Mount Will Not Connect To Computer

Bill Bradford

Last night I had connected my Mach1 (new...have had it for 6 weeks) to The Sky, as I usually do, and was testing the connection by using the Move command in The Sky and everything was doing fine.

However, after a minute or so of moving each mount axis, the mount would no longer take any command to move it. I removed power from the mount for 15 secs or so and tried to connect through The Sky and got an error message saying that the AP GoTo was not responding.

I then again removed power from the mount and also re-booted my laptop. Again tried to connect and got the same error. I tried a different laptop and have the same error.

I am connecting through a native serial port using two four foot long serial cables. I tried each cable alone and each cable had the same error. A bad cable is not something that I would expect, although I'm sure that they sometimes fail. But, I would not expect them to fail at the same time.

I have been using the same laptop with the Mach1 for the past 6 weeks w/o a problem.

To me everything points to the mount electronics, somehow. Does that make sense and has anyone had this problem?

I will call AP on Monday but thought that somebody on the group may have seen this problem.

Thanks,
Bill

Scott Hammonds <shammo@...>

Did the mount work as a standalone unit? Did you try slewing the mount
around via the hand paddle, not via the computer?

I had a problem with my Mach 1 once, similar to this. I played around with
the power cable attached to the mount, backed it off about a ¼ turn from
tight and all was well. Never saw the problem again.

Scott

Scott Hammonds

www.creatorsview.com

[...]

Yes, the mount works just fine with everything else. I am using the hand controller for my GoTo's and centering the target with CCDSoft, which is guiding okay.

Will try the power connector as you did. Sometimes it goes as fast as it comes. :>)

Thanks for the post, Scott.

Regards,
Bill

[...]

Richard Seavey

Bill
Do both of the mount's serial inputs act the same? I assume you have tried
both inputs and maybe some different COM settings? Can you connect using
PulseGuide?

Richard

At 07:57 PM 7/5/2008 -0500, you wrote:

[...]

Hi Richard,
Yes, I tried both serial ports on the mount and different Com settings on the computer.

But, I have not tried PulseGuide. Wil give it a try today.

Thanks for the post.

William R. Mattil <wrmattil@...>

Bill Bradford wrote:
Hi Richard,
Yes, I tried both serial ports on the mount and different Com settings on the computer.

But, I have not tried PulseGuide. Wil give it a try today.

Bill,

Why don't you reduce this problem to the lowest common denominator ? Use hyperterminal to speak directly to the serial port. Disconnect the serial cable from the mount itself and jumper pin 2<--->3. What you type should echo right back. Remove jumper and try again. Don't panic if you see to copies of whatever you type with the jumper on. That just means that local echo is on. With local echo off, and no jumper you should not see any data at all. Now connect it up to the mount and see if you start to see any data. If you see unrecognized characters that could just mean the comm parameters need to be adjusted.

This is the quickest way to remove the mount from the equation and prove the serial port and cable are good.

Regards

Bill

Bill Bradford

Hi Bill,
Thanks for the information. Did not know about that test but will try it.

I'm not a "power computer user" :>), but looking at the HyperTerminal Help, it looks as if I will be able to use it as you suggested.

BTW, I tried PulseGuide and get the same error that the mount is not responding.

Regards,
Bill

> Yes, I tried both serial ports on the mount and different Com settings on the computer.
>
> But, I have not tried PulseGuide. Wil give it a try today.

Bill,

Why don't you reduce this problem to the lowest common denominator ? Use
hyperterminal to speak directly to the serial port. Disconnect the
serial cable from the mount itself and jumper pin 2<--->3. What you type
should echo right back. Remove jumper and try again. Don't panic if you
see to copies of whatever you type with the jumper on. That just means
that local echo is on. With local echo off, and no jumper you should not
see any data at all. Now connect it up to the mount and see if you start
to see any data. If you see unrecognized characters that could just mean
the comm parameters need to be adjusted.

This is the quickest way to remove the mount from the equation and prove
the serial port and cable are good.

Regards

Bill

Roland Christen

In a message dated 7/5/2008 7:59:45 PM Central Daylight Time,
bcbradford@... writes:

Last night I had connected my Mach1 (new...have had it for 6 weeks) to The
Sky, as I usually do, and was testing the connection by using the Move
command in The Sky and everything was doing fine.

