GTO Keypad Firmware

Larry Phillips

Can anyone tell me if version 4.12 of the GTO Keypad firmware is still
shipping with the current Mach1GTO mount or has there been an update
released?

I read somewhere that it is to be updated soon. If so, when will
Mach1GTO mounts have the updated firmware included when shipped?

Also, will the next update of the firmware require changes to the
manual?

Larry

Hi Larry,

We are planning to finish up the 4.2 keypad code soon, then will
release it to the beta group. After beta, we will have it available
on our website for downloading.

Marj Christen
Astro-Physics

--- In ap-gto@..., "Larry Phillips" <llp41astro@...>
wrote:

Can anyone tell me if version 4.12 of the GTO Keypad firmware is
still
shipping with the current Mach1GTO mount or has there been an
update
released?

I read somewhere that it is to be updated soon. If so, when will
Mach1GTO mounts have the updated firmware included when shipped?

Also, will the next update of the firmware require changes to the
manual?

Larry

masterson_harold <hfm5022@...>

Marj,

Any hints on what 4.2 will include?

Harold

wrote:

Can anyone tell me if version 4.12 of the GTO Keypad firmware is
still
shipping with the current Mach1GTO mount or has there been an
update
released?

I read somewhere that it is to be updated soon. If so, when will
Mach1GTO mounts have the updated firmware included when shipped?

Also, will the next update of the firmware require changes to the
manual?

Larry

Howard Hedlund

Hi Harold,

I'm not Marj, but I'm pretty familiar with the v.4.20 firmware project
and am personally beta testing the firmware. There are several nice
additions to the already impressive functionality and reliability of
v.4.12. Most notable are some new database catalogs. (Details on
some of these are still being hammered out.) In addition, v.4.20 will
allow a wider selection of mounts including the Mach1GTO and mounts from
Parallax and Mathis that use our GoTo system. The keypad will now be
able to poll the mount for the ROM chip version so you no longer have to
pull the cover off of your control box to check your chip. The "What's
up now?" function has been greatly improved allowing far better control
of the objects it selects. A bookmark function has been added that
allows you to program a night's worth of observing targets into a list,
or to keep a new found favorite handy for further examination. I used
this feature just last night with comet Holmes 17P, that I was showing
to trick-or-treaters. I only had to enter the RA and dec once, then I
bookmarked it, and all night long I could slew around to different
objects and always get back to the comet very quickly. All the ghouls
and goblins were really impressed!

Mag. 7 skies!

Howard Hedlund

Astro-Physics, Inc.

815-282-1513

________________________________

"Larry Phillips" <llp41astro@>
wrote:

Can anyone tell me if version 4.12 of the GTO Keypad firmware is
still
shipping with the current Mach1GTO mount or has there been an
update
released?

I read somewhere that it is to be updated soon. If so, when will
Mach1GTO mounts have the updated firmware included when shipped?

Also, will the next update of the firmware require changes to the
manual?

Larry

Jeff Young <jey@...>

Howard --

The new bookmark feature sounds great.

As far as the catalogs go, I'd love to see Arp, Hickson's, the Abell
PNs, and the rest of the ADS catalog. Palomar might be cool too, but I
can't seem to see most of them....

Cheers,
-- Jeff.

________________________________

From: ap-gto@... <mailto:ap-gto%40yahoogroups.com>
Christen" <marj@...> wrote:

> Hi Larry,
>
> We are planning to finish up the 4.2 keypad code soon, then
will
> release it to the beta group. After beta, we will have it
available
> on our website for downloading.
>
> Marj Christen
> Astro-Physics
>

> --- In ap-gto@...
<mailto:ap-gto%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:ap-gto%40yahoogroups.com> ,
"Larry Phillips" <llp41astro@>
> wrote:
> >
> > Can anyone tell me if version 4.12 of the GTO Keypad
firmware is
> still
> > shipping with the current Mach1GTO mount or has there been
an
> update
> > released?
> >
> > I read somewhere that it is to be updated soon. If so, when
will
> > Mach1GTO mounts have the updated firmware included when
shipped?

> > Also, will the next update of the firmware require changes
to the
> > manual?
> >
> > Larry

ayiomamitis

--- In ap-gto@..., "Howard" <howard@...> wrote:

Hi Harold,

A bookmark function has been added that
allows you to program a night's worth of observing targets into a list,
or to keep a new found favorite handy for further examination. I used
this feature just last night with comet Holmes 17P, that I was showing
to trick-or-treaters. I only had to enter the RA and dec once, then I
bookmarked it, and all night long I could slew around to different
objects and always get back to the comet very quickly. All the ghouls
and goblins were really impressed!
This is a GREAT addition since we can now slew to zenith for focusing
and then right back to our target. Good stuff!!!!

