Mach1 declination gearbox housing

jybeninger

Hi,

I would like to have confirmation that the following are normal on my
Mach1:

- The declination motor/gearbox housing is not tightly fixed: the
gearbox can be lifted slightly and the worm gear seems to disengage
when lifting it (about 1/2 inch lift on the "plug side").

- The right ascension gearbox housing is tightly fixed.

Is it the normal condition?

Thanks

Jean-Yves

observe_m13

This doesn't sound right. Mine does not have any obvious flexibility
or movement that I can notice.

Rick.

--- In ap-gto@..., "jybeninger" <jy@...> wrote:

Hi,

I would like to have confirmation that the following are normal on my
Mach1:

- The declination motor/gearbox housing is not tightly fixed: the
gearbox can be lifted slightly and the worm gear seems to disengage
when lifting it (about 1/2 inch lift on the "plug side").

- The right ascension gearbox housing is tightly fixed.

Is it the normal condition?

Thanks

Jean-Yves

jybeninger

Thanks Rick for your reply.
Rolland, Howard, here is a question for you:

I studied the housing for a while and it is definitely loose ...
that's no good ...

I have removed the 4 small screws from the cover of the declination
gearbox housing, then pulled the cover to look inside.

There are two long screws inside that are very loose: what should I
do?

Note that I am in Singapore and sending the mount all the way to USA
does not appeal much to me ... does it look like something simple?
Should I tighten the two screws? Is there some alignment procedure to
follow?

Note that I have not connected the power supply yet nor any
cables ... I am still doing the "visual" control of the mount.

I have the mount in front of my desk, on an AP portable pier, which
makes it easy to control everything.

Thank you and best regards

Jean-Yves beninger

--- In ap-gto@..., "Rick K" <JunkMailGoesHere@...> wrote:

This doesn't sound right. Mine does not have any obvious flexibility
or movement that I can notice.

Rick.

--- In ap-gto@..., "jybeninger" <jy@> wrote:

Hi,

I would like to have confirmation that the following are normal
on my
Mach1:

- The declination motor/gearbox housing is not tightly fixed: the
gearbox can be lifted slightly and the worm gear seems to
disengage
when lifting it (about 1/2 inch lift on the "plug side").

- The right ascension gearbox housing is tightly fixed.

Is it the normal condition?

Thanks

Jean-Yves

jybeninger

Hi

I just added a photo of the loose screws in a new photo folder
named "Jean-Yves".

Thank you

Jean-Yves

in the --- In ap-gto@..., "jybeninger" <jy@...> wrote:

[...]

Roland Christen

In a message dated 9/29/2007 7:35:45 PM Central Daylight Time,
jy@... writes:

I would like to have confirmation that the following are normal on my
Mach1:

- The declination motor/gearbox housing is not tightly fixed: the
gearbox can be lifted slightly and the worm gear seems to disengage
when lifting it (about 1/2 inch lift on the "plug side").

- The right ascension gearbox housing is tightly fixed.

Is it the normal condition?
Is this normal? No. There are two screws that hold the gearbox down to the
mount. They can be accessed by removing two cover screws on the top of the
gearbox. Make sure they are tightened. If you are unsure of what to do, please call
AP during the day and someone here can advise you.

Rolando

**************************************
See what's new at
http://www.aol.com

Roland Christen

In a message dated 9/30/2007 11:46:49 PM Central Daylight Time,
jy@... writes:

There are two long screws inside that are very loose: what should I
do?
Tighten them.

There is no need to send an entire mount back because of two loose screws. By
the way, one actually would loosen these two screws in order to reset the
worm mesh as per the manual (I assume you have the manual). The internal spring
then pushes the worm into mesh with the worm wheel. You then tighten these two
screws again and the worm and wheel are now perfectly mated - clever, yes?

Why they are losse on your mount, I cannot say. In any case, they are
designed for you to service (that's why the two cover screws are there on the
gearbox). So, simply tighten them and be confident that all is right with the mount.

Rolando

**************************************
See what's new at
http://www.aol.com

observe_m13

Hi Jean-Yves,

Wiggle and hold the housing in place and tighten down BOTH screws
fully. I had a motor problem with my Mach1 and had a replacement
within days of returning the defective one to AP. It was very simple
to replace the motor. Make sure that there is a slightly curved high
tension steel spring in the box as well held under the two bolts you
are speaking about. It provides the final loading of the gearing.

[...]

Thank you very much, done and ready!

Cheers

Jean-Yves