However, after a minute or so of moving each mount axis, the mount would no
longer take any command to move it. I removed power from the mount for 15
secs or so and tried to connect through The Sky and got an error message
saying that the AP GoTo was not responding.
There are two com ports. Did you try them both? Also, do you have a computer
with a com port or are you using a USB-serial converter? If so, you might
check your converter. The com ports on the mount servo are quite rugged, and it
would not be logical for both of them to fail simultaneaously, in fact they do
not fail very often at all. However, a converter can suddenly fail without
reason.

Rolando

**************
Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for
fuel-efficient used cars.

In a message dated 7/7/2008 4:27:10 PM Central Daylight Time,
bcbradford@... writes:

I tried both com ports on the mount and I am using a native serial port on
my computer.
If there is another AP mount in your area, you might try to see if your
computer will talk to it.

Rolando

**************
Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for
fuel-efficient used cars.

Bill Bradford

I tried both com ports on the mount and I am using a native serial port on my computer. I also tried to connect using another computer and had the same error message.

My set up has two 4 ft long serial cables in series. So, tried each cable separately to make sure that I did not have a cable failure. I figured that it is highly unlikely for two cables to fail at the same time.

I will be back from the dark site tonight and will call you guys tomorrow or the next day about possible additional testing I can do. I will do an echo test (as suggested by a group member) using Windows HyperTerminal to totally rule out the computers and cables. Although, it also seems unlikely that there would be a port problem on both computers.

At the suggestion of another group member I also tried to connect using PulseGuide vs. just The Sky. PulseGuide also gave the mount not responding error message.

The good news is that I am better at using the hand controller now. :>) Unlike my Tak mount, where the loss of computer control would seriously limit my ability to get on faint targets for photography, using the AP hand controller allowed me to image okay with just the additional time necessary to enter RA and Dec for stars not in the controller's catalogue. A small price for the ability to image as usual.

Bill

bcbradford@... writes:

> Last night I had connected my Mach1 (new...have had it for 6 weeks) to The
> Sky, as I usually do, and was testing the connection by using the Move
> command in The Sky and everything was doing fine.
>
> However, after a minute or so of moving each mount axis, the mount would no
> longer take any command to move it. I removed power from the mount for 15
> secs or so and tried to connect through The Sky and got an error message
> saying that the AP GoTo was not responding.

There are two com ports. Did you try them both? Also, do you have a computer
with a com port or are you using a USB-serial converter? If so, you might
check your converter. The com ports on the mount servo are quite rugged, and it
would not be logical for both of them to fail simultaneaously, in fact they do
not fail very often at all. However, a converter can suddenly fail without
reason.

Rolando

**************
Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for
fuel-efficient used cars.

Remember that the cables that you use MUST be the straight-thru type. We now sell 15' cables for the convenience of our customers (so you don't have to run all over town to find them).

Marj Christen
Astro-Physics, Inc
11250 Forest Hills Road
Machesney Park, IL 61115
Phone: 815-282-1513
Fax: 815-282-9847
www.astro-physics.com

bcbradford@gmail. <mailto:bcbradford%40gmail.com> com writes:

[...]

( http://autos. <http://autos.aol.com/used?ncid=aolaut00050000000007> aol.com/used?ncid=aolaut00050000000007)

Howard Hedlund

Two reversing or null modem cables hooked together can effectively make
a single straight through cable. The cables would have only worked
when hooked together in tandem, and could not possibly work
individually. Having only one of the cables fail would then leave you
in a fatal situation. An easy test is to check continuity from each
numbered pin to its corresponding numbered hole at the other end of the
cable.

Mag. 7 skies!

Howard Hedlund

Astro-Physics, Inc.

815-282-1513

________________________________

[...]

Hi Roland,

I feel like a real dunce because I was imaging with a person who had TWO 1200's set up 30 ft. from me last
night. Did not think of the obvious...too much linear thinking on my part. :>)

Regards,
Bill

bcbradford@... writes:

> I tried both com ports on the mount and I am using a native serial port on
> my computer.

If there is another AP mount in your area, you might try to see if your
computer will talk to it.

Rolando

**************
Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for
fuel-efficient used cars.

Bill Bradford

Thanks, Marj.

I have the two 4 ft. cables because my other choice was a single 25 foot cable. I bought them just before leaving to go imaging, so took what I could get at the time. But, that was several imaging sessions ago and I should have replaced them by now and will do so.

