Parking via ASCOM

Scott Hammonds

This question is really for those of you who are using your AP mount and the ASCOM interface to park the scope via CCDAP5.

I'm using an AP1200GTO mount, CCDAP5, The Sky X. When I connect everything I have ASCOM/TheSkyX selected for Telescope. Under CCDAP5 Options I have checked Park Telescope. When my run has been completed it parks the telescope in its current position despite having preset a park position in TSX. So, I'm thinking it is using the ASCOM setup to issue the park command to the mount, correct? (In my case, the dropdown box has "current position" for the park position.) If this is the case, then I need to change the setting under the Default Park/Unpark positions in the ASCOM tab, correct?

My question then, If I select Park 3 in the ASCOM tab as the default park position, when CCDAP5 issues the command will it use the Park 3 position of the AP1200GTO mount? I’ve posted this same question on the CCDAP forum, but also thought someone here might have an answer for me.

Thanks,
Scott

Scott Hammonds
www.creatorsview.com

"I know one thing, that I know nothing." Socrates

Joel Short

I don't use CCDAP but if you are connecting via the AP Ascom driver then you need to configure the park position in Ascom.  So yes, if you set the park position to park 3 in the "Telescope Setup" (Ascom) settings it should park to park 3.  I don't know CCDAP but I believe most client applications that use Ascom simply issue a park command and let the Ascom driver tell the mount where to park.
joel

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 9:36 AM, Scott Hammonds shammonds@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Joel. That’s what I was thinking, but I didn’t use ASCOM in the past with CCDAP4 and The Sky 6 with Maxim. This setup is different and I am still learning my way around.

Scott Hammonds
www.creatorsview.com

“I write a little and cross out a lot. Sometimes I am pleased with it, sometimes not.” Chopin

From: <ap-gto@...> on behalf of "Joel Short buckeyestargazer@... [ap-gto]" <ap-gto@...>
Date: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 at 10:42 AM
To: <ap-gto@...>
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Parking via ASCOM

[...]

Stuart Heggie <stuart.j.heggie@...>

Scott / Joel, I'm not doubting you Joel but I happened to perform this very experiment two days ago. I have a AP900GTO CP2 running under ASCOM with the current driver. TSX is the control software. In the ASCOM driver I have "Park to current position" yet when I issued a park command in TSX, it went to where I had set the Park position in TSX months ago. So, my vote is that whatever program one uses (CCDAP, CCD-C, etc) it will send the mount to the park position that TSX has stored.

Stuart

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 10:42 AM, Joel Short buckeyestargazer@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

[...]

Go ahead and doubt me Stuart.  I don't claim to have the final answer especially since I don't use TSX.  No doubt Ray will clear this up.  All I know is that the software I use relies on the Ascom driver for the park position, and I thought that most (if not all) client applications that used the Ascom connection did the same.

joel

Scott Hammonds

That’s a big negative Stuart. :) At least in my experience. I plan to do a test tonight when the sun sets…

Here is what is happening to me. I can designate a park position in TSX and if I park using TSX, it goes to that position, but when connected to CCDAP and it sends commands, it using the ASCOM park position (at least that’s what I think, due to the fact it parks in the current position, which is what was set in the ASCOM tab).

We shall see what happens tonight, or perhaps I will run a daytime test.

From: <ap-gto@...> on behalf of "Stuart Heggie stuart.j.heggie@... [ap-gto]" <ap-gto@...>
Date: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 at 11:52 AM
To: "ap-gto@..." <ap-gto@...>

[...]

Well, if you check the logs on this list, I'm wrong more than I'm right so let's wait to hear from Ray. LOL!

Stuart

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 11:57 AM, Joel Short buckeyestargazer@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Go ahead and doubt me Stuart.  I don't claim to have the final answer especially since I don't use TSX.  No doubt Ray will clear this up.  All I know is that the software I use relies on the Ascom driver for the park position, and I thought that most (if not all) client applications that used the Ascom connection did the same.

joel

Stuart Heggie <stuart.j.heggie@...>

Scott, I am keen to know the result of your test. I thought that the ASCOM driver was mediating between TSX and the CPx controller. So to me it didn't matter if CCD-C (or CCDAP) was involved. It seems counter-intuitive that it should matter. My test was only with TSX.

Stuart

From: <ap-gto@...> on behalf of "Stuart Heggie stuart.j.heggie@... [ap-gto]" <ap-gto@...>
Date: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 at 11:52 AM
To: "ap-gto@..." <ap-gto@...>

--

Craig Anderson

I had a similar question using CCDAutoPilot v5, TSX, AP V2, and APCC Pro with my AP900 mount, which I operate remotely with no hand controller connected. What I learned is that TSX has set and clear park commands, and when commanded to park will send the mount to where ever it was when the last set was issued to TSX. What works for me in setting the desired park position is the following:

1. Make sure APCC (if applicable) and the ASCOM v2 driver are set to park to the desired position and to “resume from last park”.
2. Connect TSX to the mount via the ASCOM V2 driver.
3. From the TSX telescope tab, clear the park position.
4. Using the ASCOM V2 driver or APCC, park the mount to the desired position (I use Park 4).
5. From the TSX telescope tab, set the park position.
6. Test by commanding the mount to park and un-park from TSX.

If you use APCC Pro, it can get a little more interesting. If a pointing model is built after the TSX park position is set, you might get a meridian flip when you try to park in TSX. That’s what happened to me. The solution is just to clear and set the park position again in TSX after building a pointing model in APCC Pro.

-Craig

From: <ap-gto@...> on behalf of "Stuart Heggie stuart.j.heggie@... [ap-gto]" <ap-gto@...>
Date: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 at 11:52 AM
To: "ap-gto@..." <ap-gto@...>

[...]

Thanks for the feedback from all who replied.

Last night I experimented using the ASCOM interface to park the mount through CCDAP5. There is a test button for parking, simply labeled Park. I pressed the button with the scope pointing up after taking some dusk flats and it parked at Park 3, which was what I had selected in the ASCOM window. I started an unattended run with CCDAP and it unmarked perfectly and then parked the scope back in Park 3 when finished with the test run. I also had a memory error during a run later and it parked the scope perfectly again in Park 3. My final test run was on M101 late last evening and when I awoke this morning the run had completed with the scope in Park 3.

It will still allow me to specify a park position in TSX, but CCDAP does not use that position, but rather the default options that come with the AP mount as selected in ASCOM.

Craig, I have not yet integrated APCC into the mix, but plan to use the trial version soon.