Mauna Kea visit

Roland Christen

Hi All,

Last week we vacationed in Hawaii and met some friends for observing at the 9000 ft level of Mauna Kea, somewhat below the 14,700 ft summit where all the large observatories are located. The Visitor Center is located at this level, and every night hundreds of people converge on the parking lot outside the Vis to look thru a bunch of telescopes that the staff sets up. Chris Erickson drove us up there with his Astronomy Van and brought his C14 on his 1100 mount.

This first image shows two SCTs on equatorial mounts getting set up for the tourist onslaught that happens every night, 365 days of the year. In the background is the most massive mountain on Earth - Mauna Loa - rising above the marine layer (the peak is unfortunately hidden behind a nearby hill).

As twilight fades, visitors line up behind the scopes to look thru the eyepieces of various scopes set up by staff and amateur volunteers. This C14 is Chris Erickson's, who sets up his scope pretty much every Tuesday and helps people to look thru the eyepiece and explains what they are seeing. This night it was Jupiter and then the Moon.

People are delighted to see the Moon, even when full, and all you hear are gasps and WOWs as they see it for the first time at 80x. Chris even shows them how to take I-phone pictures of what they have seen. Chris is the one facing away from the scope, holding a quite bright red light so that people don't run into the tripod.

I was at another C14 and showed people the open clusters in Auriga. Celestron donated the tube assemblies for several C14s and C11s. The mounts came from AP. 900, 110 and 1200 equatorials on Losmandy tripod-piers. There is also a Televue 127 and various medium size Dobs for those who want to sail among the stars at lower powers.

During the early evening the sky was dark enough before the Moon rose to show the Zodiacal light with incredible clarity and brightness. I have seen it several times at the Mauna Kea Vis (short for Visitor center), but never got it quite right with my little Sony digital camera.

So here it is, my feeble attempt to capture this beautiful light show. Visually it reached up to the zenith, right past the Pleiades. On another occasion I also saw the Gegenschein past midnight, but not this night because of the Moon that rose later on.

Don Anderson

Great Pic of the Zodiacal Light Roland. Just wondering, is the faint streak just above the hill (lower right about 1" above the hill) a comet?

Don Anderson

[...]

Sam Miller

Very cool, I'd love to visit Hawaii. That is awesome there is a good public outreach

Sam

[...]

John A. Sillasen

How did you get Chris to wear a vest?  Or pants for that matter....  He's usually just wearing shorts while I'm up to 6 or 7 layers of clothing he's still in shorts!  Displaced Alaskan that he is you know.

Thanks for sharing.

John A. Sillasen

Christopher Erickson

I do dress warm up there when it gets cold. After all, I'm not as dumb as I look...

Sent via Android on a Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Christopher Erickson
Consulting Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hi 96738

On Mar 15, 2016 6:10 PM, "'John A. Sillasen' JASillasen@... [ap-gto]" <ap-gto@...> wrote:

How did you get Chris to wear a vest?  Or pants for that matter....  He's usually just wearing shorts while I'm up to 6 or 7 layers of clothing he's still in shorts!  Displaced Alaskan that he is you know.

Thanks for sharing.

John A. Sillasen

Roland Christen

That faint streak is most likely a satellite. It does not appear in images taken a few minutes earlier.

[...]

Well, he started out in shorts and T-shirt. But by 9pm it got quite cold since the sky was clear - lots of fast cooldown up on the mountain. I don't do cold very well, I preferred the temperatures at the beach which were around 85 F for the 2 weeks we were there.

How did you get Chris to wear a vest?  Or pants for that matter....  He's usually just wearing shorts while I'm up to 6 or 7 layers of clothing he's still in shorts!  Displaced Alaskan that he is you know.

Thanks for sharing.

John A. Sillasen

Benoit Schillings

How was the seeing at this location Chris ?

-- benoit

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 9:06 AM, chris1011@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Well, he started out in shorts and T-shirt. But by 9pm it got quite cold since the sky was clear - lots of fast cooldown up on the mountain. I don't do cold very well, I preferred the temperatures at the beach which were around 85 F for the 2 weeks we were there.

How did you get Chris to wear a vest?  Or pants for that matter....  He's usually just wearing shorts while I'm up to 6 or 7 layers of clothing he's still in shorts!  Displaced Alaskan that he is you know.

Thanks for sharing.

John A. Sillasen

Roland Christen

I believe that toward the latter part of the evening the seeing was reported to be sub-arc second.

How did you get Chris to wear a vest?  Or pants for that matter....  He's usually just wearing shorts while I'm up to 6 or 7 layers of clothing he's still in shorts!  Displaced Alaskan that he is you know.

Thanks for sharing.

John A. Sillasen

Don Anderson

Of course. That makes sense.

Sent from Don's iPhone

[...]

Barry Megdal

Very cool!

The only time I was on Mauna Kea was when I was an undergrad in 1975 – I was there for the summer helping a Caltech astronomer set up a 60” f/1 IR telescope on the summit.  The only large telescope up there at the time was the University of Hawaii scope.  They were building the Canada France Hawaii.  I can’t believe what the summit looks like now (from photos) – it was so empty then that I learned to drive a stick shift by tooling around on the summit with our jeep.  No visitor center at 9200’ either – just some dorms.  I have to get back there….

-          Barry

Dr. Barry Megdal

Faculty

Dept. of Electrical Engineering

California Institute of Technology

Pasadena, CA

bmegdal@...

doug789@...

Hi,

I am going up to the observatory(s) in a few days - going to stop down at the MKVIS as the sun sets. We have a front coming through, but I am getting excited!

Did any of local Hawaiian movement people get defensive?

Doug

Christopher Erickson

Mostly unlikely.

Summit sunset is best, or the hill (pu'u) Southwest of the VIS.

DougS <doug789@...>

On Mar 15, 2016, at 11:28 PM, Christopher Erickson christopher.k.erickson@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Mostly unlikely.

Summit sunset is best, or the hill (pu'u) Southwest of the VIS.

Sent via Android on a Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Christopher Erickson
Consulting Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hi 96738

On Mar 16, 2016 4:50 PM, "doug789@... [ap-gto]" <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Hi,

I am going up to the observatory(s) in a few days - going to stop down at the MKVIS as the sun sets. We have a front coming through, but I am getting excited!

Did any of local Hawaiian movement people get defensive?

Doug

doug789@...

Thanks Chris - good to hear