The Sky 6 software and Astro Physics GOTOCP3

Roland Christen

In a message dated 6/26/2010 11:11:22 AM Central Daylight Time,
icehouse4@... writes:

Ray,

I brought up the mount (Mathis) through the SKY and the ASCOM driver
showed Parked for about 5-6 seconds then went to unparked with the sidereal
tracking on. I have to click on the Park button to Park the mount again.

Dean
Unplug the keypad. If you have it plugged in, set it to EXT and set the
tracking rate to STOP.

Rolando

Dean <icehouse4@...>

After parking the telescope with the AstroPhysics ASCOM driver, I terminate the connection in The Sky 6. When I reconnect and the ASCOM driver comes back up, the driver shows the mount unparked and the Sidereal tracking on. Is there a cure for this? I want the mount to stay parked until I unpark it and the sidereal tracking off. I have the Q chip and version 4.99.59 driver.

Ray Gralak <groups@...>

Dean,

The latest driver version is v5.0.0. Please try that instead.

http://www.gralak.com/apdriver

-Ray

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, June 26, 2010 6:09 AM
To: ap-gto@...
Subject: [ap-gto] The Sky 6 software and Astro Physics GOTOCP3

After parking the telescope with the AstroPhysics ASCOM driver, I terminate the connection in The Sky 6. When I
reconnect and the
ASCOM driver comes back up, the driver shows the mount unparked and the Sidereal tracking on. Is there a cure for
this? I want the
mount to stay parked until I unpark it and the sidereal tracking off. I have the Q chip and version 4.99.59 driver.

Dean <icehouse4@...>

Ray,

I installed the new software. I will let you know how it turns out when I bring the observatory back on line. Thanks.. Dean

--- In ap-gto@..., "Ray Gralak" <groups@...> wrote:

Dean,

-Ray

After parking the telescope with the AstroPhysics ASCOM driver, I terminate the connection in The Sky 6. When I
reconnect and the
ASCOM driver comes back up, the driver shows the mount unparked and the Sidereal tracking on. Is there a cure for
this? I want the
mount to stay parked until I unpark it and the sidereal tracking off. I have the Q chip and version 4.99.59 driver.

Dean <icehouse4@...>

Ray,

I brought up the mount (Mathis) through the SKY and the ASCOM driver showed Parked for about 5-6 seconds then went to unparked with the sidereal tracking on. I have to click on the Park button to Park the mount again.

Dean

--- In ap-gto@..., "Dean" <icehouse4@...> wrote:

Ray,

I installed the new software. I will let you know how it turns out when I bring the observatory back on line. Thanks.. Dean

--- In ap-gto@..., "Ray Gralak" <groups@> wrote:

Dean,

-Ray

reconnect and the
this? I want the

Ray Gralak <groups@...>

Dean,

You wrote:
I brought up the mount (Mathis) through the SKY and the ASCOM driver showed Parked for about 5-6 seconds then went to
unparked with the sidereal tracking on. I have to click on the Park button to Park the mount again.
The driver looks at RA to detect if the mount is tracking or not. Maybe something else in your setup is starting
tracking. Can you post the driver log file to the files section?

Thanks,

-Ray

Dean <icehouse4@...>

Ray, I uploaded the log file to the files section. My user ID is glaceda. Thanks. Dean

Dean,

You wrote:
I brought up the mount (Mathis) through the SKY and the ASCOM driver showed Parked for about 5-6 seconds then went to
unparked with the sidereal tracking on. I have to click on the Park button to Park the mount again.
The driver looks at RA to detect if the mount is tracking or not. Maybe something else in your setup is starting

Thanks,

-Ray

Ray Gralak <groups@...>

Dean,

I looked at your log file and it looks like tracking was already started when the driver was connected. Something else,
maybe the hand controller as Roland suggested, probably started tracking.

BTW, here's how the parking status works in the driver: When the mount is parked or unparked the driver writes that
status to a file. When the driver starts again it reads the file and assumes that the park status is correct but it also
looks at RA to see if it is not changing, which would mean the mount is tracking. If the driver determines tracking is
on then the Park status is changed to unparked.

That said there is a new version of firmware in the final tweaking stages that can read Park status (and many other
things) from the mount so the driver will not have to do such "detective work".

BTW, if you are using the bottom COM port on the controller try switching to the top COM port.

