Topics

RAPAS reticle orientation

Donghun

Hi guys,

Last night I looked through RAPAS first time in a while and I realized 24h position is not pointing straight up (not straight toward the RAPAS objective direction).
I'm pretty sure my memory is failing here but last time it seemed 24h position was pointing straight up.

I must be wrong right? 

Thank you.
Donghun

Don Anderson

Sounds like the set screw locking that round ring which the led reticle threads into has come loose and the ring has turned. You can simply loosen the set screw located in the body of the RAPAS at the rear just below the collar and reposition it then re-tighten the screw.
Don A

On Saturday, February 22, 2014 4:06:54 PM, "malonee72@..." wrote:

Hi guys,

Last night I looked through RAPAS first time in a while and I realized 24h position is not pointing straight up (not straight toward the RAPAS objective direction).
I'm pretty sure my memory is failing here but last time it seemed 24h position was pointing straight up.

I must be wrong right? 

Thank you.
Donghun

Donghun

Hi Don,

Is 24h position pointing directly toward the RAPAS objective lens direction in your scope?

Thank you.
Donghun

observe_m13

Yes, when looking down into the eyepiece the 0/24hour division on the reticle is parallel to the objective tube and points directly at the objective end.

---In ap-gto@..., <malonee72@...> wrote:

Hi Don,

Is 24h position pointing directly toward the RAPAS objective lens direction in your scope?

Thank you.
Donghun

Donghun

Ah this is a bad news.
I think I need to return the scope to AP for service.
I'm not confident that I can adjust that.
The unit needs dead on accuracy.

It is strange that this happens.
I never touched the set screw as instructed in the manual.

Thank you.
Donghun

Wayne Hixson

You can adjust it under the night sky, I had the same thing happen. First center the reticle on Polaris. Then raise the altitude adjuster to move Polaris to the outer circle. If it lies on the 24h line, you're ok. Otherwise loosen the setscrew and rotate the reticle to lie on Polaris. Then lower the altitude adjuster to make sure Polaris moves back to the center point. Lock setscrew. Voila!
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

Sender: ap-gto@...
Date: 23 Feb 2014 11:22:57 -0800
To: <ap-gto@...>
ReplyTo: ap-gto@...
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] RAPAS reticle orientation

Ah this is a bad news.

Thank you.
Donghun

CHRISTOPHER FORD

Yes this is a fairly easy fix and AP, but I hear of this happening so often that I feel it is a minor design flaw in the RAPAS. That small set screw never seems quite tight enough to prevent rotation and misalignment of the reticule if knocked, especially as the illuminator makes such a wonderful lever. A beefier set screw or several of them would help. When the reticule is aligned, it should be totally imobile. (Like drop on the ground imobile)

I have two RAPAS and have accidentedly knocked my reticule out of alignment multiple times, even through something as simple as the pressure on the illuminator of draping a cover over the telescope for the night. It risks souring the out of the box experience as evident in this thread. (A friend of mine has just received a new RAPAS and experienced the same also)

Chris

To: ap-gto@...
Sent: Sunday, February 23, 2014 11:35:10 AM

You can adjust it under the night sky, I had the same thing happen. First center the reticle on Polaris. Then raise the altitude adjuster to move Polaris to the outer circle. If it lies on the 24h line, you're ok. Otherwise loosen the setscrew and rotate the reticle to lie on Polaris. Then lower the altitude adjuster to make sure Polaris moves back to the center point. Lock setscrew. Voila!

To:

Ah this is a bad news.

Thank you.
Donghun

Wayne Hixson

That would definitely be a nice feature!

On Feb 23, 2014, at 11:50 AM, cford81@... wrote:

Yes this is a fairly easy fix and AP, but I hear of this happening so often that I feel it is a minor design flaw in the RAPAS. That small set screw never seems quite tight enough to prevent rotation and misalignment of the reticule if knocked, especially as the illuminator makes such a wonderful lever. A beefier set screw or several of them would help. When the reticule is aligned, it should be totally imobile. (Like drop on the ground imobile)

I have two RAPAS and have accidentedly knocked my reticule out of alignment multiple times, even through something as simple as the pressure on the illuminator of draping a cover over the telescope for the night. It risks souring the out of the box experience as evident in this thread. (A friend of mine has just received a new RAPAS and experienced the same also)

Chris

Ah this is a bad news.

Thank you.
Donghun

Don Anderson

Sometimes the set screw wasn't tightened fully at AP. The reticle illuminator light unit is quite long and if it gets bumped, can create a fair amount of torque on that ring.
I recall there was a post some time back on someone having this problem and Rolando explained how to re adjust the reticle. I would phone AP and talk to them before sending it back
Don Anderson

On Sunday, February 23, 2014 12:23:01 PM, "malonee72@..." wrote:

Ah this is a bad news.

Thank you.
Donghun

Donghun

Thank you guys for the help.

I remember I used the Polaris method to align the bubble level for the Takahashi mount polar finder.

I'm surprised that the reticle can get out of alignment so easily. It must have been bumped while I was covering the scope. I will remove the finder as soon as I finish polar alignment from now on.

Donghun

Stuart Forman

I'm the friend whom Chris speaks of.  I'm a little unclear as to which set screw to loosen and readujust.  In the directions there is an arrow with instructions, "DO NOT LOOSEN SCREW".  Is that the screw you speak of?  

Donghun

I think that you are right.
Loosen the 'Do Not loosen screw' and rotate the part with the jack for the LED to align.

