I'm currently using SkyX and see in the Ascom / autoguider settings "pulseguide" as a selection for guiding. If the software is still in use, what are the advantages to using it vs. not?

Thanks,
Dan

---

Stuart Heggie <stuart.j.heggie@...>

Ray, Dan - I used Pulseguide with TSX and my AP900GTO CP2 without incident and no extra cable. For guiding. Nothing tricky, just normal guiding for deep sky. Howard or George waded in with some yellow flags which I appreciated but I ran into none of the problems they told me to watch for.

Stuart

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 5:06 PM, 'Ray Gralak (Groups)' groups3@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Hi Dan,

Sorry I missed this post earlier. The new AP V2 ASCOM driver has most of the features of PulseGuide. The only thing missing is Pulseguide's feature to "learn" of tracking rate of a target like a comet, asteroid, or moon/sun, so except for those niche applications you should use the driver. PulseGuide might also be used a quick tool to park/unpark/slew the mount if you don't have or want to run an ASCOM application.

-Ray Gralak

Joe Zeglinski

Hi Stuart,

    Haven’t used Pulseguide but maybe I am missing one item in your reply – Which driver are you using with TSX and Pulseguide – ASCOM V2 or the S.B native driver?
If using the latest ASCOM V2, then it seems Pulseguide is now redundant ... for your “deep sky” work - except for tracking  the various rocks in space :-)

Joe

Stuart Heggie <stuart.j.heggie@...>

Joe, I'm using the ASCOM v2 driver from Ray. I have a CP2 mount. Latest chip.

How do you guide your deep sky shots if not by relays or pulse guide? I had an STL11000 as you know. I was able to eliminate the guider cable entirely by invoking Pulse Guide. But either way, I needed to guide my shots. If I invoked Relays, then I needed a cable from the camera to the mount. With Pulse Guide, no cable.

BTW - my STL11000 was guided this way both with the internal guide chip and with a RGH.

Stuart (who probably is also confused)

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 9:41 PM, 'Joseph Zeglinski' J.Zeglinski@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Hi Stuart,

    Haven’t used Pulseguide but maybe I am missing one item in your reply – Which driver are you using with TSX and Pulseguide – ASCOM V2 or the S.B native driver?
If using the latest ASCOM V2, then it seems Pulseguide is now redundant ... for your “deep sky” work - except for tracking  the various rocks in space :-)

Joe

Joe Zeglinski

Thanks Stuart,

    I have been trying to figure out how to eliminate that STL relay cable, for years. Guess I have to use PulseGuide to do it?
I think I will now give PulseGuide another look – anything to eliminate that darned extra guider cable.

    So, Ray  ...  if much of what is in PG is now part of the improved ASCOM V2 driver, does that mean that ASCOM V2 “itself” can also be configured to control the mount by a guider, without the need of extra relay cables – in particular an STL-11000 or RGH camera? Or, could that option be dependent on the imaging software, and not a capability with using CCDOPS or CCDSOFT?
Unless, of course,  the problem lies within the SBIG driver “itself” ... not being a real ASCOM driver. I really would appreciate some info on what I need to setup in V2 to accomplish this, without using PulseGuide.

Joe

Ray Gralak

Hi Joe,

I think there might be some confusion between name of the software application "PulseGuide" and ASCOM's PulseGuide function call. The latter is a command used by an ASCOM client application to move the mount for a small timed interval, usually tens of milliseconds. It is usually used by ASCOM clients for autoguiding. The AP V2 ASCOM driver has always had the "PulseGuide" function call so it has always been available to ASCOM clients for autoguiding without the need for extra cables.

-Ray Gralak

I have been trying to figure out how to eliminate that STL relay cable, for years.
Guess I have to use PulseGuide to do it?
I think I will now give PulseGuide another look – anything to eliminate that darned
extra guider cable.

So, Ray ... if much of what is in PG is now part of the improved ASCOM V2
driver, does that mean that ASCOM V2 “itself” can also be configured to control the
mount by a guider, without the need of extra relay cables – in particular an STL-
11000 or RGH camera? Or, could that option be dependent on the imaging
software, and not a capability with using CCDOPS or CCDSOFT?
Unless, of course, the problem lies within the SBIG driver “itself” ... not being a
real ASCOM driver. I really would appreciate some info on what I need to setup in
V2 to accomplish this, without using PulseGuide.

Joe

Konstantin von Poschinger

Hi,

there is one important thing you have to consider. You have a GTOCP2 and this control box is not so good for pulse guiding as the newer GTOCP3 and 4! It can happen that your configuration will not be able to do as small corrections over the serial cable as with the guiding cable.

Konstantin

Konstantin v. Poschinger

Hammerichstr. 5
22605 Hamburg
040/8805747
0171 1983476

Am 25.03.2016 um 12:48 schrieb 'Joseph Zeglinski' J.Zeglinski@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...>:

[...]

Konstantin, thanks. I was warned of this and was prepared to use the cable. I didn't see any degradation of my guiding but it wasn't a controlled experiment. Very possibly my stars would have been tighter with the cable and relays vs. pulse guide. I appreciate the "guidance" since I haven't upgraded the controller (yet).

