New Book, "Best Targets for Astrophotography" on AP mounts

Robin Kerr

Hi group,
After ten years of using AP mounts for astrophotography, I have put together a book of my experiences, published by Springer. All 115 images in the book were taken on AP mounts, including the AP400GTO, the AP900GTO, and the AP1200GTO. I used a variety of telescopes and camera lenses with focal lengths from 180mm to 2300mm.

The full title is, "The 100 Best Targets for Astrophotography: A Monthly Guide to CCD Imaging with Amateur Telescopes". For each target, the book walks you through the steps of choosing an object, acquiring the image, and then processing the data. A second section of the book, entitled "Getting Started in CCD Imaging," begins with the paragraph, "The most important element in astrophotography is accurate tracking....one minute of poor tracking ruins the most pristine view." The excellent performance of the AP mounts is described.

The book is available from a variety of book vendors and some astronomy stores. Amazon.com allows a preview of several pages of the book, and has reader reviews.
http://www.amazon.com/100-Best-Targets-Astrophotography-Telescopes/product-revie\;ws/1441906029/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1
If you find the book useful, please let me know.

Ruben Kier
http://www.stardoctor.org/targets

gremlinastro

Hi Ruben,

Many congrats on what looks like an excellent book. Can you please confirm what latitude(s) you took the shots from.

Thanks,
--
*Dave Grennan
*Raheny Observatory (MPC J41) - Dublin Ireland

http://www.amazon.com/100-Best-Targets-Astrophotography-Telescopes/product-revie <http://www.amazon.com/100-Best-Targets-Astrophotography-Telescopes/product-revie>&#92;ws/1441906029/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1
If you find the book useful, please let me know.

Ruben Kier
http://www.stardoctor.org/targets <http://www.stardoctor.org/targets>

Robin Kerr

Hi Dave,
All photos were taken from latitude 42 N. The 100 Best Targets do not dip below Dec of -25 degrees. If you are imaging from Dublin (latitude 53 N), almost all of the objects should be easily accessible. Only a few, like NGC 253, M8, M20, and M22, would be very challenging.
Good luck,
Ruben

stardoctor5 wrote:

[...]

garyemc

Ruben,

Just ordered it. Will give you feedback after going through it.

gary

--- In ap-gto@yahoogroups.com, "stardoctor5" <stardoctor5@...> wrote:

[...]

msholdenct

Congratulations on the book Ruben. The images are stunning, and the advice you give on each object looks helpful. Now I just need clear sky and free nights.

Regards,

Mark

[...]

Dean S

Very nice Ruben, wish I would have had this earlier in my imaging hobby.

It looks like it covers most all of the popular targets season by season,
and a few I have somehow missed over the years. I always wished for a book
like this giving a 'schedule' of when objects where at their best.

A great idea book for those nights when there seems to be 'nothing' in the
sky to image or observe. Good imaging pointers and advice along the way
too. Your quick processing tips should be helpful as well.

I would recommend this book, and already have to several people.

Dean

[...]

Dear Ruben,

Congratulations on your new book! We are very pleased that your AP
mounts served you well as the tracking platform. I just ordered a few
copies of the book for us and our staff. We look forward to seeing your
images.

Clear Skies!

Marj Christen
Vice President

[...]