AP1200 PE/PEMPro Query

Roland Christen

In a message dated 10/18/2007 6:34:42 PM Central Daylight Time,
richard.kinsey@... writes:

Hi Ray, yes, I have only been using PEMPro to record the PE. I
haven't downloaded any information to the mount, so the original PEC
data should be retained. I will do as you suggest, but can you please
explain how I can downlaod the PEC data from the mount and invert it?
Many thanks, Richard
Inverting the PEM data will not work. The data was taken with lab equipment
and then downloaded to the memory. The mount was then run again to insure that
the periodic error was reduced and a record of both before and after was
taken. The data in the mount is correctly loaded and should not be inverted. If you
want to save this data to your computer, you can do so with PemPro and store
it on your laptop. You can make a new curve using PemPro on the night sky,
taking several cycles of PE, smooth it and download it to your PE memory in the
servo. If this works better than the original, then use it.

Rolando

**************************************
See what's new at
http://www.aol.com

Richard Kinsey

I have recently taken delivery of a new AP1200 and just run PEMPro to
have a look at the PE curve. I have run PEMPro several times with PEC
disabled and recorded between 4 and 6 worm cycles each time. The
results have produced PE curves showing 1.37, 1.6 and 1.1 arc secs peak
to peak. On the basis that PEC is pre-programmed on the AP1200, I then
ran PEMPro with PEC enabled and obtained a curve showing 3.2 arc secs
peak to peak. Obviously the results look as they should be the other
way around and I am wondering whether the pre-programmed PEC operates
with PEC turned off? If not, with PE of just over 1 arc sec without
PEC, I must have the best mount on the planet!

Thanks in advance, Richard

Ray Gralak <rgr@...>

Hi Richard,

Just to be clear... you are using PEMPro only to measure the PE, correct?

If so, it may just be that was loaded into the mount needs to be inverted.
Just use PEMPro to download the original curve and save it to a file for
future reference. Then while still in PEMPro invert the curve you just
downloaded from the mount and upload it back to the mount. Then measure the
PE again with PEM on.

-Ray

[...]

Rolando, many thanks for your message and advice. Can I please ask
thay you clarify one point. Am I right in assuming that the factory
installed lab PEC data only play's when PEC is enabled via the hand-
controller or PEMPro? If so, it would appear that the PE of the mount
is only 1.5 arc secs peak to peak without PEC, which is obviously
excellent. That being the case, is PEC likely to improve on that?

Thanks in advance, Richard

richard.kinsey@... writes:

[...]

In a message dated 10/19/2007 2:52:57 AM Central Daylight Time,
richard.kinsey@... writes:

Rolando, many thanks for your message and advice. Can I please ask
thay you clarify one point. Am I right in assuming that the factory
installed lab PEC data only play's when PEC is enabled via the hand-
controller or PEMPro? If so, it would appear that the PE of the mount
is only 1.5 arc secs peak to peak without PEC, which is obviously
excellent. That being the case, is PEC likely to improve on that?
The factory curve only plays when you turn PEM to Playback in the keypad
tools section. Otherwise it just sits in memory and is not active.

Rolando

**************************************
See what's new at
http://www.aol.com

Roland Christen

In a message dated 10/19/2007 9:12:41 AM Central Daylight Time,
richard.kinsey@... writes:

Hi Ray, one question please. Having checked all the settings in
PEMPro and the ASCOM settings, I discovered that the "PEM Playback"
check-box in the ASCOM settings was checked. Would this setting
override the PEC enable/disable options in PEMPro and the PEC
settings within the AP hand-controller?
The way the servo works is that it will do whatever it is commanded from
whatever source. If the keypad is set to PEM off, this is a one time command that
is given at startup. This command is not sent over and over during the
operation of the mount. No command is sent more than once from the keypad or from any
other source. Therefore, if a command from any source is sent to turn PEM ON,
then that is the command that is acted on in the servo - i.e. it is always
the last command sent to the servo that is acted on. This is true of all
commands sent to the servo. If no commands are sent, then all is quiet on the
communication lines.

This is contrary to how other mount systems (like the Meade LX200) work. In
the Meade system they use a distributed computing concept that continuously
sends software traffic at megabit rates back and forth between central mother
board, motor controllers and keypad, so that all these components always talk to
each other, and all must be in perfect synchrony in order for the system to
work. This has both strengths and weaknesses. In our system, only the servo
components inside the CP1,2,3 box continuously talk to each other, and all outside
peripherals are treated as independent entities. Therefore all peripherals,
including the keypad are silent unless you, the user, activates them. And then
the communication is always only one way - toward the servo. The servo does
not initiate communication with any outside peripheral. It does not send any
info to any peripheral ON ITS OWN for any reason. It will send info out to a
peripheral if asked for the info by that peripheral.

Rolando

**************************************
See what's new at
http://www.aol.com

Richard Kinsey

Hi Ray, one question please. Having checked all the settings in
PEMPro and the ASCOM settings, I discovered that the "PEM Playback"
check-box in the ASCOM settings was checked. Would this setting
override the PEC enable/disable options in PEMPro and the PEC
settings within the AP hand-controller? I have downloaded the PEC
data from the mount, which provides a PE curve of 2.2 arc secs peak
to peak. What I still cannot understand is why the PE was higher with
PEC enabled. I think that I will wait for a very steady night and
record it again.
[...]

It could, if you connect an application using the ASCOM driver AFTER you
changed the setting on the hand controller. Whenever you connect with the
ASCOM driver it will turn PEM on (or off) based on that checkbox.

That said, when you start acquiring data PEMPro asks if you want PEM on or
off and will send the appropriate command just before it starts (thus
overriding the setting in the ASCOM driver and keypad).

-Ray