From: phenrotay
To: ap-gto@...
Sent: Sunday, December 16, 2007 3:10 AM
Subject: [ap-gto] Fw: [SPAM] Fw: [ASCOM] Re: Error in AP driver

Hello,
I am the one who identified the glitch and posted on ASCOM-Talk.
If further information or tests are needed, do not hesitate to
contact me.
This is a Mach1 mount, 4.12 GTO keypad. Driver is 4.1.25.
Helper2.dll is dated 7-apr-2005, 45056 bytes.
I wonder what is the impact. Any idea ?

Regards,
Pierre

Pierre Henrotay

Sure, but how can this done ? I see no trace check box in the setup
for the driver. I suppose there is a trick.

Pierre
--- In ap-gto@..., "Chuck Faranda" <mail_lists2@...>
wrote:

I think a serial trace would identify what your mount is sending
when
queried for the longitude.

Chuck

I am the one who identified the glitch and posted on ASCOM-Talk.
If further information or tests are needed, do not hesitate to
contact me.
This is a Mach1 mount, 4.12 GTO keypad. Driver is 4.1.25.
Helper2.dll is dated 7-apr-2005, 45056 bytes.
I wonder what is the impact. Any idea ?

Regards,
Pierre

Chuck Faranda <mail_lists2@...>

Look in the folder ..&#92;Program Files&#92;Common Files&#92;ASCOM for 'TraceOn.vbs'. Double click it, select yes to the msg, run the test. Double click 'TraceOff.vbs' in
the same folder to stop the logging. The log file should be in C:&#92;SerialTrace.txt.

Chuck

wrote:

> I think a serial trace would identify what your mount is sending
when
> queried for the longitude.
>
> Chuck

Pierre Henrotay

Hereafter an extract of the file; puzzling !
[14:25:00] Transmit(":Gt#")...
[14:25:00] ...done
[14:25:00] ReceiveTerminated("#")...
[14:25:01] ...received "+50*35:00#"
[14:25:01] Transmit(":Gg#")...
[14:25:01] ...done
[14:25:01] ReceiveTerminated("#")...
[14:25:01] ...received "+355*50:00#"

When looking at location #1, it says
E 005:50:00
N 50:35:00
This is 4.12 revision L

wrote:

> I think a serial trace would identify what your mount is
sending
when
> queried for the longitude.
>
> Chuck

Ajai Sehgal

Pierre,

Silly question: Did you click the "Get Lat/Long" button in the setup
dialog? Please start a trace just before you do and send it to me.
Also please tell me what appears in the dialog afterwards. This code
is very simple. The mount is reporting the CORRECT information from
your trace below +355*50:00 in AP's format really means E 005:50:00
in standard terms (they measure 360deg positive westward from the
prime meridian).

Here is how the driver works: After putting in the correct LAT and
LONG settings in the dialog initially, click APPLY. This will set
the values into the mount controller (you can also set them into the
controller by hand but BEFORE A GET make sure that the controller is
initialized and you have selected the correct location (I suspect
that you had not done this when getting the bogus values). After
that, clicking on GET LAT/LONG should correspond to the correct values

Ajai

--- In ap-gto@..., "phenrotay" <Pierre.Henrotay@...>

wrote:

> I think a serial trace would identify what your mount is
sending
when
> queried for the longitude.
>
> Chuck

Ray Gralak <rgr@...>

Hi Ajai,

Silly question: Did you click the "Get Lat/Long" button in the setup
dialog? Please start a trace just before you do and send it to me.
Also please tell me what appears in the dialog afterwards. This code
is very simple. The mount is reporting the CORRECT information from
your trace below +355*50:00 in AP's format really means E 005:50:00
in standard terms (they measure 360deg positive westward from the
prime meridian).
I believe that calculation is incorrect. It should be:

360:00:00 - 355:50:00 = 4:10:00

-Ray

Pierre Henrotay

Not a silly question at all.
Yes, I:
- set the correct value in the controller (it shows E 5 50) for
location 1
- select location 1
- start ASCOM tracing then MaxIm
- connect to the telescope (using MaxIm) and show setup display
- I click "Get..."
- the setup display shows E 4 10

Confusing: the string returned by the mount for Gg as shown in the
trace is +355*50:00 ... which is definitely wrong (360 - 355 50 00
gives indeed 4 10, not 5 50 !!)

Something wrong in the firmware itself ?

Pierre

wrote:

> I think a serial trace would identify what your mount is
sending
when
> queried for the longitude.
>
> Chuck

Pierre Henrotay

And note that latitude is returned correctly !!!

wrote:

> I think a serial trace would identify what your mount is
sending
when
> queried for the longitude.
>
> Chuck

Ray Gralak <rgr@...>

FWIW, in PulseGuide I use a range of -180 to +180 for longitude (not 0-360).

