AP 1200 tracking

Dean Salman <cluster@...>

Well I got a nice suprise last night when using CCD Commander. I let
the program do what it wanted to get the exposure for the guide star
through the H-Alpha filter and it was around 18 second exposure. The
tracking was perfect with the largest error reported 0.2 I did use PAM
to polar align and was within 50 arc seconds in both directions, so
that helped.

As for PAM, I am not having much luck in using the crosshairs method
and moving the mount to polar align. Darrell told me he just does a
run and make an adjustment. Then stop PAM and run it again. This
worked very well and only took about 15 minutes. Has anyone took PAM
through th complete run using the Next button and the crosshair method
to make adjustments in the alignment (you have to have used PAM this
way to know what I am talking about)

I still want to try the Pempro 2.0 alignemnt feature. It seems drift
alignment is better over all and can be done using only one star. I
have started drift alignment 15 minutes after sunset (doing it the old
way)

Dean

eja24601

Hi Dean,

Congrats! I hope to have my AP1200 up and running. Some day....

I use PAM all the time to refine the (already wonderful) initial
polar alignment of my (cough) Takahashi EM200 (sorry) using exactly
the method you describe. Note that you need to use the physical
alt/az adjusters to make the necessary adjustments in the mount, not
the keypad. Anyways, if you have any question about this method,
feel free to ask, on or off-list.

Eric

--- In ap-gto@..., "Dean Salman" <cluster@...> wrote:

[...]

John Winfield

Yep, I use the full crosshairs align on PAM as well, but it's tricky
if your initial pointing is bad enough that the bright star you're
supposed to be centering starts off screen.
There's no directional indicator of which way you're supposed to be
moving the stars on screen, plus you've no way of knowing if you
overshoot.
Tricky problems, but not insurmountable - they could add a "platesolve
now" button which updated the movement instructions to give you an
idea of how much further you have to move.

John

--- In ap-gto@..., "eja24601" <eja24601@...> wrote:

[...]

Ray Gralak <rgr@...>

What I do in PEMPro V2's polar alignment feature is I let the user select a star
(any star) and I show them the direction that the star should be moved. You can
then toggle between the current position and original position.

As a future feature I'm planning to add sound effects so that as you adjust the
mount closer PEMPro will beep faster and higher pitched until you reach the
correct position. This allows you to make the adjustments right at the mount
without having to go back and forth from the PC.

-Ray

<mailto:ap-gto%40yahoogroups.com> , "Dean Salman" <cluster@> wrote:

[...]

Clever!

Marj Christen
Astro-Physics, Inc
11250 Forest Hills Road
Machesney Park, IL 61115
Phone: 815-282-1513
Fax: 815-282-9847
www.astro-physics.com

--- In ap-gto@yahoogroups. <mailto:ap-gto%40yahoogroups.com> com
[...]

tucstargzr

--- In ap-gto@..., "Ray Gralak" <rgr@...> wrote:
<<SNIP>>

As a future feature I'm planning to add sound effects so that as
you adjust the
mount closer PEMPro will beep faster and higher pitched until you
reach the
correct position. This allows you to make the adjustments right at
the mount
without having to go back and forth from the PC.

-Ray

I got a chuckle out of this, as a similar feature has been in ECU
(Earth Centered Universe) Planetarium Software I've used for years.

No offense meant, and I hope you don't perceive one.

Tom
Tucson, AZ

Ray Gralak <rgr@...>

As a future feature I'm planning to add sound effects so that as
you adjust the
mount closer PEMPro will beep faster and higher pitched until you
reach the
correct position. This allows you to make the adjustments right at
the mount
without having to go back and forth from the PC.

-Ray
I got a chuckle out of this, as a similar feature has been in ECU
(Earth Centered Universe) Planetarium Software I've used for years.

No offense meant, and I hope you don't perceive one.
Hi Tom,

No offense taken!

I wasn't aware that ECU uses sound but I'm guessing it's not for the same
purpose. I'm guessing in ECU it is used to signal how close you are pointing to
a target object by reading the scope coordinates. Is that correct? In PEMPro's
case you are doing the opposite... while you adjust the mount's altitude or
azimuth to achieve better polar alignment the scope coordinates do _not_ change.
PEMPro has to take a picture, get the star(s) centroid coordinates and update
the sound based on how far it is away from the theoretical target position. And
to make matters fun, until the user finishes adjusting the mount, drift is
occurring so the target position is changing!!! :-)

-Ray

[...]

Ray,

Your assumptions are correct about ECU, and I'm just a caveman
moving up to AP GTO mounts.

And yet what you are doing to nail the Polar Alignment and what
Dave LAne did to help push to guys find objects is so intuitive and
easy to follow (from the users standpoint).

Tom