From: dan j <danjanos@...>
To: ap-gto <ap-gto@...>
Sent: Tue, Oct 16, 2012 8:24 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] cannot connect gto CP3 to the SKy 6

Hi Everyone,
I upgraded my computer to a Windows 7 platform and reinstalled all the
software. But I am having a problem connecting my Parallax hd150c with AP GTO
electronics. The keypad is set to "ext", using com port 4 set to 9600 bps here
is the error message I get from the SKY 6.
"Astro-Physics GTO not responding. Please check communications port
settings,powers and connections to the control the system".
Now here is the crazy part. I had the system working before dinner doing test
slews through the SKY 6! The computer went into sleep mode and after wakening
the computer up the problem started. ugh!!
Any help would be appreciated.
dan

Michael Turner

Dan,

When a Windows 7 computer goes to sleep, it may (probably) reassign the
comm port upon reawakening. Double check your serial port assignment in
Windows 7 and TheSky.

When using the TheSky (6 or X), I always make sure that sleep and hibernate
are turned off.

Michael

At 06:33 PM 10/16/2012, you wrote:

You DO NOT need to set the keypad to EXT in order to use an external
planetarium program!!! Please read the manual.

1) set the keypad to Autostart YES
2) start your mount by turning on 12 volt power
3) Connect TheSky6 using Astro-Physics mount and your serial cable
4) In the Sky6 press "Link > Establish"

That is all you need to do!
You do not need to do anything else in order to control your mount fully
from your planetarium program.

I upgraded my computer to a Windows 7 platform and reinstalled all the
software. But I am having a problem connecting my Parallax hd150c with AP GTO
electronics. The keypad is set to "ext", using com port 4 set to 9600 bps
here
is the error message I get from the SKY 6.
"Astro-Physics GTO not responding. Please check communications port
settings,powers and connections to the control the system".
Now here is the crazy part. I had the system working before dinner doing test
slews through the SKY 6! The computer went into sleep mode and after wakening
the computer up the problem started. ugh!!
Any help would be appreciated.
dan

Gerald Miller

Reboot the computer and don't let it go to sleep while connected. Change it under Power settings so it won't ever go to sleep or hibernate if you want to avoid such problems. How it's set up with the mount is not relevent.

Roland, are your new mounts going to stick with the old serial port standard? I hope not.

I also have had issues with serial connections-mainly related to using USB to Serial converters that are now required since no laptops or PC's have no serial ports. I bought a 4-port $150 Tripplite USB-Serial converter from AP to use with the Icron Ranger (both bought because AP recommends them to work on the AP site). It does not work with the Icron and neither Icron or Tripplite can tell me why after hours are trying to get it to work. So now I have a $150 paperweight.

Fortunately, a Startech USB-Serial 4-port works with the Icron without issue.

Gerald

--- In ap-gto@..., chris1011@... wrote:

[...]

All our mounts use the CP3 controller, same as always.

Roland

I upgraded my computer to a Windows 7 platform and reinstalled all the
software. But I am having a problem connecting my Parallax hd150c with AP GTO
electronics. The keypad is set to "ext", using com port 4 set to 9600 bps here
is the error message I get from the SKY 6.
"Astro-Physics GTO not responding. Please check communications port
settings,powers and connections to the control the system".
Now here is the crazy part. I had the system working before dinner doing
test
slews through the SKY 6! The computer went into sleep mode and after wakening
the computer up the problem started. ugh!!
Any help would be appreciated.
dan

Ray Gralak <groups1@...>

Hi Gerald,

since no laptops or PC's have no serial ports.
Actually there are some desktop computers that still come with serial ports built in (e.g. some of the Dell Optiplex and
Precision desktops).

If you are using a desktop without a serial port the best solution is a 2-port PCI and PCI-express card. They run from
$10-40 usually and are much more robust than the USB/serial adapters. You can find them at Newegg or Amazon.

-Ray Gralak
Author of Astro-Physics Command Center (APCC)

I upgraded my computer to a Windows 7 platform and reinstalled all the
software. But I am having a problem connecting my Parallax hd150c with AP GTO
electronics. The keypad is set to "ext", using com port 4 set to 9600 bps here
is the error message I get from the SKY 6.
"Astro-Physics GTO not responding. Please check communications port
settings,powers and connections to the control the system".
Now here is the crazy part. I had the system working before dinner doing test
slews through the SKY 6! The computer went into sleep mode and after wakening
the computer up the problem started. ugh!!
Any help would be appreciated.
dan

Gerald Miller

Ray,

I bought a new Win7 Asus high end laptop dedicated solely for imaging. I know of no current laptop that comes with a dedicated serial port. Mine didn't. These new laptops replace the desktop pretty much these days, particularly in the field.

Gerald

--- In ap-gto@..., "Ray Gralak" <groups1@...> wrote:

Hi Gerald,

[...]

