Need Help Slewing issues

Roland Christen

In a message dated 9/30/2008 1:37:45 PM Central Daylight Time,
cluster@... writes:

For some reason, when the mount is told to move from the east side to
the west side from TheSky6, it moves a few degrees and quits.
Most likely you do not have a cable problem. The fact that the mount does
respond to any commands from The Sky means that signals are coming through. The
Sky will tell you if there is a problem with communications, and since it is
not telling you this, then you have proper communications set up. Any move
command is just a simple software word consisting of an RA and Dec co-ordinate
followed by a move symbol. It is very straight forward. If any part of the
software word is missing or messed up, the mount servo will simply ignore it and not
move whatsoever, not even one arc second.

How exactly are you telling the mount to move from one side to the other via
TheSky?

Rolando

**************
Looking for simple solutions to your real-life financial
challenges? Check out WalletPop for the latest news and information, tips
and calculators.

In a message dated 9/30/2008 2:55:45 PM Central Daylight Time,
cluster@... writes:

The telescope is pointing to the star Capella and I tell the Sky6 to
slew to M31 which is on the western part of the sky. When the
telecope moves, the white cursor in the Sky jumps down to the low
southeastern area and moves with the Scope for about 10 degrees. If
I tell the sky to move back to Capella, it does this ok.

If I reverse this and move from the M31 to Capella, the scope moves
from west to east ok.

Also, this did not happen in th eearly evening, later when it was
about 40F.
A move command is not a continuous command. It is sent only once to the
mount, after which there is no more move command. In other words, there is not a
continuous series of commands being sent to the servo while the mount is moving.
It gets one command only at the very beginning right after you click on the
object which you want to move to. The servo takes this intital command and does
the slewing to that object, whatever the command was in RA and DEC. The fact
that it went somewhere other than where you pointed does not mean that the
mount is lost. It simply means that it received a command to move to that spot
where it was asked to move, which may very well be NOT where you think it should
have moved to. When you asked it via your software to move back to Capella,
the mount went to that RA/DEC co-ordinate because it was told to go to that
exact co-ordinate. The fact that it went there tells you that the mount is not
lost.

It is very possible that your laptop is having an issue at the low temp. The
mount does not care what the temperature is, and will work even in extreme
sub-zero arctic conditions. However, laptops can and do mess up when the temp is
low, and it is possible that the numbers being sent to the mount were not the
correct ones for M31, rather they might have been scrambled up for whatever
reason - inside your laptop. The only way to know this is to monitor your port
traffic with a program such as PortMon. That way you can tell what is actually
being sent to the mount, and you and I don't have to play any guessing games.

Rolando

**************
Looking for simple solutions to your real-life financial
challenges? Check out WalletPop for the latest news and information, tips
and calculators.

In a message dated 9/30/2008 3:49:49 PM Central Daylight Time,
lineman_16735@... writes:

I had never had this issue before 6.058 was installed. Could have been a
fluke but this is thwe only thing that has changed in my system since
receiving the mount.
PortMon would tell you what's happening.

Rolando

**************
Looking for simple solutions to your real-life financial
challenges? Check out WalletPop for the latest news and information, tips
and calculators.

Dean Salman <cluster@...>

My friend got a new (used) AP 1200 goto mount

For some reason, when the mount is told to move from the east side to
the west side from TheSky6, it moves a few degrees and quits. It has
no problem moving west to east flip. The keypad works so it is an
issued with the serial ports or from the computer to the mount. I
tried both ports on the mount and also put the mount on a new charged
battery instead of the adaptor. I am going to change out the serial
cable but if that does not work them maybe Keith needs to change the
same chips I did on my mount that control the serial ports on the
mount. It also has the D chip so an upgrade to the E would be nice,
but I suspect that is not causing an issue. The work around is to get
up and watch the flip, if it fails, use the keypad to move the mount so
that the imaging can continue.

Dean (at Okie-Tex Star Party)

Larry Owings <lowings@...>

Dean,

I have seen the same thing when I use ACP with its ASCOM hub. I sometimes have to clock goto up to four times to get to the final destination. I have the latest revision of the chip in the AP mount.
When I connect TheSky directly to the AP1200 mount I don't see the problem.
I also would be interested to see if anyone else has experienced the same problem.

