 From: ap-gto@... on behalf of chris1011@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...>
Sent: Wednesday, 23 September 2015 12:19 p.m.
To: ap-gto@...
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Re: [ap-ug] AP1600GTO review

If you are always portable, you really don't need homing, there are alternate ways of recovering from a bad sync or other user error. Right now we don't have this homing feature for our keypad, but that could change when we add new keypad software in the near future. The new Homing feature is really meant for those who always control their permanently setup mount from a computer and may not always be there by the mount.

For those who are portable and set up fresh each night, if you have any glitch that causes the mount to point wrong and you cannot figure out what may be wrong or you cannot recover from the error, do this simple trick: 1) loosen all clutches so that the scope can swing free in both axes. 2) Hang onto the scope while you send the mount to Park3. When the mount gets to the park position (motors stop turning), place the mount physically to Park 3 position, re-tighten the clutches and you are ready to proceed with your normal mount operation.

[...]

Roland Christen

Finger tight will be enough for most setups. If you have a permanent setup or a very heavy scope, you can always lock the clutch knobs fully by using an Allan key.

[...]

Yes, there are also online copies available on AP's website in the tech ref section! If you have internet access . . .

---In ap-gto@..., <steven447@...> wrote :

[...]

There is not a right or wrong answer to your question.   Here is the wording from the manual:

How tight can the clutch be and can you do any damage by pushing against them?
The clutches cannot be damaged by tightening; however, it is not necessary to tighten them as you would tighten the lug nuts of your car’s wheel.  You will see that each clutch knob has a 5/32 hex socket for tightening with a hex key. With an extra 1/3 turn beyond hand tightening on each clutch knob, the axis (axes) will be considered completely “locked up” and you should not attempt to push your scope by hand against this “locked up” resistance, or undue stress will be placed on the worm wheel / worm and bearings.

Naturally, if you have a very heavy load, it is advisable to tighten the clutch knobs more than is necessary when a lighter payload is mounted.  When imaging you’ll want to ensure that the clutches are tighter so that there is no slippage.  Some recommendations follow.

As a final note, There is not a single “right way” to use the clutches, just as there is no perfect all-purpose telescope.  Here are some hints and guidelines:

The longer and / or heavier the scope, the tighter you will want the clutches

The more accurate the balancing, the less clutch tension that will be required

Permanent setups will generally have tighter clutches than portable setups.

Imaging setups will generally have tighter clutches than visual setups.

Loosen clutches for transport to avoid putting any undue stress on the worm gear.”

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Phone:  815-282-1513

[...]

Joe Zeglinski

Rolando,

    When talking about the “allowable” safe force  to lock clutch knobs , you should always STRESS the fact that you are talking about the NEW mounts AP-(1100, 1600, 32000) , and definitely not the old model AP-(900 & 1200).

    Tightening the latter’s clutches with an Allen Key will definitely squish – you often say “mushroom” - the Delrin plugs into the clutch knob threaded hole wall, and make it impossible to ever extract them for replacement – even using the special AP extraction screwdriver, which just chips them like sugar cubes.

    I speak from very bitter experience. Took an enormous  effort,  special tools, unique procedures, and lots of AP tech advice tips,  to finally get them out and replaced. Now I tighten “pinky-finger tight”, and leave solving other problems to perfect counterweighting.

Joe

Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2015 6:22 PM

Finger tight will be enough for most setups. If you have a permanent setup or a very heavy scope, you can always lock the clutch knobs fully by using an Allan key.

Yes, thank you.

Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2015 6:22 PM

Finger tight will be enough for most setups. If you have a permanent setup or a very heavy scope, you can always lock the clutch knobs fully by using an Allan key.

Rolando

Steven

Thanks Rolando, appreciated. No tech access at the moment. A friend has broken the black knob by over-tightening on his 1200 - it seemed urgent to check before locking it all up on my 1100. Thank You.

Steve

[...]

Cal Sandfort

I have only replaced my clutch plugs a couple of times (and I confess I had mushroomed a plug or two) but didn't like tapping the tool into the plug so I used a small Phillips head screwdriver, # P1 I believe, and slipped it in the hole until it hit the top of the plug and made a mark with a felt tip pen about 1/3 to 1/2  the length of the plug farther up the screwdriver. I pulled the screwdriver out and heated the tip with a match or butane lighter then melted it into the plug to the mark trying to center the screwdriver as best I could. I let it sit for a few minutes until I was sure it was cool. The melted hole fit the screwdriver perfectly without bulging the plug and they all back out without slipping.

Easy-peasy-Lemon-Squeezy

Mike Stephens

In ref to below - Just to confirm is Mach 1 considered a " New Mount " and as such it is acceptable to tighten clutch knobs with an Allen Wrench? tnx, Mike

Ref:

[...]

Yes, you can tighten the Mach1 with an Allen key. You can lock it up or tighten to any setting in between.

[...]

Nick Iversen

A couple of times I have forgotten to tighten the Mach1 knobs. I've still done successful imaging both times. So now I hardly tighten them at all - just finger tight at most.