APCC and ABORT SLEW via ASCOM Panel are different

Joe Zeglinski

    Just a warning about clicking ABORT SLEW using the ASCOM Flashing display.

    If APCC is running, do NOT click on the ASCOM panel – it now requires TWO clicks. The first click on the ASCOM panel, briefly pauses the slew for a few seconds, then APCC changes it slew message to say  it is “Resuming Slew”. If you click on ASCOM a second time, the APCC finally does stop the slew.
However, clicking ANY Stop button inside APCC, stops the slew immediately. Almost looks like the driver and the App has reversed their roles, in that instance at least.

    I trust other astronomy apps like The Sky-X etc., which have an Abort Slew button, respond on the the first click.

    That is dangerous – don’t see any need to waste screen space for the ASCOM panel, if you installed APCC. Clicking on the ASCOM Panel  Abort, only once,  could easily continue moving the scope into the pier or other hazard. Unless there is a good reason for having both control panels displayed, I am going to kill its launch at APCC startup.

    As I recall, before the APCC Beta came out, the ASCOM driver also flashed a warning window – asking the user if he was “really serious” about requesting that last Abort command, while “still continuing” to slew into disaster as it waited his reply. Fortunately, that was fixed, and a single ASCOM click is now enough to really Stop – provided ... you are NOT running in APCC mode.

Joe

Dave Goodyear <dave@...>

Why would you keep/use the ascom panel if using apcc?

I never see the ascom panel any longer unless i evoke it in apcc to change scope settings.

I must be using apcc incorrectly.

Dave Goodyear

On Apr 11, 2015, at 1:14 PM, 'Joseph Zeglinski' J.Zeglinski@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

[...]

When slewing, if i click the big red flashing box that says STOP SLEW, the mount stops slewing.

Dave Goodyear

On Apr 11, 2015, at 1:33 PM, Dave Goodyear dave@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

[...]

Dave,

    You are right.  My comment was a “heads-up”.
I think the default upon installing APCC is that it keeps the ASCOM panel displayed, for no particular purpose. That option can be unchecked in ASCOM setup. Just wondered if there was some other use  I had missed.

    I might have continued to use the old panel, minimizing the APCC main panel, since it takes up less screen space on a low res laptop, than the APCC. I don’t see the need for the full APCC panel, under normal operation, where the ASCOM tighter panel provided basic functions. However, I do like the 3D View, which initially was my main reason for eagerly awaiting the  APCC – and now the integrated RA-DEC & Alt-AZ GOTO’s, as well. There is a lot of power and flexibility in using APCC’s array of well laid out boxes.

    I once asked why the APCC NEAF/2013  video on the AP website, shows George’s screen with both old and new panels, and I was assured the ASCOM is redundant. I’m just suggesting that it can also fool someone into thinking that the previous operation operates the same  unchanged after APCC is installed - (even with the latest ASCOM driver update) – and either one can abort a slew. I found most option buttons do respond to APCC, but there are warnings in APCC documents, such as not finagling the Meridian Delay. Best not to override operations inside  apps, until checked.

Joe