AP1200-database corruption?

snightingale40 <snightingale40@...>

Hi Folks,

I had a database corruption a few years ago (2?), and successfully
repaired it by replacing keypad battery and downloading new database
from AP.

Tonight I had problems again, but it seems different. First, when I
turned on my power supply got a string of "clicks" as if I had a bad
power connection. Tightened everything up, and it all seemed good.
Tried a goto to M42 and the mount headed off to a random direction.
Manually slewed to M42 and "zeroed it"; tried a slew to M1 and again
it headed off in a random direction. Stopped the slew, punched in
M42, and it went back fine. Tried a slew to Rigel and again no go.
Tried to park it and again, a random slew.

The coordinates displayed for these objects seem correct, and I'm not
getting any weird "below horizon" messages, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Joe Mize

Hi George, sorry to hear you're having problems. Last Summer I had the same exact problem happen. A simple download and installation of my Keypad fixed it right away. After all was done I chocked this oddity up to some bit getting flipped somehow.

Interestingly, as soon as the database was downloaded I had full use of my Keypad even before doing the Rest to wipe and load the old/new database. After I did the Reset I was supposed to have lost all my settings but they were retained correctly.

Have fun, it was simpler than I remembered. For my old upgraded GTOCP1 I had to use a DB9, this time I used a DB9->USB Converter. I guess A-P made some changes for CP3...joe :)

"May You Go Among The Imperishable Stars"
Joe Mize www.cav-sfo.com
Chiefland Astronomy Village, Fla.

[...]

Ooops! I got mixed up Steve...joe :P

[...]

Thanks Joe,

I've been called a lot worse than "George". Like when I told my wife
I wanted the new 3600 mount!

Was your problem due to a weak battery?

Interestingly my RA and Dec coordinates displayed by the hand
controller seem to be correct for the couple of M objects I checked;
I'll check again later. Also, I'll take some time today to clean the
contacts as per instructions Howard H gave awhile back.

Downloading the database was easy on my old computer, but with my
newer Vista system I get a message that I'm missing "mscomm32.ocx",
and have had no luck installing it. I haven't yet purchased a USB-
serial converter which I will also need.

But so far, it's not totally obvious to me that database corruption
is the problem. But one thing is sure; with AP's support (and the
help from this group) I'll be up and running again at some point! And
in the meantime, my AP1200 has setting circles (even though with
today's electronics, they are no longer needed!) ;>)

Steve

--- In ap-gto@..., "JoeMize" <jmize@...> wrote:

[...]

Nope Steve, my 01-2007 GTOCP3 doesn't need a new battery. Roland expects batteries to last 10yrs or more, he related a story once where an early CP1 is still chugging along on its original battery.

Make sure you use the correct DB9 Port as detailed in the instructions.

Ahhh, Vista. Howard at A-P should be able to help. I'd bet you're not the only person who has had that problem. Give him a call Monday...joe :)

[...]

In a message dated 2/15/2009 8:51:28 AM Central Standard Time,
snightingale40@... writes:

But so far, it's not totally obvious to me that database corruption
is the problem. But one thing is sure; with AP's support (and the
help from this group) I'll be up and running again at some point! And
in the meantime, my AP1200 has setting circles (even though with
today's electronics, they are no longer needed!) ;>)
Set your keypad to Autostart "NO". Then turn off power. Place the telescope
into Park1 position (pointing to northern horizon). Turn on the power. Go thru
the startup procedure and do a "Start from Park1". Now slew to any object that
is up (Sun, Moon, Planets, or reference stars). Center the object, do a Rcal
and then slew to other objects.

You problem may simply be that you started the telescope on the wrong side of
the meridian, and therefore it tried to go to the objects with the scope
underneath the mount. When in doubt, before doing anything else, ALWAYS do the
above steps to get your mount back into normal operating mode.

Rolando

**************
A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2
easy steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1218822736x1201267884/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072%26hmpgID=62%2
6bcd=febemailfooterNO62)

Roland Christen

In a message dated 2/16/2009 10:13:21 AM Central Standard Time,
J.Zeglinski@... writes:

Do you see any merit in perhaps doing the initial setup, as you describe
for Park-1, below, but using Park-2 position instead?
No, there is no provison in the keypad for starting from Park2. The reason
Park 1 is used is because it is a reference position which also sets your
latitude.

Rolando

**************
A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2
easy steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1218822736x1201267884/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072%26hmpgID=62%2
6bcd=febemailfooterNO62)

Joe Zeglinski

Hi Roland,

Do you see any merit in perhaps doing the initial setup, as you describe for Park-1, below, but using Park-2 position instead?

For some reason, I feel more confident in "levelling" the OTA during the initial balancing stage, and then position it pointing east, using a bubble level, before "resuming from Park-2". Using Park-1, there is less assurance that the OTA is absolutely aligned on either axis, reference zero.

I have the feeling that the bubble level gives me a more accurate, though still as yet not precise, "initial mechanical reference", than just pointing the scope, "sort of", toward the pole.

Joe

snightingale40@... writes:

Set your keypad to Autostart "NO". Then turn off power. Place the telescope
into Park1 position (pointing to northern horizon). Turn on the power. Go thru
the startup procedure and do a "Start from Park1". Now slew to any object that
is up (Sun, Moon, Planets, or reference stars). Center the object, do a Rcal
and then slew to other objects.

Joe Zeglinski

Thanks Roland,

I wasn't aware of the latitude connection in the setup.

Joe