Just a suggestion: it would be really neat if we can add our own
catalog in some future release/version. For example, I personally do
not care much about the double star catalog and which I would love to
be able to replace with the Sharpless catalog of emission nebulae
and/or the Barnard catalog of dark nebulae etc etc.

Anyway, the new version sounds very exciting. I will keep an eye on
the beta-test group on a more frequent basis from now on.

Anthony.

Mag. 7 skies!

Howard Hedlund

Astro-Physics, Inc.

815-282-1513

________________________________

--- In ap-gto@..., "Jeff Young" <jey@...> wrote:

Howard --

The new bookmark feature sounds great.

As far as the catalogs go, I'd love to see Arp, Hickson's, the Abell
PNs, and the rest of the ADS catalog. Palomar might be cool too, but I
can't seem to see most of them....
Me too as far as Arp and Abell .... hhmmm, poll time .... give me a
few minutes. :-)

Anthony.

Cheers,
-- Jeff.

________________________________

From: ap-gto@... <mailto:ap-gto%40yahoogroups.com>
Christen" <marj@> wrote:

> Hi Larry,
>
> We are planning to finish up the 4.2 keypad code soon, then
will
> release it to the beta group. After beta, we will have it
available
> on our website for downloading.
>
> Marj Christen
> Astro-Physics
>

> --- In ap-gto@...
<mailto:ap-gto%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:ap-gto%40yahoogroups.com> ,
"Larry Phillips" <llp41astro@>
> wrote:
> >
> > Can anyone tell me if version 4.12 of the GTO Keypad
firmware is
> still
> > shipping with the current Mach1GTO mount or has there been
an
> update
> > released?
> >
> > I read somewhere that it is to be updated soon. If so, when
will
> > Mach1GTO mounts have the updated firmware included when
shipped?

> > Also, will the next update of the firmware require changes
to the
> > manual?
> >
> > Larry

masterson_harold <hfm5022@...>

Howard,

Thanks. Will the control of the "What's up now" allow me to set a
filter which eliminates objects below a settable elevation angle? I
spend a lot of time slewing to objects below the local tree line.

Harold

wrote:

Can anyone tell me if version 4.12 of the GTO Keypad firmware
is
still
shipping with the current Mach1GTO mount or has there been an
update
released?

I read somewhere that it is to be updated soon. If so, when
will
Mach1GTO mounts have the updated firmware included when shipped?

Also, will the next update of the firmware require changes to
the
manual?

Larry

Joe Zeglinski

Sounds like it would be nice to have uploadable catalogs, that we could
swap space with existing ones that might not be in someone's particular field
of interest or study.

Joe

From: ap-gto@... <mailto:ap-gto%40yahoogroups.com>

wrote:

Can anyone tell me if version 4.12 of the GTO Keypad
firmware is
still
shipping with the current Mach1GTO mount or has there been
an
update
released?

I read somewhere that it is to be updated soon. If so, when
will
Mach1GTO mounts have the updated firmware included when
shipped?

Also, will the next update of the firmware require changes
to the
manual?

Larry

Yahoo! Groups Links

Howard Hedlund

Hello Harold,

The filter is supposed to work in conjunction with the horizon limits
that you can set (which are also available in v.4.12). I have not
tried this out yet, but will do so the next time I am out. I hadn't
really thought about it before, but I imagine that most people would
benefit from using a horizon limit of at least 20 degrees whenever using
the "What's up now?" function. Why waste time slewing to dim fuzzies
that are lost in the soup? You can set the horizon limit all the way
up to 50 degrees. Then "What's up now?" becomes "What's in prime
viewing location now?" ;-) Excellent suggestion!

Mag. 7 skies!

Howard Hedlund

Astro-Physics, Inc.

815-282-1513

________________________________

From: ap-gto@... <mailto:ap-gto%40yahoogroups.com>

wrote:

Can anyone tell me if version 4.12 of the GTO Keypad firmware
is
still
shipping with the current Mach1GTO mount or has there been an
update
released?

I read somewhere that it is to be updated soon. If so, when
will
Mach1GTO mounts have the updated firmware included when shipped?

Also, will the next update of the firmware require changes to
the
manual?

Larry

zeidler02 <mzeidler@...>

Is there any update to this thread which dates back into November?

I for one would love to see some of the new features.
Mike

--- In ap-gto@..., "Joseph Zeglinski" <J.Zeglinski@...>

From: ap-gto@... <mailto:ap-gto%40yahoogroups.com>
[mailto:ap-gto@... <mailto:ap-gto%