AP1100 Bugs

j.blazey@...

Literally, bugs.  Stink bugs and those fake ladybugs to be exact (I didn't know they co-habitated).  But no spiders.

I was removing my TEC 200ED to add an extra support ring to the dovetail so I decided to take the 1100 inside and clean it up a bit.  I have the whole installation "bagged and tagged" with a large Telegizmos 360 tarp which has worked extremely well over the last year.  When I removed the 1100's DEC assembly, about a couple of dozen of the critters fell out onto the pier top.  Yuck! Looking inside, the RA cavity was loaded them.

So I brought out the shop-vac and went to work.  There must have been a hundred or more of them in the mount.  They even got into the rotating pier top through the small hole in the back.   The 1100 itself does have a few openings in it, like at the top of the DEC axis for cabling so I bet that's how they got in.

But the mount worked just fine, even filled with bugs.  I swapped out the 1100 for the 900 Goto while doing more inspection and cleaning of the 1100.  The 900 does not have the openings except a small hole in the rotating pier top which will get taped over once I've got it aligned.

So when the 1100 goes back in service, I'll getting out the duct tape.

Jeff

James Baker

I have spider webs from the baffle tube to the inside surface of the main aluminum tube in a Meade LX200 12” SCT.  Don’t know how they got in there as I always keep a plug in the diagonal when the scope is stored, but get in they did.

James

[...]

Stuart

Don't get me started on the mice that made a home in my Paramount ME. $4000 damage later and ... Like who knew they liked to eat communications cables and power cables and mother boards? Now my Paramount ME has a new brain and ALL the holes sealed tight with metal plates.

I have never had bugs or mice in my AP900GTO. Not sure there is much of anywhere for them to go on that mount. Luckily!

Stuart

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 4:12 PM, j.blazey@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

[...]

Mike C

> mice that made a home in my Paramount ME

I feel your pain... all throughout the woods of our area there is the choice food of owls... Voles, they are like stout mice. Sometimes they will run in your front door if you leave it open on a nice Summer day. We went on vacation once for a couple weeks and one had evidently gotten into my house.

Well, we came home to a normal house. However, the vole had found the one thing warm and left turned on in the house, my 35mm slide scanner. I imagine he looked at that thing and thought... perfect size, in a nice area, perfect temperature...  then proceeded to move in and destroy it. Looked like he had spent some quality time there.

Stuart

Wow! I am too nice. I managed to catch 4 of the 5 alive and set them loose in the meadow. The 5th was refusing to be captured so he got to try the peanut butter in the mouse trap. To his permanent regret.

Stuart

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 5:48 PM, Mike C mike@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

> mice that made a home in my Paramount ME

I feel your pain... all throughout the woods of our area there is the choice food of owls... Voles, they are like stout mice. Sometimes they will run in your front door if you leave it open on a nice Summer day. We went on vacation once for a couple weeks and one had evidently gotten into my house.

Well, we came home to a normal house. However, the vole had found the one thing warm and left turned on in the house, my 35mm slide scanner. I imagine he looked at that thing and thought... perfect size, in a nice area, perfect temperature...  then proceeded to move in and destroy it. Looked like he had spent some quality time there.

Pawel Lancucki

Sorry for digging out this topic so lately. I have just inspected my AP1100 and see no bugs there. Are they a standard feature? Should I send mine back to factory for AP to install them?

CS

Pawel Lancucki

Stuart

They are a purely after-market item. You have to get them yourself. LOL!

Stuart

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 7:13 AM, 'Pawel T. Lancucki' pawel.lancucki@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Sorry for digging out this topic so lately. I have just inspected my AP1100 and see no bugs there. Are they a standard feature? Should I send mine back to factory for AP to install them?

CS

Pawel Lancucki

Don Anderson

Are they a factory approved aftermarket option?
Don