-Ray

Sent: Saturday, June 26, 2010 9:42 AM
Subject: [ap-gto] Re: The Sky 6 software and Astro Physics GOTOCP3

Ray, I uploaded the log file to the files section. My user ID is glaceda. Thanks. Dean

--- In ap-gto@... <mailto:ap-gto%40yahoogroups.com> , "Ray Gralak" <groups@...> wrote:

Dean,

You wrote:
I brought up the mount (Mathis) through the SKY and the ASCOM driver showed Parked for about 5-6 seconds then went
to

Thanks,

-Ray

Dean <icehouse4@...>

Ray,

Thanks for the analysis. When I go up to the observatory in a couple of weeks I will look at the hand controller and switch the com ports on the control box.

Dean

Dean,

I looked at your log file and it looks like tracking was already started when the driver was connected. Something else,

BTW, here's how the parking status works in the driver: When the mount is parked or unparked the driver writes that
status to a file. When the driver starts again it reads the file and assumes that the park status is correct but it also
looks at RA to see if it is not changing, which would mean the mount is tracking. If the driver determines tracking is

That said there is a new version of firmware in the final tweaking stages that can read Park status (and many other

BTW, if you are using the bottom COM port on the controller try switching to the top COM port.

-Ray

--- In ap-gto@... <mailto:ap-gto%40yahoogroups.com> , "Ray Gralak" <groups@> wrote:

Dean,

You wrote:
I brought up the mount (Mathis) through the SKY and the ASCOM driver showed Parked for about 5-6 seconds then went
to

Thanks,

-Ray

Dean <icehouse4@...>

Ray,

Can I use the control box without the Hand controller since I am using the ASCOM Driver and the SKY 6 software?

Dean

Ray,

Thanks for the analysis. When I go up to the observatory in a couple of weeks I will look at the hand controller and switch the com ports on the control box.

Dean

Dean,

-Ray

--- In ap-gto@... <mailto:ap-gto%40yahoogroups.com> , "Ray Gralak" <groups@> wrote:

Dean,

You wrote:
to

Thanks,

-Ray

Dean <icehouse4@...>

Rolando,

Thanks for the advice. I have to wait to get up to the observatory before I can unplug it.

Dean

--- In ap-gto@..., chris1011@... wrote:

In a message dated 6/26/2010 11:11:22 AM Central Daylight Time,
icehouse4@... writes:

Ray,

I brought up the mount (Mathis) through the SKY and the ASCOM driver
showed Parked for about 5-6 seconds then went to unparked with the sidereal
tracking on. I have to click on the Park button to Park the mount again.

Dean
Unplug the keypad. If you have it plugged in, set it to EXT and set the
tracking rate to STOP.

Rolando

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Dean <icehouse4@...>

Ray,

Never mind my last question. I got the reply from Rolando.

Dean

Ray,

Can I use the control box without the Hand controller since I am using the ASCOM Driver and the SKY 6 software?

Dean

--- In ap-gto@..., "Dean" <icehouse4@> wrote:

Ray,

Dean

Dean,

-Ray

Dean,

You wrote:
to

Thanks,

-Ray

Ray Gralak <groups@...>

Hi Dean,

After a little more research I found out that it is TheSky6 or (the ASCOM TeleAPI interface) that is the culprit! When
you connect to the scope it turns on telescope tracking according to the log file.

-Ray

Sent: Saturday, June 26, 2010 2:22 PM

Ray,

Dean

--- In ap-gto@... <mailto:ap-gto%40yahoogroups.com> , "Dean" <icehouse4@...> wrote:

Ray,

Dean

--- In ap-gto@... <mailto:ap-gto%40yahoogroups.com> , "Dean" <icehouse4@> wrote:

Ray,

Thanks for the analysis. When I go up to the observatory in a couple of weeks I will look at the hand controller
and switch the com
ports on the control box.

Dean

Dean,

I looked at your log file and it looks like tracking was already started when the driver was connected.
Something else,

BTW, here's how the parking status works in the driver: When the mount is parked or unparked the driver writes
that
status to a file. When the driver starts again it reads the file and assumes that the park status is correct but
it also
looks at RA to see if it is not changing, which would mean the mount is tracking. If the driver determines
tracking is

That said there is a new version of firmware in the final tweaking stages that can read Park status (and many
other

-Ray

From: ap-gto@... <mailto:ap-gto%40yahoogroups.com> [mailto:ap-gto@... <mailto:ap-
gto%40yahoogroups.com> ] On Behalf Of Dean
To: ap-gto@... <mailto:ap-gto%40yahoogroups.com>

--- In ap-gto@... <mailto:ap-gto%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:ap-gto%40yahoogroups.com> , "Ray
Gralak"
<groups@> wrote:

Dean,

You wrote:
I brought up the mount (Mathis) through the SKY and the ASCOM driver showed Parked for about 5-6 seconds
then went
to
The driver looks at RA to detect if the mount is tracking or not. Maybe something else in your setup is
starting

Thanks,

-Ray

Mark Acker

Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

--- On Sat, 6/26/10, Ray Gralak <groups@...> wrote:

Subject: RE: [ap-gto] Re: The Sky 6 software and Astro Physics GOTOCP3
Date: Saturday, June 26, 2010, 10:31 PM

Hi Dean,

After a little more research I found out that it is TheSky6 or (the ASCOM TeleAPI interface) that is the culprit! When

you connect to the scope it turns on telescope tracking according to the log file.

