question re a preplanned observing session...

Roland Christen

In a message dated 9/17/2008 6:47:14 AM Central Daylight Time,
phil.dombrowski@... writes:

Dear Howard, Roland & any group member that knows the answer to my
question....
If I am doing a nightly sequence of variable star observations is
there a way to have a preplanned (pre-programmed) sequence of targets
so that I can simply go from one star to the next without having to
enter the RA & DEC of each target star? On any given night I may want
to do 15 variable stars and it would be most desirable to go from one
star to the next without the re entering of coordinates. Earlier
Vstar observers would likely tell me that a "good" observer would just
know how to get from one star to the next from my knowledge of the
night sky! However, I would like to take advantage of the AP1200's
full capabilities. Many of my target stars are in fields were I am
looking for a target that my only be 12th mag or fainter. A feature
that may already be on the AP1200 that I am unaware of would be rather
"cushy".
I very much appreciate your response.
Phil Dombrowski
Glastonbury, CT
There is no function like that in the AP servo or keypad. However, what you
are describing is a scripting program. I know Bob Denny sells one. You will
need a laptop to run a scripting program. Anyone out there have any other
software recommendations?

Rolando

**************
Psssst...Have you heard the news? There's a new fashion
blog, plus the latest fall trends and hair styles at StyleList.com.

Digital Sky Voice, which we used to provide with our mounts, also has a
planned observing feature.

Rolando

**************

philipdombrowski <phil.dombrowski@...>

[...]

Dean S

Hi Phil,

Have you considered an automation program like CCDCommander? It is very
easy to learn, will do multiple targets, focus with Focusmax, plate solve,
etc.

I had it doing that my first night and got all objects in the center of the
CCD. The program itself is not expensive by todays standards, and Matt
offers a free trial.

Dean

[...]

Mark Galiyano Jr <mgjr@...>

Bob Denny's ACP is an automated imaging system. I think Starry Night allows
the creation of observing lists that could be prepared ahead of time, and
selected and slewed to during the observing session.

Mark

_____

phil.dombrowski@ <mailto:phil.dombrowski%40cox.net> cox.net writes:

[...]

(http://www.stylelis
<http://www.stylelist.com/trends?ncid=aolsty00050000000014>
t.com/trends?ncid=aolsty00050000000014)

Howard Hedlund

The next full version of the keypad firmware, v.4.20 will also have a
"bookmarking" feature that will allow up to 50 objects or custom RA /
Dec coordinates to be assembled into a list like you want. This would
eliminate the need for an external computer. Contact me at A-P for
more information.

Mag. 7 skies!

Howard Hedlund

Astro-Physics, Inc.

815-282-1513

________________________________

[...]

Eric Baumgartner

Hi, Phil:

You might want to acquaint yourself with Paul Rodman's AstroPlanner (see
<http://www.ilangainc.com/astroplanner>). It is an observing planning and
logging application with lots of functionality, including the capacity to
send goto commands to A-P GTO mounts.

You could easily compile an observing plan for your variable star targets on
a given night, sort them by virtually any criterion (culmination time, RA,
constellation, etc.), and then slew to each object from within the
application.

Paul Rodman is the Roland Christen of observing software, in that he
constantly monitors the AstroPlanner users group and responds to questions,
problems, or concerns nearly instantly and with great patience. I can't
recommend the application more highly. (Oh, yes, it also runs on both Mac
and Windows computers!)

Hope this helps,

Eric Baumgartner
Redding, CT

phil.dombrowski@... writes:

[...]

Hank Sielski

Phil,

While I and others are looking forward to the new version (4.20) of the
keypad software, as well as the new AP Control Center, for now, I want to
second Eric's recommendation of AstroPlanner. In its current form, it has
tremendous capabilities. In addition to the pre-planned observing list, it
has more than 125 catalogues that you can download and use with your
studies, so you may not have to id your targets with just RA and Dec. You
can download a free trial version of 1.6.1 (no telescope control in the free
version, I think, though), but if you decide to buy and test out the
telescope control, it doesn't cost much ($35, I think). And if you register
now, I think you'll get a free upgrade to the forthcoming V2 (almost in beta
now), which promises to be even better...and as Eric says, Paul Rodman's
support is right up there with AP's...

Good luck,

Hank

phil.dombrowski@... <phil.dombrowski%40cox.net> writes:

[...]

ayiomamitis

Howard,

This is awesome! Will this feature be replacing an existing list or is it simply an addition?

Anyway, I would certainly be interested in any further details you may have available.

Anthony.

--- In ap-gto@..., "Howard" <howard@...> wrote:

[...]

eugene roeschlein

Hey There
What ever happened to Digital Sky Voice ??
Used it a lot when I first got it and still use it at times
Thought it was really neat
Gene R

--- In ap-gto@..., chris1011@... wrote:

Digital Sky Voice, which we used to provide with our mounts, also
has a
planned observing feature.

ebuehrens

Phil, you should look at SkyTools
(http://www.skyhound.com/skytools.html) by Greg Crinklaw. It's not
clear from your message whether you want to simply avoid punching RA &
DEC info into the keypad for every star, or actually script the mount
to move through a sequence of objects without human intervention, as
would be desirable for a remote observatory. SkyTools does the former
brialliantly, and building an observing list filtered for the
variables you want to observe is very straightforward and rapid. Then
you use the SkyTools "RealTime" plugin, which is an ASCOM driver, to
drive the mount. Slewing from object to object is by pushing the space
bar on your laptop - it could not be easier.

It does not do scripting but there is a new version about to be
released that will emphasize imaging capabilities more - perhaps this
will be added. It's pretty much all I use for visual observing with my
AP1200 and 10" Mak-Cass.

Eric
www.taconicobservatory.com

--- In ap-gto@..., "philipdombrowski"