Stuart

On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 8:09 AM, 'Konstantin v. Poschinger' k.poschinger@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Konstantin,

    Just to clarify, Stuart has the CP2, while I am running my mounts on CP3. So, I should be fine, if I can get my STL CCDOPS & CCDSOFT clients to use the Pulse Guiding “ASCOM V2 function”. But, I suspect SBIG’s driver is the blocking factor to make use of this inherent AP Driver’s function for a connection other than cabled..

Joe

Joe Zeglinski

Thanks Ray,

    I did indeed have these two distinctions confused. Thanks for clarifying.

Joe

Konstantin von Poschinger

Hi Joe,

I don’t understand why SBIG’s driver should be a blocking factor. I use multi SBIG cameras with multi AP mounts and a CP3 and never had problems with guiding. I use MaximDL for imaging but also have used CCDsoft.

Konstantin

Konstantin v. Poschinger

Hammerichstr. 5
22605 Hamburg
040/8805747
0171 1983476

Am 25.03.2016 um 16:41 schrieb 'Joseph Zeglinski' J.Zeglinski@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...>:

Hi Konstantin,

    Just to clarify, Stuart has the CP2, while I am running my mounts on CP3. So, I should be fine, if I can get my STL CCDOPS & CCDSOFT clients to use the Pulse Guiding “ASCOM V2 function”. But, I suspect SBIG’s driver is the blocking factor to make use of this inherent AP Driver’s function for a connection other than cabled..

Joe

Joe Zeglinski

Hi Konstantin,

    So, if I understand you correctly, you used your SBIG camera and guided without a cable to the CP3 guider port?
If so, I have some retesting to do. I didn’t think this was not possible, since as I understand it, the SBIG driver, which is common to all their models, is a special driver written by by them, many years ago, and does not conform to ASCOM specs. That would be required to let the CCD interface to the AP ASCOM driver.

    I am now eagerly looking forward to trying this again, with the supplied CCDSOFT & CCDOPS, since I had no luck the last time I tried and had to use the relay port cable.

Thanks for your encouraging news,
Joe

Konstantin von Poschinger

use the latest SBIG and AP drivers and everything will be fine.

Konstantin

Konstantin v. Poschinger

Hammerichstr. 5
22605 Hamburg
040/8805747
0171 1983476

Am 25.03.2016 um 19:11 schrieb 'Joseph Zeglinski' J.Zeglinski@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...>:

Hi Konstantin,

    So, if I understand you correctly, you used your SBIG camera and guided without a cable to the CP3 guider port?
If so, I have some retesting to do. I didn’t think this was not possible, since as I understand it, the SBIG driver, which is common to all their models, is a special driver written by by them, many years ago, and does not conform to ASCOM specs. That would be required to let the CCD interface to the AP ASCOM driver.

    I am now eagerly looking forward to trying this again, with the supplied CCDSOFT & CCDOPS, since I had no luck the last time I tried and had to use the relay port cable.

Thanks for your encouraging news,
Joe

Antoine PAVLIN

Hello Joseph,

I believe you are confusing two things there. In order to use PulseGuide you need to use an ASCOM compliant driver for your mount. This requirement has Nothing to do with the way you interface to your camera, and specifically you don’t need to have an ASCOM driver for the camera. It is enough that the Imaging software computes the position change of the guide star centroid and is able to send the timed compensation move to the mount via it’s ASCOM driver PulseGuide command.

I too use a SBIG camera with my Mach1GTO and TSX and I guide only using PulseGuide.

Clear skies

Antoine

De : 'Joseph Zeglinski' J.Zeglinski@... [ap-gto]
Envoyé le :vendredi 25 mars 2016 19:12
À : ap-gto@...
Objet :Re: [ap-gto] AP 1200 GTOCP3 and Pulseguide

Hi Konstantin,

    So, if I understand you correctly, you used your SBIG camera and guided without a cable to the CP3 guider port?
If so, I have some retesting to do. I didn’t think this was not possible, since as I understand it, the SBIG driver, which is common to all their models, is a special driver written by by them, many years ago, and does not conform to ASCOM specs. That would be required to let the CCD interface to the AP ASCOM driver.

    I am now eagerly looking forward to trying this again, with the supplied CCDSOFT & CCDOPS, since I had no luck the last time I tried and had to use the relay port cable.

Thanks for your encouraging news,
Joe

---

Pawel Lancucki

> Hi,
> there is one important thing you have to consider. You have a GTOCP2 and this control box is not so good for pulse guiding as the newer GTOCP3 and 4! It can happen that your

> configuration will not be able to do as small corrections over the serial cable as with the guiding cable.
> Konstantin
> Konstantin v. Poschinger

Hi Konstantin

It will work, but you need to be sure to pick right GTO system in AP driver config. I do use older AP400 with CP-2 and new Mach-1 with CP-3. I once took my home computer (set for CP-3) and tried to guide on AP-400 and it was a distater. After corected configuration (for CP-2), it worked very well again.

CS

Pawel Lancucki

Konstantin von Poschinger

Hi Pawl,