-Ray

Ray,
Dean
--- In ap-gto@... <mailto:ap-gto%40yahoogroups.com> , "Dean" <icehouse4@...> wrote:
Ray,
Dean
--- In ap-gto@... <mailto:ap-gto%40yahoogroups.com> , "Dean" <icehouse4@> wrote:
Ray,
Thanks for the analysis. When I go up to the observatory in a couple of weeks I will look at the hand controller
and switch the com

Dean
Dean,
I looked at your log file and it looks like tracking was already started when the driver was connected.
Something else,

BTW, here's how the parking status works in the driver: When the mount is parked or unparked the driver writes
that

status to a file. When the driver starts again it reads the file and assumes that the park status is correct but
it also

looks at RA to see if it is not changing, which would mean the mount is tracking. If the driver determines
tracking is

That said there is a new version of firmware in the final tweaking stages that can read Park status (and many
other

-Ray
From: ap-gto@... <mailto:ap-gto%40yahoogroups.com> [mailto:ap-gto@... <mailto:ap-
--- In ap-gto@... <mailto:ap-gto%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:ap-gto%40yahoogroups.com> , "Ray
Gralak"

<groups@> wrote:
Dean,
You wrote:
I brought up the mount (Mathis) through the SKY and the ASCOM driver showed Parked for about 5-6 seconds
then went

to
The driver looks at RA to detect if the mount is tracking or not. Maybe something else in your setup is
starting

Thanks,
-Ray

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Ray Gralak <groups@...>

Hi Mark,

Ray wrote:
After a little more research I found out that it is TheSky6 or
(the ASCOM TeleAPI interface) that is the culprit! When you
connect to the scope it turns on telescope tracking according
to the log file.
Mark wrote:
The driver's just doing what it's been told to do but here are a few possibilities:

1) You could turn off tracking in the driver's panel after you connect (but that's not actually preventing it, which is what you asked).

2) I could put an option in the driver to confirm Tracking=true state changes by popping up a dialog asking the user to click when ready to continue. This might be a nuisance though if someone forgets to turn it off during an automating imaging session and their imaging session never starts.

3) The driver could keep tracking off only if the mount is in the parked state. The problem is knowing *if* the mount is in the parked state. There is no certain way for the driver to tell what the previous park state was. For instance the user could have unparked the mount by using the hand controller to slew to an object.

I'm leaning toward option 3 but I would like to think more about how to do it and the possible ramifications. If anyone else has any other ideas please post them.

-Ray

Dean <icehouse4@...>

Ray,

Thanks..I was talking to Kevin Iversen from the UNC SKYWATCH program from Chapel Hill. He was at the observatory that evening and told me he saw the same thing as you did from the SKY 6 program. He will be getting in touch with you for some other things that he has found in the driver. I told him to get into this group and then send you a message with his findings.

Thanks again for your help.

Dean

Hi Dean,

-Ray

Ray,

Dean

Ray,

Dean

Ray,

and switch the com

Dean

Dean,

Something else,

that
it also
tracking is

other

-Ray

Gralak"
<groups@> wrote:

Dean,

You wrote:
then went
to
starting

Thanks,

-Ray

Dean <icehouse4@...>

Ray,

What Kevin told me was the fac that the Sky 6 thinks when you connect that you are ready to control the telescope and track. It does this automatically. Unless the Sky 6 had a way to park and unpark, it will start tracking.

Dean

--- In ap-gto@..., Mark Acker <markacker@...> wrote:

--- On Sat, 6/26/10, Ray Gralak <groups@...> wrote:

Subject: RE: [ap-gto] Re: The Sky 6 software and Astro Physics GOTOCP3
Date: Saturday, June 26, 2010, 10:31 PM

Hi Dean,

-Ray

Ray,
Dean
Ray,
Dean
Ray,
and switch the com

Dean
Dean,
Something else,

that

it also

tracking is

other

-Ray
Gralak"

<groups@> wrote:
Dean,
You wrote:
then went

to
starting

Thanks,
-Ray