Transporting counterweights- best method?

Kent Kirkley

In a message dated 10/1/09 7:50:33 AM, fernandorivera3@yahoo.com writes:

Greetings! This summer, I took delivery of brand new AP 1200GTO mount. My
setup will be portable, not permanent. I will be ordering different size
counterweights for my mount soon. What I want to know is what is preferred
for transporting counterweights to favorite dark site? Should I use the
boxes they come in, or perhaps a pluck foam case? Any suggestions or
recommendations are appreciated.
Fernando:

You can use the boxes they came in or whatever type case you like....but if
you use 'foam' be sure it is 'high density' foam. 'Pluck' type foam is low
density and will almost immediately compress providing no cushioning. The
foam in the original shipping boxes is high density.

Also, depending on how many counterweights you have, the total weight can
quickly add up and strain hinges, handles, latches, etc.

Kent Kirkley

fernandorivera3

Greetings! This summer, I took delivery of brand new AP 1200GTO mount. My setup will be portable, not permanent. I will be ordering different size counterweights for my mount soon. What I want to know is what is preferred for transporting counterweights to favorite dark site? Should I use the boxes they come in, or perhaps a pluck foam case? Any suggestions or recommendations are appreciated.

Regards,

Fernando

Dean S

I have used a couple different things.

Soft tool bags work with the weights wrapped up inside in towels. These
have heavy duty strap handles. www.sears.com and search for tool bags.

And now I put the weights in a couple cheap insulated softsided 6 pack
coolers that I got as freebies from vendors and stick them inside the tool
bag for added protection.

Dean

Greetings! This summer, I took delivery of brand new AP 1200GTO mount. My
setup will be portable, not permanent. I will be ordering different size
counterweights for my mount soon. What I want to know is what is preferred
for transporting counterweights to favorite dark site? Should I use the
boxes they come in, or perhaps a pluck foam case? Any suggestions or
recommendations are appreciated.

Regards,

Fernando

AstroDad <ccurran@...>

This is what I use:

http://www.planetcurran.com/img/truck/_DSC3490-640.jpg

cheers & beers,
Chris

Joe Zeglinski

Didn't realize your "El Capitan" mount was transportable :-)

Joe