Mach1 critique in S&T Dec 2007

Gerald Sargent <sargentg@...>

The Nov issue of S&T has just arrived and the "next month's contents"
does not mention it. Likewise the contents list for the Dec issue of
Sky &Telescope, vol 114, No 6 on the "www.skypub.com" website
does not mention the Mach 1.
What have I got wrong please ? Gerald

Dr. David Toth

At 02:52 AM 11/1/2007, Gerald Sargent wrote:
The Nov issue of S&T has just arrived and the "next month's contents"
does not mention it. Likewise the contents list for the Dec issue of
Sky &Telescope, vol 114, No 6 on the "www.skypub.com" website
does not mention the Mach 1.
What have I got wrong please ? Gerald
The Mach 1 is reviewed in New Products in the Dec. issue, page 37, entitled "Staying on Track" ...
A good read ....

Dave

Kent Kirkley

In a message dated 11/1/2007 11:44:35 AM Central Daylight Time,
J.Zeglinski@rogers.com writes:

Back to topic - I am surprised that S&T didn't scoop the astro publishing
world with such a major announcement review (prepared in advanced) of the
AP3600 - somebody there, in the new management, asleep at the wheel - (they
probably aren't astro literate) ?
They could have sent Dennis DiCicco to Antarctica to test it, and he would
have been back ... by morning :-)

Dennis was at AIC2006 in San Jose last weekend, taking photographs of all
the new gear, including the AP3600GTO.

Kent Kirkley

Larry Phillips

Your December issue is the one that should have just arrived. The
November issue has been out for a month.

Larry

--- In ap-gto@yahoogroups.com, Gerald Sargent <sargentg@...> wrote:

The Nov issue of S&T has just arrived and the "next month's contents"
does not mention it. Likewise the contents list for the Dec issue of
Sky &Telescope, vol 114, No 6 on the "www.skypub.com" website
does not mention the Mach 1.
What have I got wrong please ? Gerald

Dean S

Magazine dates make about as much sense as buying 2008 model cars in 2007???

Your December issue is the one that should have just arrived. The
November issue has been out for a month.

Larry

--- In ap-gto@yahoogroups.com, Gerald Sargent <sargentg@...> wrote:

The Nov issue of S&T has just arrived and the "next month's contents"
does not mention it. Likewise the contents list for the Dec issue of
Sky &Telescope, vol 114, No 6 on the "www.skypub.com" website
does not mention the Mach 1.
What have I got wrong please ? Gerald

Yahoo! Groups Links

Joe Zeglinski

Hi Dean,

That is one thing that has always really bugged me about S&T magazine -
now, recently another, that they have gone back to stapling, and you can't
find an old issue since there is no longer a "spine" to see the date in a
carton.

Wish they would publish a "special interim issue", and then get the
publishing dates back to a normal sequence. I suppose they do that on purpose,
to give us a couple of months time in reading completely through an issue, in
preparation for some cosmological event, we wouldn't want to miss.

Does any other monthly magazine publish months in advance?
For me, it's more annoying than supposedly well intentioned.

Joe

Magazine dates make about as much sense as buying 2008 model cars in 2007???

Your December issue is the one that should have just arrived. The
November issue has been out for a month.

Larry

--- In ap-gto@yahoogroups.com, Gerald Sargent <sargentg@...> wrote:

The Nov issue of S&T has just arrived and the "next month's contents"
does not mention it. Likewise the contents list for the Dec issue of
Sky &Telescope, vol 114, No 6 on the "www.skypub.com" website
does not mention the Mach 1.
What have I got wrong please ? Gerald

Yahoo! Groups Links

Yahoo! Groups Links

Dean S

I e-mail and raised all sorts of fuss when my first issue came with the
cheaper binding. Really cheapens the magazine, and like you said, not
having the spline means we can't easily reference older issues.

I recently rain into Shawn Walker and let him know my feelings too :)

Oh well, everyone is having to trim the fat, and they are no different. I
do hope AP is an exception and continues taking the "High Road."

Magazine dates make about as much sense as buying 2008 model cars in
2007???

Your December issue is the one that should have just arrived. The
November issue has been out for a month.

Larry

--- In ap-gto@yahoogroups.com, Gerald Sargent <sargentg@...> wrote:

The Nov issue of S&T has just arrived and the "next month's contents"
does not mention it. Likewise the contents list for the Dec issue of
Sky &Telescope, vol 114, No 6 on the "www.skypub.com" website
does not mention the Mach 1.
What have I got wrong please ? Gerald

Yahoo! Groups Links

Yahoo! Groups Links

Yahoo! Groups Links

Joe Zeglinski

Dean,

One final S&T criticism before I stop (my off topic rant).
I too complained to the editor that it was really dumb on the part of their
new owners, to make the magazine changes in mid year. Anyone who binds their
collections, will have a few issues this year which will not be cut to the
same size - really tacky!
They could/should have waited for the January issue to make drastic changes.
Looks like the new owners wanted to put their "boot-prints" on their latest
acquisition.

I am beginning to wonder if S&T's days/years are now numbered, with failed
business attempts at two other excellent spin off magazines, and now with new,
possibly ignorant or non-caring, corporate owners.
Too bad - S&T has always been a gem.

William R. Mattil <wrmattil@...>

Joseph Zeglinski wrote:

Back to topic - I am surprised that S&T didn't scoop the astro publishing world with such a major announcement review (prepared in advanced) of the AP3600 - somebody there, in the new management, asleep at the wheel - (they probably aren't astro literate) ?
How could S&T make this announcement if they were not aware of it ? Sheesh. There are plenty of things to flame them for so that we need not resort to making things up.