Larry

cluster@... writes:

[...]

chris provost <lineman_16735@...>

Hi Dean,

I had a similiar issue last night with my new 900GTO.  Although I was not crossing the meridian.  A slew command was issued with The Sky 6 Pro.  The mount moved a few degrees and stopped.  I issued another command and the same thing happened.  I parked the mount and rebooted The Sky and everything went back to normal.  I wonder if this may be a bug in the latest version of The Sky (which includes the recal command)

Chris

cluster@... writes:

[...]

can it be the chip that controls the serial ports

cluster@ writes:

[...]

6.057 works for me, not sure if 6.058 broke it although that is what
was changed.

--- In ap-gto@..., chris provost <lineman_16735@...>

************ **
Looking for simple solutions to your real-life financial
challenges? Check out WalletPop for the latest news and
information, tips
and calculators.
(http://www.walletpo p.com/?NCID= emlcntuswall0000 0001)

chris provost <lineman_16735@...>

I'll try it out next time Roland.  Thanks.

Chris

lineman_16735@ yahoo.com writes:

I had never had this issue before 6.058 was installed. Could have been a
fluke but this is thwe only thing that has changed in my system since
receiving the mount.
PortMon would tell you what's happening.

Rolando

************ **
Looking for simple solutions to your real-life financial
challenges? Check out WalletPop for the latest news and information, tips
and calculators.
(http://www.walletpo p.com/?NCID= emlcntuswall0000 0001)

John <john.lottes@...>

Chris,
If you do have a laptop temp problem there are a couple of solutions
you can try.
My old Dimension doesn't like cold at all. I put a reptile pad on the
bottom. Not incredibly warm but just enough to keep it happy and it
self temp regulating. If I'm away from AC power then a put a hand
warmer pad on the bottom. They're good for about 4 hrs. Disposable or
you can get the reusable kind (more $$ to begin but cheaper in the
long run). Both work. Just try not to block the fan vent.

HTH John. ;-)

--- In ap-gto@..., chris provost <lineman_16735@...> wrote:

I'll try it out next time Roland.  Thanks.

Chris

In a message dated 9/30/2008 3:49:49 PM Central Daylight Time,
lineman_16735@ yahoo.com writes:

I had never had this issue before 6.058 was installed. Could have
been a
fluke but this is thwe only thing that has changed in my system since
receiving the mount.
PortMon would tell you what's happening.

chris provost <lineman_16735@...>

Hi John,

Nope no temp problem with my laptop yet:-)  I was just responding to Dean's issue.  I had completely forgotten that the same thing happened to me as well.  It was about 45°F here last night, and I've had no problems below zero.

Chris

In a message dated 9/30/2008 3:49:49 PM Central Daylight Time,
lineman_16735@ yahoo.com writes:

I had never had this issue before 6.058 was installed. Could have
been a
fluke but this is thwe only thing that has changed in my system since
receiving the mount.
PortMon would tell you what's happening.

Bill Bradford

Dean,

Where are you located? I am also at Okie-Tex.

We have two pink flamingos at our site. We are in the middle of the field and on its north one third.

Bill

[...]

Thanks for the information. Last night I gave him my backup serial
cable and for the first time had no issues, temps were about the same
if not colder. His cable did not look to be the best but also was
very long, maybe 25ft. I don't think distance is an issue and as I
said, even though the calbe seemed ok, it looked worned out.

cluster@... writes:

[...]

Joe Zeglinski

Hi Dean.

F.Y.I.
In the olden days of mainframes and minicomputers, serial cables were commonly sold upto a maximum 25 foot standard length, at 1200 baud I believe, because that was just about the "limit of reliable communications" (ANS standard), depending on baud rate - unless you ordered special "shielded twisted pair", which typically would go 50 to 100 feet at high baud rates of about 9.6 KB, (or you used four wire or even two wire current loop comms, which were good for a couple of miles, or even differential pair RS-432/429 ).

So, I am not surprised that the 25 foot cable dropped command characters to the servo, especially at 19.2 KB, or even 9600B from the laptop.

Joe

Thanks for the information. Last night I gave him my backup serial
cable and for the first time had no issues, temps were about the same
if not colder. His cable did not look to be the best but also was
very long, maybe 25ft. I don't think distance is an issue and as I
said, even though the calbe seemed ok, it looked worned out.

Dean Salman <cluster@...>

I think it was the condition more than the length, I suspected that
length was an issue. In addition, only one night was good so we will
see how it does the rest of the week.

--- In ap-gto@..., "Joseph Zeglinski" <J.Zeglinski@...>