I wonder if the keypad sets the range 0-360?

-Ray

<mailto:ap-gto%40yahoogroups.com> , "phenrotay" <Pierre.Henrotay@>

<mailto:ap-gto%40yahoogroups.com> , "Chuck Faranda" <mail_lists2@>
wrote:

Look in the folder ..&#92;Program Files&#92;Common Files&#92;ASCOM
for 'TraceOn.vbs'. Double click it, select yes to the msg, run
the
test. Double click 'TraceOff.vbs' in
the same folder to stop the logging. The log file should be in
C:&#92;SerialTrace.txt.

Chuck

I am the one who identified the glitch and posted on ASCOM-
Talk.
If further information or tests are needed, do not hesitate
contact me.
This is a Mach1 mount, 4.12 GTO keypad. Driver is 4.1.25.
Helper2.dll is dated 7-apr-2005, 45056 bytes.
I wonder what is the impact. Any idea ?

Regards,
Pierre

Chuck Faranda <mail_lists2@...>

Hi Ray,

Odd, this is contrary to what the docs imply:
Command: :Sg DDD*MM# or :Sg DDD*MM:SS#

It does not indicate a 'sign' in front of the degrees like other commands do. So, you are sending the 'SL' with strings like -80*25:33 or 120*13:20, yes?

Chuck

FWIW, in PulseGuide I use a range of -180 to +180 for longitude (not 0-360).

I wonder if the keypad sets the range 0-360?

-Ray

Chuck Faranda <mail_lists2@...>

Meant "Sg"

Odd, this is contrary to what the docs imply:
Command: :Sg DDD*MM# or :Sg DDD*MM:SS#

It does not indicate a 'sign' in front of the degrees like other commands do. So, you are sending the 'SL' with strings like -80*25:33 or 120*13:20, yes?

Chuck

Pierre Henrotay

This would explain why I get a longitude set to blank (for E/W) and
all 0s when I retrieve the site info in PulseGuide, or ?

Pierre
--- In ap-gto@..., "Ray Gralak" <rgr@...> wrote:

FWIW, in PulseGuide I use a range of -180 to +180 for longitude
(not 0-360).

I wonder if the keypad sets the range 0-360?

-Ray

I am the one who identified the glitch and posted on
ASCOM-
Talk.
If further information or tests are needed, do not
hesitate
contact me.
This is a Mach1 mount, 4.12 GTO keypad. Driver is 4.1.25.
Helper2.dll is dated 7-apr-2005, 45056 bytes.
I wonder what is the impact. Any idea ?

Regards,
Pierre

Ray Gralak <rgr@...>

Hi Chuck,

Negative values work just fine in the test I just did.

-Ray

I am the one who identified the glitch and posted on ASCOM-
Talk.
If further information or tests are needed, do not hesitate
contact me.
This is a Mach1 mount, 4.12 GTO keypad. Driver is 4.1.25.
Helper2.dll is dated 7-apr-2005, 45056 bytes.
I wonder what is the impact. Any idea ?

Regards,
Pierre

Chuck Faranda <mail_lists2@...>

Okay, I guess the docs just left out the sign desination.

Thanks Ray

I am the one who identified the glitch and posted on
ASCOM-
Talk.
If further information or tests are needed, do not
hesitate
contact me.
This is a Mach1 mount, 4.12 GTO keypad. Driver is 4.1.25.
Helper2.dll is dated 7-apr-2005, 45056 bytes.
I wonder what is the impact. Any idea ?

Regards,
Pierre

Pierre Henrotay

Hi Ray,

reading back from PEMPro ? You mean PulseGuide, or ?

[...]

Yes, PulseGuide. Sorry!

-Ray

I am the one who identified the glitch and posted on
ASCOM-
Talk.
If further information or tests are needed, do not
hesitate
contact me.
This is a Mach1 mount, 4.12 GTO keypad. Driver is
4.1.25.
Helper2.dll is dated 7-apr-2005, 45056 bytes.
I wonder what is the impact. Any idea ?

Regards,
Pierre

Pierre Henrotay

Chuck,

as the AP protocol is extending the LX200, I read back the LX200
description (http://www.meade.com/support/LX200CommandSet.pdf)
This indicates the presence of the sign, and that East longitudes are
negative (so -180 to 180 is the expected range).
The trace from ASCOM - and the log from PulseGuide both show a value
near 360 (but wrong: 355*50 for E 5 50).