AP 1200 got lost again!

Roland Christen

Normally the servo will re-assign a new RA number to the position where you
are only when you send a new RA number along with a Sync or Rcal to the mount.
If that is not happening in your sequence, then perhaps something else is
being sent to the mount. That something might be a new time. If new time data is
being sent to the mount, the RA position is not altered, however the horizon
and overhead hour angle position is changed, and this might place the present
position underneath the mount in the servo logic, so that for the next entry the
mount will try to acquire the object on the wrong side of the mount. I'm
betting that the mount is not lost, it is simply getting a signal from the
external software to redefine the present RA position.

My advice would be to work with Howard here at AP so that he can recreate
your exact conditions with the same software, while monitoring the serial port to
see what commands are being sent by the external software during this cycle
(you can do this too with Portmon).

Rolando

In a message dated 3/21/2008 9:49:46 AM Central Daylight Time,
wskystalker@... writes:

I realize there are situations where the AP mounts can lose it's
orientation...the senarios have been discussed on this group ad
nauseum. It has happened to me multiple times, but I have usually
been able to figure out why.

In this case, however, I am completely baffled. I turned on my 1200
by applying the power...autostart is ON. I link the mount with The
Sky and slew to a star in preparation for evaluating PEC with
PemPro. Once I have centered the desired star, I terminate the link
with The Sky. I open PemPro which has been configured for the
AP1200 and begin collecting data. I collected three cycles of data
for evaluation and generated a PEC curve which was uploaded to the
mount. The mount was then disconnected from PemPro. I went back
and reconnected with The Sky and began to slew to another
target...then IT happened...the telescope started slewing to lala
land and going under the pier, which lately has become somewhat
commonplace. I then have to shut down the mount, reposition in
reference park and reboot to regain orienaion. I repeated this 3
times to see if it would continue to happen...it DID.

Now to answer some of your questions...No, I did not sync OR
recalibrate at any time...No, I did not switch between the computer
control and hand controller...I have read all the posts concerning
the problem with "getting lost" and I fully understand how the mount
works (Roland is quite clear in his explainations of the function of
these wonderful pieces of art and engineering he has produced). I
just get a little frustrated and disappointed when the mount seems
to get a mind of its own during times when I least expect it...I
have to be able to trust the mount since I have a TEC 200 and
STL11000 riding on the back of this guy.

What now?

Norm

**************
Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video on AOL
Home.

Norm

[...]

In a message dated 3/21/2008 2:43:04 PM Central Daylight Time,
daleg@... writes:

If the GTO control box code contains timezone maps to convert GMT/UTC
to local time, then those would indeed need to be updated and a new
firmware released.
The servo calculates the GMT time based on your local co-ordinate input, your
time zone and your local time. It does not convert GMT to local time, rather
the reverse.

In any case, at 8pm local time on any given date, regardless of where on the
earth, the same RA number and the same Horizon/Meridian is almost exactly at
the same place in the sky. It does not appear suddenly elsewhere and cause the
mount to go looking for it underneath. Once a particular position in the sky
is identified as a particular RA number, then all other RA positions are based
on this initial position - until you redefine it as a new RA number, by Sync
or Rcal command. Once it is redefined as a new RA, then all other positions are
also shifted by this same amount. The mount will not change anything by
itself. It requires an external command to redefine the sky map.

Roland Christen

**************
Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the
video on AOL Home.

Dale Ghent

If the GTO control box code contains timezone maps to convert GMT/UTC to local time, then those would indeed need to be updated and a new firmware released.

If his problem magically goes away on April 6 of this year (which would be the old start date of DST in the US and Canada prior to 2007) then time zone mapping in the firmware would certainly be the culprit.

In the OS world where I work, updating the POSIX timezone maps is almost a monthly chore when some government somewhere in the world decides to change their DST observance dates. A-noy-ing.

/dale

On Mar 21, 2008, at 4:01 PM, Marj wrote:

Perhaps this issue is related to the recent daylight savings change. Howard can help you to check this if you need assistance. We have a problem with most of our computers at AP that refuse to keep the correct time since the daylight savings switch occured. The clock insists that it is one hour ahead and despite my efforts to change it, it will adjust back to erroneous time on its own. Very disconcerting to me (for lunch and appts), but a potential disaster with a telescope.

Marj Christen
Astro-Physics, Inc
11250 Forest Hills Road
Machesney Park, IL 61115
Phone: 815-282-1513
Fax: 815-282-9847
www.astro-physics.com

[...]

Dave Weaver

I got tired of trying to figure out what was happening with my AP1200.

I just always resume from ref park 1 and I no longer have a problem. I just do an initial
sync after my first goto to ensure everything is set for the evening. I believe my problems
stemmed from using the hand controller to initialize the mount and switching to TheSky6
to control it from inside the house once it is setup. I was using MaxPoint with TheSky6 so
I think that made matters worse.

I wish we had a serial port on the hand controller so everything would go through the
hand controller. While we are at it, how about supporting a GPS protocol through a serial
port so we can use a GPS unit to ensure the clock / location is set correctly in the hand
controller (or make a new hand controller that has a built-in GPS)?

I think it is a great mount, but I believe it could use a few technology upgrades to make it
even greater. Communication between the PC and hand controller is probably the thing
that would help me the most.

-Dave

--- In ap-gto@..., "Norm" <wskystalker@...> wrote:

[...]

In a message dated 3/22/2008 8:54:57 AM Central Daylight Time, dean@...
writes:

I am very new to using the Sky6, and the AP1200 for that matter, but it is
working fine for me right now. I turn on my mount in auto connect with the
hand controller attached. Open the Sky and connect, connect Maxim to the
Sky, then tell Sky to slew to a star, take an image, adjust with the hand
controller, Recal with the Sky. I never touch the hand controller again. I

park in #3 with no problems using the Sky6.