Donghun

Don Anderson

The problem of that long reticle illuminator getting caught on things and possibly shifting the reticle holder plus the likelihood of the batteries being dead when you go to use the supplied unit, motivated me to design and build my own illuminator. Mine is about the size of the old PASILL4 polar scope illuminator and works the same way. I plug it into the reticle outlet on the GOTOCP3 panel and control it via the keypad or ASCOM driver.
Don Anderson

On Sunday, February 23, 2014 12:51:00 PM, "cford81@..." wrote:

Chris

To:

Ah this is a bad news.

Thank you.
Donghun

Kai Yang

Hello All,

Do you know if AP will have a plan to enhance/fix the RAPAS reticle issue ?
I really hope to not worry about re-adjust the RAPAS in the dark site field.

-Kai (potential future Mach1 owner)

On Monday, February 24, 2014 11:41 AM, Don Anderson wrote:

The problem of that long reticle illuminator getting caught on things and possibly shifting the reticle holder plus the likelihood of the batteries being dead when you go to use the supplied unit, motivated me to design and build my own illuminator. Mine is about the size of the old PASILL4 polar scope illuminator and works the same way. I plug it into the reticle outlet on the GOTOCP3 panel and control it via the keypad or ASCOM driver.
Don Anderson

On Sunday, February 23, 2014 12:51:00 PM, "cford81@..." wrote:

Chris

To: <ap-gto@...>

Ah this is a bad news.

Thank you.
Donghun

Roland Christen

Hi,

I've been on vacation for a week or so and just now catching up with all the e-mails on the group. As far as the reticle, you can easily adjust it, no need to send it back to AP. Talk to George at AP, and once he explains the adjustment procedure, you will understand (and probably give yourself a dope slap).

By the way, it is NOT asboslutely necessary to get the reticle exact. A slight bit off perfectly vertical will not throw off the polar alignment much at all.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: ap-gto
Sent: Sun, Feb 23, 2014 1:22 pm

Ah this is a bad news.

Thank you.
Donghun

Roland Christen

I always unscrew my illuminator when I am done aligning the mount.

Rolando

Sent: Mon, Feb 24, 2014 1:40 pm

Don Anderson

On Sunday, February 23, 2014 12:51:00 PM, "cford81@..." <cford81@...> wrote:

Chris

Ah this is a bad news.

Thank you.
Donghun

Roland Christen

When you get the scope, snug the set screw down. After you attach the reticle illuminator you do your polar alignment. When you are done, simply unscrew the illuminator, turn it off and put it away. You will then not have the problems that others report that leave their illuminators on the eyepiece. Yes, we have maybe half a dozen people who have this problem, but we also have about 300 - 400 others who do not leave the illuminators on there to act as levers.

Rolando 

Sent: Wed, Feb 26, 2014 1:11 am

Hello All,

Do you know if AP will have a plan to enhance/fix the RAPAS reticle issue ?
I really hope to not worry about re-adjust the RAPAS in the dark site field.

-Kai (potential future Mach1 owner)

On Monday, February 24, 2014 11:41 AM, Don Anderson <jockey_ca@...> wrote:

Don Anderson

On Sunday, February 23, 2014 12:51:00 PM, "cford81@..." <cford81@...> wrote:

Chris

Ah this is a bad news.

Thank you.
Donghun

John A. Sillasen

When I saw the video taken at WSP putting the 7" refractor on his mount, I cringed and thought of you when he got on the 1st rung of the ladder and grabbed on to the RAPAS to balance himself as he climbed up.  Brrrr.   Shudder.  Such a natural inclination yet so scarey too.  Made me smile just thinking of your reaction,  George's and well mine too.  

John Sillasen

Roland Christen

Silly man! We did not use the Rapas for step. We piled up a couple of 175 triplet lenses and used them to stand on.

Rolando

Sent: Sat, Mar 8, 2014 11:29 am
Subject: [ap-gto] Re: RAPAS reticle orientation

When I saw the video taken at WSP putting the 7" refractor on his mount, I cringed and thought of you when he got on the 1st rung of the ladder and grabbed on to the RAPAS to balance himself as he climbed up.  Brrrr.   Shudder.  Such a natural inclination yet so scarey too.  Made me smile just thinking of your reaction,  George's and well mine too.  

John Sillasen

Stuart Forman

I'm a general lurker on this list, but I wanted to give my $.02 on the RAPAS.   I have a Mach1 and with my initial installation on the RAPAS I realized I hadn't installed the adaptor exactly level, so my orientation was off a bit.  I pulled off the adaptor, loaded up the mount so it will have the proper weight, and then reinstalled the adaptor and made it exactly level.  Then I plopped in the RAPAS and it worked absolutely perfectly.  I was able to get a 10 minute unguided sub with round stars (I've got a TEC 140), and after leaving the mount running for a few hours I rechecked the alignment and Polaris was right where the RAPAS app said it should be.  I never bothered to drift align to double check it; for me, except for my initial leveling glitch, it has worked perfectly out of the box.  George thought it would, and he was right.  

I hadn't thought about removing the LED after alignment, but it makes total sense, and I will do it from now on.  Also, I will tighten the set screw.

I am involved with the Virtual Star Party, where amateur astronomers broadcast telescope feeds on Google Plus, the website Universe Today and Youtube in a moderated webcast every Sunday.   Many weeks the VSP has gotten started without me because I was delayed trying to get the three stars aligned properly in the old polar scope.  Now in the RAPAS, I can be aligned within seconds, and with much better accuracy.  

(By the way, we're always looking for astronomers to help with the VSP project.  If you're interested, contact me off list)

Stuart