AP1200 Confusion - Altitude Adjustment Knob

Kerry

OK, I am confused again.

If you are standing on the north side of the AP1200 mount looking south and the altitude adjustment knob is below (seeing it from the top), turning the knob CCW raises or lowers the elevation?

Thanks,
KW

Kent Kirkley

Lowers

Lefty loosie righty tighty....or Lefty lowers righty Raises.

Kent Kirkley

If you are standing on the north side of the AP1200 mount looking south and the
altitude adjustment knob is below (seeing it from the top), turning the knob CCW
raises or lowers the elevation?

Thanks,
KW

CurtisC <calypte@...>

Can't you watch the mount move as you turn the knob?

--- In ap-gto@..., "Kerry" <kerry.williams@...> wrote:

OK, I am confused again.

If you are standing on the north side of the AP1200 mount looking south and the altitude adjustment knob is below (seeing it from the top), turning the knob CCW raises or lowers the elevation?

Thanks,
KW

Kerry

Not really.

--- In ap-gto@..., "CurtisC" <calypte@...> wrote:

Can't you watch the mount move as you turn the knob?

--- In ap-gto@..., "Kerry" <kerry.williams@> wrote:

OK, I am confused again.

If you are standing on the north side of the AP1200 mount looking south and the altitude adjustment knob is below (seeing it from the top), turning the knob CCW raises or lowers the elevation?

Thanks,
KW

Jeff Crilly <jlc@...>

Pretty sure CCW lowers the altitude.
The knob us just a big screw that pushes against the bottom of the RA.

I'm curious on why you can't see the mount move.
Do you have the altitude lock bolts tightened?

jeff

On Jun 27, 2010, at 11:53 PM, "Kerry" <kerry.williams@...> wrote:

Not really.

--- In ap-gto@..., "CurtisC" <calypte@...> wrote:

Can't you watch the mount move as you turn the knob?

--- In ap-gto@..., "Kerry" <kerry.williams@> wrote:

OK, I am confused again.

If you are standing on the north side of the AP1200 mount looking south and the altitude adjustment knob is below (seeing it from the top), turning the knob CCW raises or lowers the elevation?

Thanks,
KW

Jeff Crilly <jlc@...>

Wait... "seeing it from the top". I'm not sure what that means.

If you grip the knob with the palm of your hand (and afaict there is only one way to to do that) then turn clockwise I'm pretty sure the altitude will rise.

I can see it move on my mount.

jeff

On Jun 28, 2010, at 8:10 AM, Jeff Crilly <jlc@...> wrote:

Pretty sure CCW lowers the altitude.
The knob us just a big screw that pushes against the bottom of the RA.

I'm curious on why you can't see the mount move.
Do you have the altitude lock bolts tightened?

jeff

On Jun 27, 2010, at 11:53 PM, "Kerry" <kerry.williams@...> wrote:

Not really.

--- In ap-gto@..., "CurtisC" <calypte@...> wrote:

Can't you watch the mount move as you turn the knob?

--- In ap-gto@..., "Kerry" <kerry.williams@> wrote:

OK, I am confused again.

If you are standing on the north side of the AP1200 mount looking south and the altitude adjustment knob is below (seeing it from the top), turning the knob CCW raises or lowers the elevation?

Thanks,
KW

ancient.sull

If I loosen the clamps on the sides of the fork and turn the Alt Adjustment knob I can feel that I am lifting the weight of the mount in one direction and I can feel that the mount is being allowed to settle when I turn the other way.

Can you feel the difference lifting the mount in one direction?

(I can tell you which way I turn the knob but worry we'll get lost in "to my right or to the mount's right" etc. The above is pretty failsafe).

--- In ap-gto@..., Jeff Crilly <jlc@...> wrote:

[...]

fernandorivera3

Hi, Kerry

You can try putting your AP mount in park position #1. Then place small carpenter's level on the dovetail saddle plate. As you turn the altitude adjustment knob you can see right away by watching the bubble level if mount is being raised or lowered. HTH.

Best regards,

Fernando

[...]

Thanks, all. I have been trying to make some precise polar alignment changes under a combination of fatigue, bad lighting, darkness and poor eyesight.

I figured it out last night. Standing on the front side of the mount looking south and looking down on the adjustment knob, turning the knob CW (to the left) lowers the mount. Turning it CCW (to the right) raises the mount.

--- Kerry