V1 chip upgrade questions

Mike Shade

Received the new V1 chip and have a few questions:  I understand fully how to physically get the chip installed I have a few questions regarding initializing it.

Since I use a computer to drive the system…the directions offer to “make sure that the options to send all of the time, date…to the mount”…does this mean in the ASCOM driver I click “re-synch mount to PC time” and then on the next “page” click “send longitude and latitude to mount”…or is there another option(s) that I am missing?

Do I need to have the hand pad plugged in while I do this or just power the mount up and use the software to initialize?  I know I will have to synch on a star to update pointing and that PEM will be shot and need to be retrained.

Finally, with the Q version I had previously, Tpoint would lose accuracy over time and not point well, primarily in RA…since the new chip is supposed to allow positional accuracy virtually indefinitely, will Tpoint now work like it is supposed to?

Thanks…

Mike J. Shade: mshade@q.com

Mike J. Shade Photography

mshadephotography.com

In War: Resolution

In Defeat: Defiance

In Victory: Magnanimity

In Peace: Goodwill

Sir Winston Churchill

Vega, the brightest one, is now dropping toward the west.  Can it be half
a year since I watched her April rising in the east?  Low down in the
southwest Antares blinks a sad farewell to fall...
Leslie Peltier, Starlight Nights

"I like the dark, it's cheap" Ebenezer Scrooge

Gerry

Mike,

I just installed the V chip on my 1200 mount friday night. I spoke to George W at AP that afternoon to get clarification. I connected the hand controller ( was set to auto connect- no).Before powering up I set the mount in ref park 1
position. Powered  control box up . Selected location 1 (my observatory) & then (4) resume from ref park 1. After that was able to slew using the hand controller. I did not input any other info- time/ location was still there
 I have not connected the laptop yet . Will do that this evening.
 I have no experience with Tpoint.

Good luck,

Gerry

[...]

OK, thanks…little different than the procedure outlined in the instructions…hopefully Roland or George will chime in on this shortly…I very seldom use the handpad other than to say help center the star when checking collimation…

International Dark Sky Association: www.darksky.org <http://www.darksky.org/>

"I like the dark, it's cheap" Ebenezer Scrooge

_____

No virus found in this message.

Dave Goodyear <dave@...>

Is the V1 chip available to the GP?  Hoping soon for us encoder users. I heard there some guiding fixes.

Dave Goodyear

On Mar 29, 2015, at 2:46 PM, 'Mike Shade' mshade@q.com [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

[...]

Roland Christen

If you want to control the mount from your computer, then either remove the keypad or put the keypad in EXT mode. That way the computer will be used to initialize the mount and will send the mount your computer time at startup.

If you need more help using your computer to run the mount, then give George a call at AP.

[...]

Already, in the gathering dusk, a few of the stars are turning on
their lights.

<http://www.darksky.org/>

"I like the dark, it's cheap" Ebenezer Scrooge

  _____

No virus found in this
message.
4311/8906 - Release Date: 03/29/15

[Non-text portions of this message
have been removed]

<*> Your email settings:

Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

    (Yahoo! ID required)

change settings via email:
    ap-gto-digest@...

ap-gto-fullfeatured@...

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send
an email to:

<*> Your use of Yahoo
Groups is subject to:

[...]

swiencek

What is the difference between the V Chip and the V1?

[...]

Hi Dave,

We are still evaluating the tweak that we made to the encoder correction in the V1 chip before issuing an upgrade to all encoder mounts.

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics, Inc

11250 Forest Hills Rd

Machesney Park, IL 61115

Phone: 815-282-1513

Fax: 815-282-9847

www.astro-physics.com

[...]

The difference is only a tweak to the encoder correction that we are still evaluating. It only affects mounts with absolute encoders.

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics, Inc

11250 Forest Hills Rd

[...]