1200GTO balance point

John Murphy

Hi all

I am on the waiting list for a 1200GTO mount. I am trying to
calculate approximately how much counter weight I will need and at
what distance.
To do this I need to know:

(1) Distance from RA axis to where the counterweight shaft screws in
(2) The distance from the RA axis to the telescope mounting plate

I assume that how far out of balance the mount is without the
counterweight shaft is too small to be significant.

The length and weight of the counter weight shaft are available on
the web site.

If my memory of high school maths is valid, I can then calculate with:
(M1 * D1) + (Mn * Dn) = (Telescope mass * Telescope distance)

Does anyone know if the 1200GTO is the next stand to go into
production? :-)

Thanks
John Murphy

tucstargzr

There's a spreadsheet in the files section that has all the
dimentions you need. IIRC it's called Lat Calc.

Robin Casady also has a great article on CWs.

--- In ap-gto@..., "John Murphy" <john_and_hong@...>
wrote:

[...]

The spreadsheet looks very useful. Unfortunately, despite there being
lots of dimensions in the spreadsheet, I cannot find the ones I
need... I guess that the dimensions I am after are not dependant on
the latitude setting (the affect of any angle will cancel out).

Thanks
John Murphy