Laptops with serial ports still exist. For instance, some of the Panasonic Toughboooks still have a serial port which
might have been a better choice than your Asus for outdoor environments - I wouldn't want to use my high-end 17"
Alienware outdoors.

Also, many of the Dell laptops have docking stations with COM ports. Probably other manufacturers have docking stations.

--- In ap-gto@... <mailto:ap-gto%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:ap-gto%40yahoogroups.com>
, chris1011@ wrote:

[...]

tucstargzr

I'll also note that current generation MOBOs still have a Serial Connector. The correct Connector/Cable/Back plate is easy to find for 10 bucks.

Maybe it's me, but using a 64 bit Win7 OS I have issues getting the Serial Port to work with my planetarium (ECU). Life is too short to bang my head against the wall so I'm running a 32 bit version.

Tom

--- In ap-gto@..., "Ray Gralak" <groups1@...> wrote:

Hi Gerald,

since no laptops or PC's have no serial ports.
Actually there are some desktop computers that still come with serial ports built in (e.g. some of the Dell Optiplex and
Precision desktops).

If you are using a desktop without a serial port the best solution is a 2-port PCI and PCI-express card. They run from
$10-40 usually and are much more robust than the USB/serial adapters. You can find them at Newegg or Amazon.

-Ray Gralak
Author of Astro-Physics Command Center (APCC)

George LaBelle

Really you guys. Let's be honest here. Any new designs should use USB. It is the industry standard for plug-and-play communications (has been for quite a while). Many computers, mostly laptops, do not have serial ports any more for good reason - nothing new uses it. Adapters are troublesome.

I am surprised if the AP1600 or 3600 does not use USB.

George

[...]

Christopher Erickson

It's not about serial-USB conversion, it's not the OS and it's not about the
planetarium software.

It's all about the adapter's driver software and the authors who did a fast
job instead of a good job.

If everyone who is having troubles with serial-to-USB adapters were to
switch to adapters using FTDI chips and drivers, their serial adapter
problems would go away.

Stop buying the junk from the box stores and gas stations.

Get this and then install the correct drivers for it and your particular OS:

http://www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/txtSearch/ftdi/List/0/S
ortField/4/ProductID/378/Default.aspx

Christopher Erickson
Consulting Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

[...]

Having a serial-to-USB adapter on the inside versus the outside may
make some consumers feel better but it would really be a disadvantage
and disservice to the consumer. Whether they realize it or not.

Both Meade and iOptron have come out with scopes with USB interfaces
(USB-to-Serial adapter chips on the inside) and they have been
nothing but endless headaches for their owners. Both iOptron and
Meade have switched back to serial for their latest model releases.

I hope this helps.

Christopher Erickson
Consulting Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

I bought a new Win7 Asus high end laptop dedicated solely for imaging. I
know of no current laptop that comes
with a dedicated serial port. Mine didn't. These new laptops replace the
desktop pretty much these days,
particularly in the field.

Gerald
--- In ap-gto@... <mailto:ap-gto%40yahoogroups.com> , "Ray
Gralak" <groups1@> wrote:

Hi Gerald,

since no laptops or PC's have no serial ports.
Actually there are some desktop computers that still come with serial
ports built in (e.g. some of the Dell
Optiplex and
Precision desktops).

If you are using a desktop without a serial port the best solution is
a 2-port PCI and PCI-express card. They run
from
$10-40 usually and are much more robust than the USB/serial adapters.
You can find them at Newegg or
Amazon.

-Ray Gralak
Author of Astro-Physics Command Center (APCC)
Author of Astro-Physics V2 ASCOM Driver:
http://www.gralak.com/apdriver

From: dan j <danjanos@>
I upgraded my computer to a Windows 7 platform and reinstalled all
the
software. But I am having a problem connecting my Parallax hd150c
with AP GTO
electronics. The keypad is set to "ext", using com port 4 set to
9600 bps here
is the error message I get from the SKY 6.
"Astro-Physics GTO not responding. Please check communications
port
settings,powers and connections to the control the system".
Now here is the crazy part. I had the system working before dinner
doing test
slews through the SKY 6! The computer went into sleep mode and
after wakening
the computer up the problem started. ugh!!
Any help would be appreciated.
dan

-----
No virus found in this message.

tucstargzr

Easy there, Chris. Nothing I said should have given you ANY perception I was doing a USB-Serial conversion. So to be clear, I'm Merrily using the same computer with 32 bit WIN7, serial connection between the mount and desktop computer.

If you missed that part, is it possible you assumed incorrectly on the other points? Let's keep it friendly here as Life is too short as it is.

Tom

--- In ap-gto@..., "Christopher Erickson" <christopher.k.erickson@...> wrote:

[...]

Apparently I came across too aggressive and I apologize for that, it wasn't
intended.

And I was responding to the thread, not to you specifically.

Clear skies and chocolate!

Christopher Erickson
Consulting Engineer
Summit Kinetics