From: "Dean S" <dean@...>
To: <ap-gto@...>
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Insurance for astronomy equipment
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 00:30:18 -0400

I just spoke with my home owners insurance this morning, State Farm, and she
said my observatory contents are included with the content coverage of my
house. Cameras, telescopes, computers, etc.

And as long as it is just a hobby there is no additional coverage needed,
assuming it is enough overall. However to be safe I am looking into adding
this as an addition to be absolutely sure there would be no hidden
exclusions.

Dean
www.doghouseastronomy.com

Does anyone have the name of a good insurance company that will
insure
mounts,
telescopes, ccd cameras, ect. Homeowners insurance won't cover it and I
would want full
replacement cost, should a loss occur. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank You

ayiomamitis

Eric,

In my case, they sent an "expert" who validated the costs I specified in the Excel
spreadsheet I had prepared for them and who also confirmed the serial numbers I
provided them and, finally, took two photos of each item (the item itself and then the
serial number).

These photos are also printed in the policy.

Anthony.