Have no idea what I am doing right or wrong but it is working, CCDC is
working well and plate solving accurately, getting my targets centered, etc.
What you are doing is quite correct and will always work fine.

Rolando

**************
Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video on
AOL Home.

In a message dated 3/21/2008 10:52:36 PM Central Daylight Time,
taka@... writes:

I wish we had a serial port on the hand controller so everything would go
through the
hand controller.
It cannot be done this way. The way the system works is that all programs
that control the mount are independent. There is no provision in the keypad for
you to adress it from an outside source. We provide a lot of flexibility with
this system. We can suggest ways for you to use it remotely, but it is always
up to you, the user, to impliment a correct procedure. In the future we will
have more robust software available for remote imaging (Ray Gralack is working
on a new control scheme). For now, if you must use ASCOM to control the mount,
then use the keypad in the EXT mode, and only use it for centering the object.
Do all your startup and parking functions through your ASCOM programs.

Yes, it is tempting to always blame the mount when something goes wrong, but
it is usually misunderstanding by the customer, or 3rd party software glitches
which causes the problem, and the mount is only doing what it is told to do.

Rolando

**************
Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video on
AOL Home.

Dean S

Hi Norm, Dave,

I am very new to using the Sky6, and the AP1200 for that matter, but it is working fine for me right now. I turn on my mount in auto connect with the hand controller attached. Open the Sky and connect, connect Maxim to the Sky, then tell Sky to slew to a star, take an image, adjust with the hand controller, Recal with the Sky. I never touch the hand controller again. I park in #3 with no problems using the Sky6.

Have no idea what I am doing right or wrong but it is working, CCDC is working well and plate solving accurately, getting my targets centered, etc.

Dean Sch

[...]

Ray Gralak <rgr@...>

Hi Norm,

As others may have said, you should check the time/time zone you have set up
in the hand controller. If you have not updated it and slewed to near the
meridian there might be an issue when you connected to PEMPro, which uses
the ASCOM driver to connect. The ASCOM driver always sends the PC's
time/time zone, and long/lat. If the time and time zone don't match then the
mount flip point won't be at the meridian any more.

-Ray

[...]

In a message dated 3/22/2008 2:32:22 PM Central Daylight Time,
taka@... writes:

Note that I am not blaming the mount. The current requirements just make
it a bit more
difficult for me to use it. Because of the issues I have run into in the
past, I haven't
developed confidence that I can park/unpark the mount remotely.
You don't have to park this mount. It will not get lost if you simply turn
off the power with the scope at any convenient place. You don't need to unpark
the mount either. Just turn the power back on and let a suitable program
initialize it (Pulse Guide) - no need for the keypad to do anything. The mount will
not be lost. It knows exactly where it is. The only way it gets "lost" is if
your external program changes something and re-defines the present RA position
with a new one.

And yes, according to the post headline, you are blaming the mount "AP 1200
got lost again!" The fact is that your external programs sent the mount to a
new place by redefining the present RA position.

Rolando

**************
Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video on
AOL Home.

Dave Weaver

Note that I am not blaming the mount. The current requirements just make it a bit more
difficult for me to use it. Because of the issues I have run into in the past, I haven't
developed confidence that I can park/unpark the mount remotely. I like to be in the
observatory to perform those operations.

My procedure is:

0) power i[ the mount
1) resume from ref park 1 via hand controller
2) center object and sync from the hand controller
3) connect TheSky6 (currently using built-in support, not ASCOM)
4) connect MaxIM DL
5) image in MaxIM DL and fine-center object
6) sync TheSky6
7) disconnect MaxIM DL and TheSky6
8) park at 1 using hand controller
9) power down the mount

The above works. I gave up on using MaxPoint for now because the ASCOM driver isn't as
robust as the built-in driver in TheSky6 if I power down the mount without disconnecting
TheSky6. I also believe that MaxPoint may aggravate issues when using the hand
controller. I have a TPoint license, once I get my mount fine aligned I may try using
TPoint instead of MaxPoint. My fine alignment is off since I changed to a shorter pier.

Thanks,
-Dave

taka@... writes:

[...]

r1300rs

I don't seem to be having problems either; as long as time and location are precise.

How do you connect to TheSky: Using Telescope API (ASCOM) I assume.

Then do you use: "The Sky Controlled Telescope" for everything else?

Thanks.

Roland Christen

In a message dated 3/23/2008 8:50:18 AM Central Daylight Time,
cardiofuse@... writes:

How do you connect to TheSky: Using Telescope API (ASCOM) I assume.
You do not need ASCOM to connect TheSky to the mount. Just run a serial
connection between laptop and servo, and connect TheSky to the mount via Com1
directly. This program has all the necessary software built in to work directly
with the mount servo.

Rolando

**************
Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video on
AOL Home.

mogulskier_groups

I had an issue for awhile with the mount's lat/long position. For
some reason, it was positioning me somewhere near China (I'm in
California). And the mount was diving under as you say. I'm sure
you have done this, but check the E/W of your longitude setting. If
you are in the USA, it should be W. For some reason that I still
can't determine, between uses, it got changed. Perhaps PemPro is
adjusting that setting for you?

Dave

wskystalker@... writes:

[...]

And.. you don't even have to power the mount off. Just move it by
hand to center an object in your finder, locate and center it in your
camera, and then synch again (as long as you're on the West side of
the pier facing Eastward)

Dave