Bill

--

William R. Mattil : http://www.celestial-images.com

Joe Zeglinski

William,

My point was, I expect "news people" to be on top of stories in their
industry, that is what I PAY them for, or I would just subscribe to the
internet. They should have been prep'd, with a story to go out with the issue.
What ... they just sit there in their office and wait for this group, or what
pops up at a conference? The Mach1 review took long enough, so I suppose S&T
will report further on the AP3600 - "in the fullness of time ... next spring.

Sheesh indeed,
Joe

Back to topic - I am surprised that S&T didn't scoop the astro
publishing
world with such a major announcement review (prepared in advanced) of the
AP3600 - somebody there, in the new management, asleep at the wheel - (they
probably aren't astro literate) ?
How could S&T make this announcement if they were not aware of it ?
Sheesh. There are plenty of things to flame them for so that we need not
resort to making things up.

Bill

--

William R. Mattil : http://www.celestial-images.com

Dean S

It may have more to do with who spends the most in advertising, ie $$$$. AP
runs a nice small ad compared to the full page color ads of others.

But that is ok because AP doesn't need the hipe to sell their products.

Joseph Zeglinski wrote:
William,

My point was, I expect "news people" to be on top of stories in their industry, that is what I PAY them for, or I would just subscribe to the internet. They should have been prep'd, with a story to go out with the issue. What ... they just sit there in their office and wait for this group, or what pops up at a conference?
Are you kidding ? I want to make certain that I get this right. You are saying that S&T needs to have full time reporters camped out at all manufacturers offices day and night bugging them for new info ? If that is the case then you don't understand how it works. The manufacturer notifies the magazine and then the magazine prints the information. Roland elected to make the announcement for the 3600 at AIC. And you expect that S&T somehow should have been able to deduce that something big (pun intended) was happening and report on it. Argh ........

Now if you want to whine about S&T's delaying in printing the article on the Mach1 then by all means flail away. But lambasting them for not knowing about the AP3600 seems ridiculous to me.

The Mach1 review took long enough, so I suppose S&T will report further on the AP3600 - "in the fullness of time ... next spring.

Sheesh indeed,
Indeed ! <lol>

Bill

Carry on Boys..............

--

At 03:46 PM 11/1/2007, Joseph Zeglinski wrote:
William,

My point was, I expect "news people" to be on top of stories in their
industry, that is what I PAY them for, or I would just subscribe to the
internet. They should have been prep'd, with a story to go out with the issue.
What ... they just sit there in their office and wait for this group, or what
pops up at a conference? The Mach1 review took long enough, so I suppose S&T
will report further on the AP3600 - "in the fullness of time ... next spring.

Sheesh indeed,
Joe
Joe: the 3600 was kept a secret til the morning of AIC ... let's be reasonable here.

If AP wanted to keep it a secret and announce it at AIC, do you think diCicco and Walker should have mounted a black ops mission on the chance that a break-in at the plant would have revealed the existence of the mount?
How about this: AP tells S&T about the mount and asks them to keep quiet about it til the announcement at AIC!

AP put the pics/announcement on their website that morning. I think it is nice that folks respect their wishes.

Dave

Joe Zeglinski

If I were in their line of work, I would maintain a continual liaison with
major product manufacturers, so I would have a heads up, (with a non
disclosure agreement), and be prepared with an article. I'm not talking about
mind reading here.
I suppose it will be Hot Flash item in the January issue.

Joe

Bert Katzung

It may not even be in the January issue. Most magazines have to have their copy to the printer at least a couple of months before the publish date. Bottom line: only the web is capable of up-to-the-minute news.
Bert

If I were in their line of work, I would maintain a continual liaison with major product manufacturers, so I would have a heads up, (with a non disclosure agreement), and be prepared with an article. I'm not talking about mind reading here.
I suppose it will be Hot Flash item in the January issue.

Joe

see http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ap-gto Yahoo! Groups Links

ayiomamitis

--- In ap-gto@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph Zeglinski" <J.Zeglinski@...> wrote:

If I were in their line of work, I would maintain a continual
liaison with
major product manufacturers, so I would have a heads up, (with a non
disclosure agreement), and be prepared with an article. I'm not
talking about
mind reading here.
I suppose it will be Hot Flash item in the January issue.
I don't mean to play the devil's advocate but perhaps the mount was
completed very late for any possible review and scoop buy the time the
conference came around.

Just a thought ...

Anthony.

Joe

Elenillor

I got my October S&T on 10/31. I will not be renewing my subscription
when it expires. The much higher international subscription rate
should cover the cost of something a little faster than a slow boat to
Japan. May not renew when I get back to the US.

--- In ap-gto@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Phillips" <llp41astro@...> wrote:

Your December issue is the one that should have just arrived. The
November issue has been out for a month.

Larry

--- In ap-gto@yahoogroups.com, Gerald Sargent <sargentg@> wrote:

The Nov issue of S&T has just arrived and the "next month's contents"
does not mention it. Likewise the contents list for the Dec issue of
Sky &Telescope, vol 114, No 6 on the "www.skypub.com" website
does not mention the Mach 1.
What have I got wrong please ? Gerald

Wiggins, Rick

Hi,
Is it true that Britney Spears is secretely testing a new AP 4800
Fork Mount? Wait til this hits the tabloids!
Couldn't resist.
Thanks, Rick

Rick Wiggins wrote:
Hi,
Is it true that Britney Spears is secretely testing a new AP 4800 Fork Mount? Wait til this hits the tabloids!
Couldn't resist.

Rumor mill has it that the new owners of S&T are changing the name of the mag to

National Sky & Telescope Enquirer

Watch for paparazzi at a star party near you.

Bill

--

William R. Mattil : http://www.celestial-images.com