Exact CW shaft diameter

Pawel Lancucki

Hi Gents

My Mach-1 is on order now. As I live in Europe, importing the CWs itself
would not be practical and I am going to order them made locally. This will
be done by a small astro company in Poland which produced for me stainless
steel counterweights for my other mounts.

Now, as I plan to order the CWs in advance, I need to know the exact
diameter of the CW shaft. In the AP manuals this is stated as either 1,125"
(which equals to 28,575mm) or 29mm - almost 0,5mm difference. My experience
shows that I should have 0,3 to 0,4mm clearance between the CW aluminium
insert and the shaft. Therefore, I am not sure what should be the CW
central bore.

Could somebody measure exact diameter of the Mach-1 CW shaft and/or CW
central bore to let me have a better idea on that?

Best regards,

Pawel Lancucki

Joe Zeglinski

Hi Pawel,

Did you man to say that your counterweights will have a "brass" insert - like the AP and others, rather than aluminum?
Just a heads up for you.

Joe

My Mach-1 is on order now. As I live in Europe, importing the CWs itself
would not be practical and I am going to order them made locally. This will
be done by a small astro company in Poland which produced for me stainless
steel counterweights for my other mounts.

Now, as I plan to order the CWs in advance, I need to know the exact
diameter of the CW shaft. In the AP manuals this is stated as either 1,125"
(which equals to 28,575mm) or 29mm - almost 0,5mm difference. My experience
shows that I should have 0,3 to 0,4mm clearance between the CW aluminium
insert and the shaft. Therefore, I am not sure what should be the CW
central bore.

Could somebody measure exact diameter of the Mach-1 CW shaft and/or CW
central bore to let me have a better idea on that?

Best regards,

Pawel Lancucki

Howard Hedlund

Hi Pawel,

The shaft is 1.125" - the 29 mm number was rounded up from 28.575 mm.
We generally allow about 0.010" or 0.25 mm over for the inside bore of
the CW sleeve giving a bore of 1.135" or 28.825 mm.

Mag. 7 skies!

Howard Hedlund

Astro-Physics, Inc.

815-282-1513