Keypad 4.19 update

Jack Huerkamp

Marj,

From the Uploading Instructions:

"You must also use a "straight through" (as opposed to a "null modem or crosswired") serial cable. We now have these Straight Through Serial Cables available for purchase, if you do not already have one. "

I assume that the RS-232 cable that I received with my AP1600 last March is a straight through serial cable and that is the only serial cable needed.  The instructions read like you need two serial cables - the RS-232 cable (that came with the mount) and a "straight through serial cable.

Yours truly,

Jack

Jack Huerkamp

Jack's Astro Accessories, LLC.

38388 Pine Streeet

Pearl River, LA 70452

985-863-2165 (Home)

985-445-5063 (Mobile)

mallincamusa@...

www.mallincamusa.com

The one that came with the mount is straight-through. Only one cable is needed.

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics, Inc

11250 Forest Hills Rd

Machesney Park, IL 61115

Phone: 815-282-1513

Fax: 815-282-9847

www.astro-physics.com

[...]

Thank you.  That is what I thought.  But I wanted to make sure before I started the procedure.

[...]

Paul Maxson <buzzard51@...>

Wow, thankfully I found a computer here that has a serial port. Not many do anymore. :-)

At 03:44 PM 1/18/2016, you wrote:

[...]

Those who say it can't be done should stay out of the way of those who are doing it.

In  addition to Jack's question, does this mean that you cannot use a USB to Serial port adapter? You do realize that most all computer, laptops no longer have serial ports, right?

I do happen to have one that has a serial port, but it doesn't have all my imaging software, Ver2 driver ect.

Assuming that only Windows is needed, then I guess this should work OK.

The site says the Installer is not available right now, check back. I guess we just have to check back from time to time?

Also, it seems that you must have a User Name and Password, I bought my mount used, so I am not a registered user I guess. So what do I do to get the Installer?

Thanks,

Floyd

Stuart

I'll admit that I'm now also confused. I have my computer talking to the mount for control via TSX and the ASCOM driver. Will it load over that connection? Or am I to use the spare Serial port on the mount and another cable?

Stuart

[...]

Floyd,

From the email sent out by AP:

Link to v4.19 Firmware

Here is the link to the instructions for downloading the firmware onto your computer and uploading to your Keypad. Note that the firmware loader is a PC-based program. Do NOT use a USB to serial adapter that has a Prolific chip. We recommend adapters with the FTDI chip or the Keyspan adapters.

So you can use a USB to Serial Adapter but it must have an FTDI chipset and not a Prolific.

[...]

Roland Christen

If your computer talks to the mount, then you can download the update. It's really that simple. No need for any second cable. What you have works.

[...]

You don't need a computer with serial port. Just use the same setup that you have now that talks to the mount.

[...]

Sorry...but no computer is attached to my mount. I'm guessing that means the computer with a serial port.

At 04:04 PM 1/18/2016, you wrote:

[...]

We recommend USB to serial adapters with the FTDI chip or the Keyspan adapters. Do NOT use a USB to serial adapter that has a Prolific chip.

The installer will be available again shortly. We made a change to the installer.

The user name and password were included in the documentation that was sent with the mount. Please register your mount and we will provide that information to you.

www.astro-physics.com/tech_support/mounts/mount_reg_form.htm

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics, Inc

11250 Forest Hills Rd

Machesney Park, IL 61115

Phone: 815-282-1513

Fax: 815-282-9847

www.astro-physics.com

In  addition to Jack's question, does this mean that you cannot use a USB to Serial port adapter? You do realize that most all computer, laptops no longer have serial ports, right?

I do happen to have one that has a serial port, but it doesn't have all my imaging software, Ver2 driver ect.

Assuming that only Windows is needed, then I guess this should work OK.

The site says the Installer is not available right now, check back. I guess we just have to check back from time to time?

Also, it seems that you must have a User Name and Password, I bought my mount used, so I am not a registered user I guess. So what do I do to get the Installer?

Thanks,

Floyd

You can bring your control box, keypad, serial cable, USB-to-serial adapter and power cable to the location where your computer is located. You do not need to have a computer at the mount.

Please read all instructions at the top of this page:

http://www.astro-physics.com/tech_support/mounts/keypad_update/419/419.htm

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics, Inc

11250 Forest Hills Rd

Machesney Park, IL 61115

Phone: 815-282-1513

Fax: 815-282-9847

www.astro-physics.com

[...]

Joe Zeglinski

Paul,

    As Marj suggested, you could bring the (CP3, Keypad and the installer)  program copied to a thumb drive,
to a friend’s or club’s  PC ...   which has either a real serial port, or uses an FTDI based serial/USB adapter.
In which case it should already have the required “straight through”  serial cable to use for this approx.  half hour task.
Shouldn’t be that hard to find one, in a pinch.

    The Keypad Update is a completely off-line operation, not requiring internet, once you have downloaded the installer. Obviously, the friend’s PC could be used to download it to a temp work folder on his PC.

    Although we are always warned about NOT trusting a PROLIFIC chip based USB adapter, it would be nice if someone could confirm that in this one case, the chip actually worked for their install. Perhaps more recent PROLIFIC products have ... finally ... resolved their incompatibility issues. Might just simply involve a Prolific Firmware download to fix them once and for all. Worth doing if anyone got stuck with such an adapter in the first place.

Many ways to get the Keypad job done, once the current download problem is straightened out.
Joe

Paul Maxson <buzzard51@...>

Marj,

Yes, that is exactly what I'll do. Thanks! :-)

Paul

[...]

I agree. I have a computer I have used to upgrade
the firmware for my EQ6 mount which will work
beautifully for this. I knew I could do it, it
was just a matter of deciding the direction. **grin**

At 05:10 PM 1/18/2016, you wrote:

[...]

Brilliant! Thanks Rolando!

Stuart

--

R Edelson

Sorry for not bring clear. I meant will we be able to use features like park 0 and resume, from APCC.

Richard

Park 0 is not incorporated into the ASCOM driver or APCC at this time.

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics, Inc

11250 Forest Hills Rd