Robin Casady tandem bar

snightingale40 <snightingale40@...>

Hi,

I just got the bright idea that my AP1200 would handle both my C11 and
AP130GT nicely as a side-by-side arrangement (picture Napolean Dynamite
saying "SWEEEET!!!)---but when I go to Robin's site I get a message
about a broken link.

Can anyone else confirm the problem?

Steve

Eric Baumgartner

Hi, Steve:

I'm getting that, too. Maybe the server is down.

Eric Baumgartner
Redding, CT

On 3/1/09 10:50 AM, "snightingale40" <snightingale40@...> wrote:

Hi,

I just got the bright idea that my AP1200 would handle both my C11 and
AP130GT nicely as a side-by-side arrangement (picture Napolean Dynamite
saying "SWEEEET!!!)---but when I go to Robin's site I get a message
about a broken link.

Can anyone else confirm the problem?

Steve

Joe Mize

Steve, my Links to Robin's web site don't work either this morning. Maybe he's working on something, or there could be a problem. A couple months ago worked with him about a similar problem. It turned out to be a DNS Server out there failing look-up forward. Try doing a Trace Rout, "tracert www.robincasady.com " from your CMD Line. Maybe there's another DNS problem again. Here's Robin's eMail address...joe :)

Astro@...

I just ran a "tracert www.robincasady.com", from Chiefland, FL. It timed out after 22 hops at "Mbay-GoNet-3T1.mbay.net [206.55.249.49]"

"May You Go Among The Imperishable Stars"
Joe Mize www.cav-sfo.com
Chiefland Astronomy Village, Fla.

I just got the bright idea that my AP1200 would handle both my
C11 and
AP130GT nicely as a side-by-side arrangement (picture Napolean
Dynamite
saying "SWEEEET!!!)---but when I go to Robin's site I get a
message
about a broken link.

Can anyone else confirm the problem?

Steve

ancient.sull

If you are considering a tandem bar, consider a Triad bar instead. I
use a Triad bar, even though I only have at most two OTAs because with
the Triad bar you can put the heaviest scope directly over the center
of the mount. The Triad makes it simple to balance things in all three
axes even running a very heavy scope in the center and a light
refractor guidescope and guide camera on the side.

Drew Sullivan

--- In ap-gto@..., "snightingale40" <snightingale40@...>
wrote:

Hi,

I just got the bright idea that my AP1200 would handle both my C11
and
AP130GT nicely as a side-by-side arrangement

snightingale40 <snightingale40@...>

Great suggestion Drew---thanks!

Steve

--- In ap-gto@..., "ancient.sull" <ancient.sull@...>

wrote:

Hi,

I just got the bright idea that my AP1200 would handle both my
C11
and
AP130GT nicely as a side-by-side arrangement

Dave Weaver

See the photos/dsw for a picture of my AP1200 with TRIAD and FS-102 / TOA-130 / C11.

-Dave

wrote:

Hi,

I just got the bright idea that my AP1200 would handle both my
C11
and
AP130GT nicely as a side-by-side arrangement

Sabahattin Bilsel

Hi Steve,

Here my custom solution for 3 scopes or even more :) on AP1200.
http://www.pbase.com/sabbilsel/image/109248131

Next 2 images top view from both sides

Regards,
Sab.

--- In ap-gto@yahoogroups. com, "ancient.sull" <ancient.sull@ >

wrote:

Hi,

I just got the bright idea that my AP1200 would handle both my
C11
and
AP130GT nicely as a side-by-side arrangement

snightingale40 <snightingale40@...>

Thanks Sab and Dave,

Well, I was assuming I'd do the C11 with one of my refractors, now
you all got me thinking of the triad.

I own three OTA's:

C11
AP160
AP130 Gran Turismo.

Don't have the weights handy, but what do you think of ALL THREE on a
triad bar on my AP1200? I'm not sure there is a reason to do this,
but I could always just have two OTA's on it.

I'm replacing my C11 tube with carbon fiber this week. Just the
thought of all this stuff on my AP1200 makes me.....well, never mind.

But seriously, do you think this would work? I'm purely visual at
this time, so some slight flexure could be tolerated, but may try
some imaging at some point. I keep my set-up permanently in a roll-
off roof observatory.

Steve

wrote:

Hi,

I just got the bright idea that my AP1200 would handle both
my
C11
and
AP130GT nicely as a side-by-side arrangement

snightingale40 <snightingale40@...>

Also---

How adjustable is the center position of the triad bar? I would need
the center scope (the 160) offset slightly to fit with the C11; the
center to center is a little over 10 inches.

Thanks,

Steve

wrote:

[...]

The positions on the TRIAD bar are fixed, although Robin may be able to make you a
custom bar. I have my TOA-130 next to the C11, you could probably put the 160 on the
end opposite the C11. I don't think it will fit next to it.

How much do the AP scopes weigh? You might need a counterweight extension bar, but if
you are just visual I doubt you will have a problem. I have probably at least 12 lbs of
imaging equipment in my setup.

I had flexure problems using the TGAD with the TRIAD, once I removed it and mounted
my scopes directly to the TRIAD, I don't seem to have any issues. I am currently using the
TOA-130 for imaging and the FS-102 for guiding.

-Dave

wrote:

[...]

Hi Dave,

I'm not clear on what you mean by:

"...mounted my scopes directly to the TRIAD"

You aren't using dovetail saddles?

I added up the weight and with rings, etc. should be under 80 pounds;
the mount is rated for 140 so that's OK, especially for visual.

The bad news is that I believe my roll-off roof will be blocked from
opening by the added "width" of the set up when parked. It's the kind
of thing I like to think of BEFORE rigging all this stuff together.
If so (I'll measure later) I'll either go back to the tandem bar if
that will work, or take a chainsaw to the end of the roof!

Steve

--- In ap-gto@..., "Dave" <taka@...> wrote:

The positions on the TRIAD bar are fixed,
The positions where you put the OTAs/saddles relative to the Triad
Bar are fixed but the position of the Triad Bar relative to the mount
is not fixed. You can slide it right left in the saddle.

You can slide the Tandem Bar right-left as well, but with a Tandem
Bar (depending in part on the length of the saddle) you can't move so
far as to get one of the two saddles directly over the center of the
mount.

With a Triad Bar (because one of the three positions is in the
middle) you _can_ put one scope right over the mount.

That is a help if you have a really heavy scope+ camera and a really
light scope+camera.

Drew S.

Dave Weaver

I mean mounted with saddle plates (also Robin Cassady's). The TGAD is a special plate
that allows adjustment of the guide scope, but it introduces too much flexure.

-Dave

wrote:

[...]

I should add that I had to go from an ATS 48" pier to an ATS 39" pier to keep the clearance
with my roll-off roof. So you definitely want to measure carefully.

-Dave

wrote:

[...]

Thanks to Dave and all those who responded!

My pier is a big honkin' 10 inch steel pipe bolted to a concrete
pier; I could remove it and shorten it except I got the bright idea
of putting concrete in it!

The tandem bar will work with some very minor modification to the
roof; the triad would involve modifying the end of the roof with a
hinging section. So my thinking now is go with the tandem, and having
just two scopes at a time to play with. Such problems!!!! ;>)

Thanks again for all the input, and if anyone has something to add,
please do.

Steve