New Computers?

gilchriswa

I'm almost certain this question has been asked before, and I hate to bother the group with this, but I could not find the right messages with a brief search. I will need to replace my old laptop computer soon, and none of the new ones has a serial or parallel port. They also run Vista instead of the old XP-Pro I've been using. I assume that there are port expanders or such that plug into a USB port and provide an RS-232 serial port for connecting to my AP-1200 mount. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations relating to these devices? Do any of them have parallel ports? I still use an old parallel port ST-7 as an autoguider. Is Windows Vista compatible with The Sky-6 and CCDSoft software I am currently using, or will I need to get an update on those programs? Thanks for any help that anyone can provide.

Allen Gilchrist

Charles Sinsofsky <charles@...>

Hello,

I have loaded sky6 to a vista computer works fine. As to ccd soft 5, I
have a copy that came with my STL11000M camera and its does not work with
vista. After loading the application a dll Apogee32.dll does not exist and
it aborts the application. I am trying to find exactly what the apogee32.dll
does and why since this was a fresh install 'done multiple times just to be
sure' fails each time, so I would say till software bisque announces a fix
for this I would suggest to say that ccd soft does not work very well with
vista.so far.

If you are going to use a usb port expander with any SBIG usb based camera,
make sure it is iso-syncronous compatible, if not you will not be able to
get images processed from the camera to your pc.

Just some thoughts.

Thank you

Charles

I'm almost certain this question has been asked before, and I hate to bother
the group with this, but I could not find the right messages with a brief
search. I will need to replace my old laptop computer soon, and none of the
new ones has a serial or parallel port. They also run Vista instead of the
old XP-Pro I've been using. I assume that there are port expanders or such
that plug into a USB port and provide an RS-232 serial port for connecting
to my AP-1200 mount. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations
relating to these devices? Do any of them have parallel ports? I still use
an old parallel port ST-7 as an autoguider. Is Windows Vista compatible with
The Sky-6 and CCDSoft software I am currently using, or will I need to get
an update on those programs? Thanks for any help that anyone can provide.

Allen Gilchrist

dannysperry

Hi Allen,

Will your new laptop have Vista 32-bit, Vista 64-bit, Win 7 32-bit, or Win 7 64-bit? With the 32-bit varieties you won't have much trouble, if any. The 64-bit versions present some problems but I haven't encountered any real serious compatibility issues yet.

TheSky6, CCDSoft v5, MaxImDL v5, and ImagesPlus v3.75+ all work fine with Vista and Win 7 64-bit. For CCDSoft, you'll need to make sure you get the 64-bit driver checker. But with your parallel camera, that could present a different issue all together. The Quatech SPP-100 works great under Win XP but I don't know if there are 64-bit drivers AND most new laptops don't come with PCMCIA ports anymore. That one will take a bit more research. You might want to see if SBIG has any recommendations.

The serial-to-USB situation is no problem (for the mount, focusers, etc.). Get some adapters from FTDI. They work great with the 64-bit OSes and they maintain their serial port assignments when you plug them into a different USB port. You can plug a few into a USB hub then just have 1 cable going to the laptop.

Hope that helps.

Best,
Danny

--- In ap-gto@yahoogroups.com, "gilchriswa" <gilchris@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the responses. I should have said Windows 7. I'm an OS behind. I'll check on the Software Bisque list about CCDSoft.

Allen