However, they have been working fine during multiple imaging sessions. I also tried them individually and still have the problem.

Thanks for the information.

Bill

In a message dated 7/5/2008 7:59:45 PM Central Daylight Time,
bcbradford@gmail. <mailto:bcbradford%40gmail.com> com writes:

> Last night I had connected my Mach1 (new...have had it for 6 weeks) to The
> Sky, as I usually do, and was testing the connection by using the Move
> command in The Sky and everything was doing fine.
>
> However, after a minute or so of moving each mount axis, the mount would no
> longer take any command to move it. I removed power from the mount for 15
> secs or so and tried to connect through The Sky and got an error message
> saying that the AP GoTo was not responding.

There are two com ports. Did you try them both? Also, do you have a computer
with a com port or are you using a USB-serial converter? If so, you might
check your converter. The com ports on the mount servo are quite rugged, and it
would not be logical for both of them to fail simultaneaously, in fact they do
not fail very often at all. However, a converter can suddenly fail without
reason.

Rolando

**************
Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for
fuel-efficient used cars.
( http://autos. <http://autos.aol.com/used?ncid=aolaut00050000000007> aol.com/used?ncid=aolaut00050000000007)

Bill Bradford

Hi Howard,

The cables are regular serial cables and are connected male to female. They were not bought as a set. I used two 4 ft. cables just to get the extra length.

But, I am going to get a single cable to replace them.

Thanks for the post.

Bill

In a message dated 7/5/2008 7:59:45 PM Central Daylight Time,
bcbradford@gmail. <mailto:bcbradford%40gmail.com> com writes:

> Last night I had connected my Mach1 (new...have had it for 6 weeks) to
The
> Sky, as I usually do, and was testing the connection by using the Move

> command in The Sky and everything was doing fine.
>
> However, after a minute or so of moving each mount axis, the mount
would no
> longer take any command to move it. I removed power from the mount for
15
> secs or so and tried to connect through The Sky and got an error
message
> saying that the AP GoTo was not responding.

There are two com ports. Did you try them both? Also, do you have a
computer
with a com port or are you using a USB-serial converter? If so, you
might
check your converter. The com ports on the mount servo are quite rugged,
and it
would not be logical for both of them to fail simultaneaously, in fact
they do
not fail very often at all. However, a converter can suddenly fail
without
reason.

Rolando

**************
Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for
fuel-efficient used cars.
( http://autos. <http://autos.aol.com/used?ncid=aolaut00050000000007
<http://autos.aol.com/used?ncid=aolaut00050000000007> >
aol.com/used?ncid=aolaut00050000000007)

Howard Hedlund

Reversing cables are also often configured male to female in terms of
the plugs on each end. There is often no way to tell by looking at the
cable which type you have. That is why we ended up offering the cables
on our website. It was too difficult and confusing for customers, and
the people at the computer store frequently don't have a clue that more
than one type of cable even exists.

Mag. 7 skies!

Howard Hedlund

Astro-Physics, Inc.

815-282-1513

________________________________

From: ap-gto@... <mailto:ap-gto%40yahoogroups.com>
[...]

Unfortunately, your right about the lack of knowledge in electronics retailers. When I bought the cables I had to tell the clerk what a serial cable was. He thought everything was USB.

I made sure to read the package to see that it said that it was a straight through serial DB 9 cable.

I tried to connect with a different cable today and still have the same problem. I am going to try to connect on a friend's 1200 to get a final determination on the computer and cables.

If I can connect on his mount, I will give you guys a call about next steps with my Control Panel.

Thanks to you guys for the support.

Bill

From: ap-gto@... <mailto:ap-gto%40yahoogroups.com>

Bill Bradford wrote:

I tried to connect with a different cable today and still have the same problem. I am going to try to connect on a friend's 1200 to get a final determination on the computer and cables.

If I can connect on his mount, I will give you guys a call about next steps with my Control Panel.

Bill is it too much trouble to jumper pin 2 to pin 3 and use Hyperterm to at least prove the computers serial port works ?

Bill

Bill Bradford

Hi Bill,
My first attempt at HyperTerminal did not work out well. I'm sure that I did not do something right.

Am going to try again after I finish updating the computer. It has not been connected to the net for a long time, so am updating Windows and the latest The Sky 6 drivers.

Appreciate your input.

Regards,
Bill